Advice please re taxis in St. John's (Newfoundland) & visiting Cape Spear/Signal Hill

Turtles06

We have a port call in September in St. John's, Newfoundland. It's going to be a DIY day for us, and I would very much appreciate some advice on the following. I assume we would not have any problem getting a cab from the pier to take us to Cape Spear for a quick visit and then have the driver drop us back at Signal Hill. If so, any sense of what that might cost? Are the cabs metered, or can we negotiate a price for something like this? (If so, what would be reasonable?)

And if we do that, and want to get a cab back from Signal Hill into downtown, would it be a problem to get one up there? When ships are in port, do cabs come up to Signal Hill looking for riders, or would we have to call one?

Thanks for any information and advice!

There are not often questions about St. John's here so local people may not see this. Try posting on the Trip Advisor forum for Newfoundland. https://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowForum-g154962-i754-Newfoundland_and_Labrador.html

You could also use the search feature there.

Thank you, that was very helpful!

Reading up there made me realize that it would be easier (and more interesting) to just book a tour with McCarthy's.

Thanks again.