Luxury Cruise for 30th.

skyfromoz

Hello All,

I am looking to celebrate my 30th birthday with a short cruise on a luxury line. We are planning on having children shortly after and as such we thought we would like to take advantage of our last child free cruise whilst we have the chance (before our focus is on kids clubs, waterparks, entertainment etc) During the evenings we love dressing up for dinner and enjoying a long fine dining experience and heading to the bar for a few drinks after dinner. We generally spend most of the day relaxing by the pool with a book. We have heard that most of the luxury lines tend to cater to an older clientele and that we may not enjoy the experience. Is there a luxury line that suits younger clientele better or should we not be concerned.

Thanks,

Sky

I recommend SeaDream Yacht Club. It's a small ship, all inclusive, and tends to be focused on younger couples. The staterooms don't have balconies, but it's not hard to find private areas outside. Also, they have Bali beds that allow you to sleep under the stars if you wish.

It's been five years since my last SeaDream cruise. I'm jonesing for another one. :hearteyes:

The age of the cruisers tend to differ based on the length of the itinerary. Shorter itineraries tend to skew younger while longer itineraries tend to appeal to passengers that are retired. Summer and Christmas itineraries have children (even on SeaDream from what I've read) so I would avoid those times of the year.

I have heard very good things about SeaDream Yacht Club but they are definitely different than other luxury lines (Crystal, Regent, Seabourn and Silversea). They have less people, smaller cabins and no balcony (most luxury lines are all suite all balcony).

Regent is the most inclusive of the luxury lines - including such things as airfare and many excursions. Silversea is the most formal. While you can dress up on any luxury cruise line, Crystal, Regent and Seabourn passengers may choose to wear slacks and a button down shirt with no jacket (no jeans or shorts after 6:00 p.m.) while Silversea has many nights when either a jacket or dark suit & tie or tuxedo is required to dine in the main restaurant.

All of the luxury cruise lines have great food and service - it depends upon what you are most comfortable with. Before choosing Regent as our cruise line of choice back in 2004, I did quick spreadsheet comparing the ship size, suite size, dress code, number of dining venues, etc. of the four major luxury cruise lines. Suggest that you check out the websites and narrow it down.

Though you would be in the minority, if you like luxury and dressing up and hanging at the pool, any of the luxury lines mentioned would work. Silversea is overall the dressiest.

The fact that older people surround you would not have to matter, as you can get a table for two in MDR. In any event, depending on your personalities, it could be a positive, as most old people on luxury cruises are well-traveled, educated, pleasant, polite, interesting, do not drool, and love looking at good-looking young people :).

Only thing is the music played by bands on board in luxury lounges is usually for much older people, lounge lizard dooby doo type music, or maybe from the 60’s if you are lucky, or world famous pop love hits or Girl from Ipanema type stuff, not what most 30–year-olds like.

Shortest luxury cruise would be about a week, e.g., Alaska or Caribbean, not sure when your birthday is, unless you can snag a short Crystal run.

If chatting with other young people and having younger music is very important, or just seeing a lower average age, you could also look at upper premium lines like Celebrity, per my friend who has done 12 on them, people are a bit younger.

I agree withe the first two posters. SeaDream is the coolest option and the one that suits a younger demographic.

Unlike any of the others you can swim or do water sports from the platform at the stern of the yacht.

Who wants to be a ship with 450 to 800 people when you can be on a yacht with 100 and a crew of almost the same number, where you can eat al fresco for almost every meal if you wish and sleep under the stars

the cabins on seadream are rather small esp the bathrooms and the ships are getting rather old

small bathrooms is also the issue on the silver wind and cloud ( now expedition )

silversea is still rather formal , even with UK people wearing medals and knighthoods

if you have the courage : an Europa 2 with few or no sea days

or a basic penthouse on Crystal ? sometimes there are good offers for 2

friends were happy on the Crystal Esprit but found it in general rather overpriced - for sure if you do not participate in all those water events - zodiacs …

We did our first luxury cruise when we were 28. It was on Radisson which is now Regent on the Mariner. We loved it! I knew from the first few moments on board that I was hooked. Yes, we were the youngest passengers on board. It was on that cruise we discovered social ballroom dancing through the dance host. We met some great people who danced each night and listened to the duo play (who we also became quite friendly with and dined and walked around a port with. I think you description of what you enjoy would be perfect for a luxury trip.

The caribbean might be your best bet for a short cruise with a younger demographic.

Our favorite is Crystal. The dining is amazing! They have great, interesting choices with beautiful plating. Seabourn is close as well. We did a Seabourn cruise to the caribbean and it was so much fun especially the Caviar in the Surf!

• 1 month later...

A small ship with 80 passengers and no balcony does not necessarily mean that it is the right cruise line for 30 year olds. I have read that SeaDream can have quite a few families/kids.

Looking back to when I was 30, I would rather have been on Regent with a large suite, beautiful balcony, excellent service and food than a tiny boat that could or could not have compatible passengers on board.

I would not be concerned that Regent would not be the right cruise line. They have lovely, large suites, balconies, great food and service. As long as you don't sail during the summer or school breaks (Christmas for instance), there may be 1 or 2 children onboard and many times none (which is fine with us).

Another option would be the Paul Gauguin (again - not during the time when school is out). It is a small ship and sails in one of the most beautiful parts of this planet.

The previous responses have all mentioned the smaller ships. Based on your comment on a formal dining experience, you may wish to check out Cunard, especially a cabin assigned to the Princess Grill.

Cunard's food is crap. In no way can you characterize Cunard as a luxury line. We take it trans atlantic to avoid flights. I refer to it as Greyhound of the Seas.

I agree with those who recommend Sea Dream.

Looking back to when I was 30, I would rather have been on Regent with a large suite, beautiful balcony, excellent service and food than a tiny boat that could or could not have compatible passengers on board.

Another option would be the Paul Gauguin (again - not during the time when school is out). It is a small ship and sails in one of the most beautiful parts of this planet.

When I was 30, I could not afford a cruise, you were quite lucky. However, great food, 6 star service, superb drinks, caviar and champagne celebration on the beach, Windsurfing lessons, paddle boards, sailing, etc. are fabulous additions to a SeaDream cruise. I enjoyed this well after my 30's and still do. Also, Nikki Beach and evening nightlife in St. Barth's would probably appeal to them, as well.

I do agree about Paul Gaugin, one of my favorite cruises ever. A long flight, but well worth it and memorable too.

A small ship with 80 passengers and no balcony does not necessarily mean that it is the right cruise line for 30 year olds. I have read that SeaDream can have quite a few families/kids.

Looking back to when I was 30, I would rather have been on Regent with a large suite, beautiful balcony, excellent service and food than a tiny boat that could or could not have compatible passengers on board. .

I feel that way now! I would not want to vacation on a ship with 100 people or less, at least unless I knew at least a quarter of them. As you said, there just won't be many options for avoiding people you don't mix well with should there be families or groups like that. While I CAN get along with most everyone, that's not my idea of a vacation.

My target, passenger-wise, would be 500-700.

• 1 month later...

Hi, saw this thread and was wondering what Luxury Cruise Line you selected, if any and why? Looking for something similar. Thanks

Hello All,

I am looking to celebrate my 30th birthday with a short cruise on a luxury line. We are planning on having children shortly after and as such we thought we would like to take advantage of our last child free cruise whilst we have the chance (before our focus is on kids clubs, waterparks, entertainment etc) During the evenings we love dressing up for dinner and enjoying a long fine dining experience and heading to the bar for a few drinks after dinner. We generally spend most of the day relaxing by the pool with a book. We have heard that most of the luxury lines tend to cater to an older clientele and that we may not enjoy the experience. Is there a luxury line that suits younger clientele better or should we not be concerned.

Thanks,

Sky