What's new on the Volendam since 2014?

cavecreekguy

I've searched and read reviews, and haven't been able to find the information I'm looking for.

I did a 7 day Alaska RT out of Vancouver on the Volendam in 2014. I enjoyed the ship and crew. Most recently I've cruised on the Oosterdam and Eurodam. I really loved a few things about those ships, and am curious if any of them are available on the Volendam.

For example, I know the Volendam has the Dive-in burgers. But I guess it doesn't have the NY Pizza place. I really liked the pizza there, and that I could get a late night pizza and salad to take back to my cabin. I guess I'm out of luck there. But how's the pizza on the Volendam these days?

I also like the new room service menu where you can order from the Pinnacle Grill during certain hours, and how the Dive-in burgers are available 24 hours. Plus I don't think you could get a chicken quesadilla on the late menu in those days. Are these options available on the Volendam?

Finally, do they still have the piano bar, with one performer and singing along? I loved that so much. Or have they gone to the two piano player format found on the larger ships?

Thanks!

The Volendam (R class) still has the piano bar like it was in 2014. The other news is the that the bathrooms have been updated with new tile and showers in place of tubs in most of the interior/oceanviews. Not sure about the pizza options.

Thank you for replying! Glad to hear about the "old school" piano bar. I will be very happy there.

I'm also happy about the showers. I only ever take showers so I prefer that.

they have a few different pizza choices in the Lido for lunch....not bad if u get it when it's fresh which it seemed to be most of the time...fortunately the library is still there as is the crows nest...also still have lots of deck chairs on walking deck...still a classic HAL ship that so far somebody has decided if it ain't broke don't fix it....

they have a few different pizza choices in the Lido for lunch....not bad if u get it when it's fresh which it seemed to be most of the time...fortunately the library is still there as is the crows nest...also still have lots of deck chairs on walking deck...still a classic HAL ship that so far somebody has decided if it ain't broke don't fix it....

Thanks to you too. I really love the old crows nests. I'm a solo cruiser so I like sitting *at* the bar. I have such fond memories of interactions with the bar men in the Volendam crows nest. They were so kind to me.

I just remember the pizza in the Lido used to look really bad. It looked like the crust was some frozen thing - not even as good as what I can get at the supermarket. I'll have to check it out.

Still hoping to hear from someone about the recent room service menu. Is it still the old menu? Or can you order the Dive In burgers and from the Pinnacle Grill?

Edited by cavecreekguy

Just off Volendam July 11th from the Inside Passage, so to add to this thread;

Pizza - some improvement over the old Lido offerings, but was only available at lunch and late night. If you liked it before, you still will, if not, may not be enough improvement to matter.

Room service - we had the menus for Dive In and Pinnacle in our room, but never ordered from them, so can't say for certain if you could.

Just off Volendam July 11th from the Inside Passage, so to add to this thread;

Pizza - some improvement over the old Lido offerings, but was only available at lunch and late night. If you liked it before, you still will, if not, may not be enough improvement to matter.

Room service - we had the menus for Dive In and Pinnacle in our room, but never ordered from them, so can't say for certain if you could.

Thanks for your reply. I didn't care for their pizza before the NY pizza place, and it doesn't sound like they have that on the Volendam. That's fine.

For the room service - what I've seen from other ships is that the room service menu gives as options Dive-in burgers 24 hours through room service for a $4.95 upcharge. Also, a very limited Pinnacle Grill menu during that restaurant's hours for I think $15. Do you remember if that's what was in your cabin? Or was it just the regular menus from the Dive In and Pinnacle Grill?

Here's the menu I've seen. Obviously the Volendam doesn't have Tamarind, so I wouldn't expect that to be on the room service menu.

Thanks!

Thanks for your reply. I didn't care for their pizza before the NY pizza place, and it doesn't sound like they have that on the Volendam. That's fine.

For the room service - what I've seen from other ships is that the room service menu gives as options Dive-in burgers 24 hours through room service for a $4.95 upcharge. Also, a very limited Pinnacle Grill menu during that restaurant's hours for I think $15. Do you remember if that's what was in your cabin? Or was it just the regular menus from the Dive In and Pinnacle Grill?

Here's the menu I've seen. Obviously the Volendam doesn't have Tamarind, so I wouldn't expect that to be on the room service menu.

Thanks!

Yes, that appears to be the menu we had; however, I only briefly glanced at it and did not actually see the Dine In or Pinnacle menus myself, so cannot say for certain they were there, but my wife did tell me while she was looking at them that we could order Dive In to our rooms for $4.95.

We spent a month on the Volendam and really enjoyed it. The piano bar is located at one end of the Mix bar, the pizza is served in the Lido in one of the buffet lines and room service is as described.

It is a nice-sized ship with a large library, a friendly coffee service, hard-working staff and a good head chef in the MDR. He frequently came out into the dining room to get feedback.

The Pinnacle is located in the interior of the ship and does not have windows.

Enjoy your cruise.

Yes, that appears to be the menu we had; however, I only briefly glanced at it and did not actually see the Dine In or Pinnacle menus myself, so cannot say for certain they were there, but my wife did tell me while she was looking at them that we could order Dive In to our rooms for $4.95.

Oh that's so awesome to hear! Some nights, when all the entertainment shuts down (10-10:30, sigh) I'm not ready for bed. If something at the Late Night Snack doesn't appeal to me, I like to order from room service. The Dive In burgers are better than the old room service burgers were, plus they include fries!

And the Pinnacle Grill room service menu is exactly what I'd want to order, and half the cost to order it as room service.

Makes me :)!

The Pinnacle is located in the interior of the ship and does not have windows.

Thank you for mentioning that. We were going to book Pinnacle for our first night leaving Vancouver. But I believe I’ll change our strategy because I don’t want to be in an interior space while sailing through the British Columbia inside passage. Would Canaletto be the best place to dine the first night in order to take in the views?

Thank you for mentioning that. We were going to book Pinnacle for our first night leaving Vancouver. But I believe I’ll change our strategy because I don’t want to be in an interior space while sailing through the British Columbia inside passage. Would Canaletto be the best place to dine the first night in order to take in the views?

Excellent place for sightseeing! Much better than most tables in the MDR, too.

You are welcome! I think you will be ok for the views in the Canaletto.

Just one minor note: Several times while eating in the Volendam's MDR, the staff closed the curtains. The sun, as it was setting, was beating into the room. This made the dining room too hot and this was an attempt to allow the A/C to catch up.

The sail out will be beautiful. Have a good cruise.

Thanks to you too. I really love the old crows nests. I'm a solo cruiser so I like sitting *at* the bar. I have such fond memories of interactions with the bar men in the Volendam crows nest. They were so kind to me.

I just remember the pizza in the Lido used to look really bad. It looked like the crust was some frozen thing - not even as good as what I can get at the supermarket. I'll have to check it out.

Still hoping to hear from someone about the recent room service menu. Is it still the old menu? Or can you order the Dive In burgers and from the Pinnacle Grill?

Hi there going on my first solo cruise in February. Any advice or tips? Do you eat at a large table or by yourself or lido?

Hi there going on my first solo cruise in February. Any advice or tips? Do you eat at a large table or by yourself or lido?
Personally, I usually go to the Lido, because I find I can no longer sit in a chair for 1.5-2 hrs during dinner service, and it's considered rude to leave until everyone at the table is finished. Or, if I go to the MDR, I get a two top by myself.

I find it's very easy to strike up conversations with people at the bar.

Not sure if you know, but there's a Solo Cruisers section on the boards which will probably have a lot of useful info.

I love cruising solo as I have the total freedom to do whatever I want, when I want.