Holland-America transfer from Anchorage to Seward to board Westerdam

MSBerliner

Soon we'll fly to Anchorage, Alaska to visit for a few days, then use HAL's bus transfer to Seward to board the Westerdam. Has anyone recently traveled from their hotel in Anchorage to a HAL ship in Seward? Does the bus pick one up from the hotel, must we assemble in the Eagan Center, or must we take a cab to the airport to meet the bus?

Your recent experience will be much appreciated. Many thanks. :)

We took the HAL train from Anchorage to Seward in June. We had booked independently and were not staying at the HAL hotel. The meeting place was Egan Center. (When I called HAL, I was told that we could either meet at the Egan Center or the Airport. When we went to the airport, we were told that HAL had given us old information. The meeting place had been Egan Center for several years!! So we left for the Egan center.)

When we arrived at the Egan Center, there were two groups there. The people who had booked the HAL train and the people who had booked the HAL bus. We checked our luggage at the Egan Center and got our tickets for the train. The first group departure was the people who had booked the bus. A short while later, they called the people with train tickets, and we boarded a bus to go to the downtown train station.

• 3 weeks later...
We took the HAL train from Anchorage to Seward in June. We had booked independently and were not staying at the HAL hotel. The meeting place was Egan Center. (When I called HAL, I was told that we could either meet at the Egan Center or the Airport. When we went to the airport, we were told that HAL had given us old information. The meeting place had been Egan Center for several years!! So we left for the Egan center.)

When we arrived at the Egan Center, there were two groups there. The people who had booked the HAL train and the people who had booked the HAL bus. We checked our luggage at the Egan Center and got our tickets for the train. The first group departure was the people who had booked the bus. A short while later, they called the people with train tickets, and we boarded a bus to go to the downtown train station.

Hi, I have 2 questions about the train arrival in Seward. When you arrived in Seward, was your luggage taken directly to the ship or did you have to collect it and take it yourself? How far was the train station in Seward from the ship? I’m thinking that it can’t be far given how small Seward is!

Hi, I have 2 questions about the train arrival in Seward. When you arrived in Seward, was your luggage taken directly to the ship or did you have to collect it and take it yourself? How far was the train station in Seward from the ship? I’m thinking that it can’t be far given how small Seward is!

Seward is a beautiful little town. If you have the option, spend a little time there. There are boat tours, a beautiful harbor, great seafood, and a glacier nearby. You can actually book the train on your own online.

• Like 1

We checked our luggage at Egan center. It was delivered to our cabin.

The train station in Seward was at the dock.

There were very long lines to board our ship, since so many people were arriving at once.

There were very long lines to board our ship, since so many people were arriving at once.[/quote

Thanks for the info. About what time did the train leave Anchorage? We are currently booked on the bus transfer, but I may try to change to the train.

The train from Anchorage to Seward is called the Coastal Classic train. We took it back in 2007 to get from Anchorage to Seward to board Radiance of the Seas. It's a great train trip, it had it's own restaurant carriage for breakfast or there was a small café to purchase coffee etc. Well worth looking at.

There were very long lines to board our ship, since so many people were arriving at once.[/quote

Thanks for the info. About what time did the train leave Anchorage? We are currently booked on the bus transfer, but I may try to change to the train.

On a prior cruise, we just took a private transfer bus. I actually liked the bus transfer better than the train, since there were long delays to get on the train, and then again to get off of the train. The times of the bus and train transfer by Holland America are virtually the same. I think that we left Egan Center at around noon – to take a bus to the train station.

• 9 months later...
21 hours ago, Sandflea00 said:

What level of train car service was offered?  Was it the Gold Dome car or just a standard train car?

Sandflea00, this thread is about a year old now.  Hopefully you get a answer from someone who's done this in 2019.