Where to buy trip insurance from?

kren250

Do you guys buy it through the cruise line (seems easiest?), or get is somewhere else? Is it quite a bit cheaper buying it somewhere else? I'm booking just for myself, and I believe the cruise line is charging me around $100 for trip insurance for a 7 day cruise.

Cruise line insurance has it's advantages and disadvantages.

Usually includes Cancel For Any Reason

May include cancel for job reasons

Usually a fixed price whether your 9 or 90

Usually lower max limits on medical claims and evacuation

3rd party insurance

Usually have to pay for additional coverages like Cancel for any Reason and cancel for Job reasons

Pay a higher premium based on age

Has higher limits for medical and evac.

Having said that, I usually go thru 3rd party broker at www.tripinsurancestore.com

http://www.tripinsurancestore.com

http://www.insuremytrip.com

Also, check with the company that insures your house and cars. My insurance company has an agreement with a trip insurer that provides more coverage at a lower cost.

Always shop around. Normally, 3rd party insurance is cheaper, but if you are older, the cruise line insurance may be cheaper, maybe by a LOT.

The policies you buy from insuremytrip (etc) include the travelers' ages in determining the premium. I think the cruise lines charge a flat fee regardless of your age.

This might affect which source gets you a lower price.

There will still be some differences, for example the line's insurance may not cover financial default of the cruise line, while that's a standard component of comprehensive trip insurance.

The policies you buy from insuremytrip (etc) include the travelers' ages in determining the premium. I think the cruise lines charge a flat fee regardless of your age.

This might affect which source gets you a lower price.

There will still be some differences, for example the line's insurance may not cover financial default of the cruise line, while that's a standard component of comprehensive trip insurance.

This is why you have to shop around.

And when someone says that 3rd party is ALWAYS cheaper, they are incorrect. It depends.

For 2019 we're relying on cancellation/interruption insurance from a couple of credit cards (both Citibank, different coverage limits on the two cards) plus an evacuation policy from MedJet. The MedJet policies have some exclusions to be aware of. Our medical policies cover emergency care overseas on a reimbursement basis which is what travel insurance does anyway.

Well DUH.

The travel provider that sells a 3rd party policy in conjunction with travel makes MONEY on doing so?

REALLY?

The only amazing thing is, that people thought they were doing so for FREE. :D

The only people who make money on class action suits are the attorneys.

Another vote for squaremouth. I like their comparison feature, it helps me get to the details of the policy with mostly a glance. I can usually find good coverage for $60-80 for the 2 of us. One thing to note with cruise ship line providing coverage, they sometimes don’t cover any other parts of your trip.

I never purchase cruise line insurance because it's usually secondary coverage. My travel agent uses Allianz. Main reason I get it is for the emergency medical evacuation.

If all you want is med evac, look into MedJet Assist. It is only medical evacuation.

My experience with Allianz is that it is also secondary.

Do you guys buy it through the cruise line (seems easiest?), or get is somewhere else? Is it quite a bit cheaper buying it somewhere else? I'm booking just for myself, and I believe the cruise line is charging me around $100 for trip insurance for a 7 day cruise.

Our TA offers basic insurance for free .

When do you all purchase your policy?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

When < $2,500 pp we use the credit card coverage, but for most cruises we purchase trip cancellation/interuption insurance to cover the deposit at time of confirming a booking. At final payment we increase the value of the policy.

Where we have to use the cruise line we purchase at time of booking.

• 3 weeks later...

Not everyone needs to cover the cost of the trip itself.

If I miss the ship, I will be unhappy, but I will survive.

If I have a medical emergency and need significant treatment and/or medical evacuation, I could be facing 10s of thousands or even 100s of thousands of dollars of unexpected costs.

That is what I cover.  And it really cuts down the cost of the insurance.