Is Nagasaki Port walkable?

DaisyRose

Hello all,

My cruise has a stop in Nagasaki, and I'm not too interested in any of the excursions Princess is offering. I was wondering if you can walk from the ship into the town, and what there might be to see in the town. If anyone is familiar with the port, I'd appreciate any advice you can offer. Thank you so much in advance for your help.

As others have said, it is very walkable. The trams are also easy to negotiate and, certainly when we were there a few years ago, very cheap. People are friendly. It's just a really pretty place to visit.

Do the Peace Gardens (went by tram and a very kind gentleman not only told us which stop to get off, but actually alighted with us and pointed out the direction) and the Atomic Bomb Museum. This latter museum is distressing in places, but I personally feel it's a piece of history that nobody should ignore.

We took a taxi to the farthest site we wanted which was the Nagasaki ground zero complex with the peace park, and museum. From there, we walked back to the ship, with several stops along the way. Make sure you have on you, the name of the ship, and the port area. It's helpful if you need a taxi. Although, many people could speak English as a second language, but don't count on it.

Hi DaisyRose, would like to throw in my 2cents worth. When we visited Nagasaki 3 years ago did a great tour which included visiting Hashima Island. From memory the tour boats left where were docked and it was a great visit even though a bit of rough sailing. If you are a James Bond fan this island featured in one of his latest movies. If you google you will find reviews and info etc. Very interesting and really worth the visit. The tour guides we had were great and put down to one of our memorable tours. Happy sailing Cheers

• 3 weeks later...

Last December we took a tram to the Peace Park, spent some time there, then followed the signs to the Atomic Bomb Museum. While the museum was disturbing, I was very glad to have seen it. We were running short of time, so found a taxi outside the museum. I don't recall the exact price, but it was metered and reasonable.

• 2 weeks later...

Well worth catching the tram (very easy and cheap) then walk to the base of the mountain towering over N, then taking the cog train to the top - fabulous vistas and some beautiful gardens. This was sensational and google maps should give you the walking route. Afterwards you must do the ground zero park and atomic bomb museum - quite a profound, unsettling experience. The peace park, with its multiple statues, etc donated by other nations to Nagasaki in memorial, is also worthwhile.

We were in Nagasaki two weeks ago.  The Atomic Bomb Museum is certainly worth visiting, but be prepared for a disturbing experience.  The Glover Gardens are within walking distance from the cruise ship dock.  A little farther is the interesting Dejima which we found very interesting as well.