Early afternoon in Halong Bay -- How to spend the time?

dani negreanu

Our Millie cruise overnights in Halong Bay, from noon on Dec. 18th, to 10PM on Dec. 19th.

We decided against traveling many hours to and from Hanoi.

We are already booked on Halong Bay cruise for Dec. 19th, from 9AM to 4PM (the second day).

Any ideas how to spend the 1st day early afternoon in Halong Bay, assuming we'll be off the ship at 1PM?

We've been offered an excursions to a neighboring village, Yen Duc, but it amounts to 150$ per person for a party of five. Wayyyy to much!!! For a regular taxi we're too many...

Thanks for any creative ideas,

You may want to take a taxi to Hong Gai and possibly see the fishing village there. We were there too late in the day and it was dark so we did not get to see anything except to walk around the Vincom mall. A few photos here at the bottom of this page on my blog. I was told that the fishing village is near where the Vincom mall is, but I am not sure since we did not see anything.

You may want to take a taxi to Hong Gai and possibly see the fishing village there. We were there too late in the day and it was dark so we did not get to see anything except to walk around the Vincom mall. A few photos here at the bottom of this page on my blog. I was told that the fishing village is near where the Vincom mall is, but I am not sure since we did not see anything.

Thank you so much, appreciate the reply.

I assume that a taxi could carry only 4 passengers beside the driver? We're 5...

Also, I'm wary about the language barrier. Sigh :o

Further to what ROCruiser said.

The fishing dock area and local market in Hong Gai was actually very interesting.

Some ships tender to the Hong Gai side. I don't know about Celebrity.

Ours did and there was a shuttle to the Vincom Mall.

There is a nearby dry market, and a VERY local wet market which was great to wander around.

We then went across the road to watch the small fishing boats being unloaded and the catch taken to the market.

There are karsts immediately behind the fishing port so the photos are great.

At the roundabout behind the Vincom mall is an approx 7 story building and taking the lift to the top floor there is a nice bar / cafe with views. We would have stopped for a beer but it was a bit early.

We walked back to the tender along the waterfront (about 2.4k)

On the way there was a lady with a few stools set up and drinks on ice so we had a beer there and watched the junks in the harbour.

I was pleasantly surprised by our wander around Hong Gai.

Further to what ROCruiser said.

The fishing dock area and local market in Hong Gai was actually very interesting.

Some ships tender to the Hong Gai side. I don't know about Celebrity.

Ours did and there was a shuttle to the Vincom Mall.

I was pleasantly surprised by our wander around Hong Gai.

Thank you, TB.

I've copied your post to my notes. Still trying to figure out where we'll be docked...

I greatly appreciate your help, Dani

A couple of threads here might be of interest to you:

Likely others too if you use the SEARCH THIS FORUM to find them.

Thank you, Edinburgher.

It looks like Hon Gai is where the "action" is....

I've posted here and on the X board, didn't think to have a look at other cruise companies boards. Appreciate the suggestion.

We were onboard X Millie and as per the posts on the above links we tendered into Bai Chay.

I don't know if they always do that or if they sometimes tender into Hon Gai.

Maybe you could ask on the X boards?

Believe me, I've tried. Every venue. Even TripAdvisor. The latest [breaking]news are that a new docking facility will be open starting October.... So it can be the "new" one, or Bai Cay or Hon Gai....

I'm following daily, eagerly waiting to know .... "and the winner is...."

Even more confusing if there is a third option! I guess you will have to wait until you actually arrive.

You will have read on the links above that for us there was no shuttle offered and we used taxis to get there and back. If it is the same for you, wherever you tender into, make sure you know exactly where you are for the taxi back as language can be an issue for the driver.

make sure you know exactly where you are for the taxi back as language can be an issue for the driver.

That's the biggest worry. We have a Vietnamese speaking lady in our roll call, I'll ask her to write me down in the local language the 3 options....

Thank you !!