NCL Baltic Sea cruise....Are ports easy to navigate on your own

sparkey25

Hi,

This is our first cruise and aside from St. Petersburg where we booked with a tour company wondering how easy it may be to sight see in the ports of Helsinki, Copenhagen and Nynasham (Stockholm) on our own using hop on and off type buses ? My DH likes to wing it but I am more of a planner. Thinking this might be a good compromise. I am confident Tallinn we can walk and explore on our own

Hi,

This is our first cruise and aside from St. Petersburg where we booked with a tour company wondering how easy it may be to sight see in the ports of Helsinki, Copenhagen and Nynasham (Stockholm) on our own using hop on and off type buses ? My DH likes to wing it but I am more of a planner. Thinking this might be a good compromise. I am confident Tallinn we can walk and explore on our own

We are doing the Baltic ports next weekend. Booked St Petersburg, Berlin, Tallinn and a debark tour in Copenhagen with airport drop off. Think the other ports you mention all have HOHO buses (and a HOHO boat in Stockholm) and we plan to use them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi,

I have no experience cruising to Stockholm, but have spent a total of 8-10 days in Stockholm on pre- and post- visits in conjunction with various meetings. In my opinion it is a nice-enough but largely forgettable city, but with three areas of attraction. First is the Vasa Ship museum. Very cool, worth 2-3 hours. The surrounding park and the art museum etc. could occupy one for a day or two. And the ABBA museum that you pass on the way in... Second is the City Hall where the Nobel dinner is held. I was there on a private tour with cocktail reception in the room where the Nobelists have their formal dinner, I am not sure what access and what sights a day-visitor might have. But if you can get there, the inside is stunning (murals etc.) and the view from the spire is quite nice. Third, which would be first on my personal list, is Gamla Stan. I have spent days just wandering the streets and alleyways of that Old Town. Also, do note that Stockholm like Venice is very much about water, and like Venice a water bus or tour boat can provide a interesting alternative view of the city.

Enjoy!

Stan

In St Petersburg we booked a 2-day tour with Alla Tours. They also provided tours in each of the other ports, for which they offered discount, if you booked a St Petersburg tour they provide an additional discount in the other ports.

In St Petersburg we booked a 2-day tour with Alla Tours. They also provided tours in each of the other ports, for which they offered discount, if you booked a St Petersburg tour they provide an additional discount in the other ports.

Yes, we have also used Alla Tours and highly recommend the exceptional tours and customer service. Prices are much less expensive, groups are smaller & much more personal and the itineraries are more comprehensive than those offered by the cruise line.

Hi,

Hi.

I'm thinking of doing this region also, did you find the Visa process for Russia easy?

(Or anyone else who has done the visa?)

Thanks

Hannahp

Hi.

I'm thinking of doing this region also, did you find the Visa process for Russia easy?

Thanks

Hannahp

If you use any of the approved tour operators in St Petersburg and also return aboard for the evening you do not require a Russian Visa. Your tour ticket doubles as your Visa.

Hi.

Thanks

Hannahp

I have the 3 year Russian visa and the process in not difficult but they do ask a great many questions. It is my understanding that UK citizens must undergo biometrics as part of the visa application process (not so in the US ... yet).

As previously pointed out, if you book your tours with a licensed tour company you will not need a visa.

Get a copy of Rick Steves' Northern European Cruise Ports. Written for the person who wants to DIY. EM

I'll add: if your cruise is not this summer, you might want to wait until August 21, when a new edition will be released.