Moving around in Venice

propwash

Need some guidance.

I'm confused about some of the transportation options in Venice. In searching, I find there are tickets for the people mover from the cruise terminal to by the train terminal. Can fares be purchased for the Vaporetto boats be used for the people mover? On the ACTV site for the mover, it shows tickets, single, and 10 tickets. It has 75 minutes by the single and 100 minutes by the option for 10 tickets. Are those time limits for use or what? It also talks about an app AVM VENEZIA you can use, is this for fares?

Thanks for the help and guidance

Danny

That's a decent web site. But we will add a detailed explanation of the People Mover...since its often mentioned here without much detail. It is a very modern automated overhead rail system (kind of like a monorail but with regular tracks) that connects the Piazale Roma to the main cruise port (Marittima) and to another island (past the cruise port) which is primarily a large parking lot. The automated trains run every few minutes and one can take luggage on the People Mover (there are elevators and escalators at the stations). Tickets are purchased from vending machines which accept Euros and some credit cards. The People Mover system is totally separate from the other forms of transportation so you need to buy People Mover tickets to use this convenient train.

Now the bad news. The People Mover Station at the port is located some distance from the ships. Folks that like long walks can walk to that station and there is sometimes (we emphasize "sometimes") an internal port shuttle bus that also will get you close to the station (but there is still a walk). At the Piazale Roma the station is located at the southwest corner which is on the other side of the large square from where you can catch the vaporettos (marked with an "ACTV" sign which is the real name of the real name of the transportation company that operates the vaporetto system.

Hank

That's a decent web site. But we will add a detailed explanation of the People Mover...since its often mentioned here without much detail. It is a very modern automated overhead rail system (kind of like a monorail but with regular tracks) that connects the Piazale Roma to the main cruise port (Marittima) and to another island (past the cruise port) which is primarily a large parking lot. The automated trains run every few minutes and one can take luggage on the People Mover (there are elevators and escalators at the stations). Tickets are purchased from vending machines which accept Euros and some credit cards. The People Mover system is totally separate from the other forms of transportation so you need to buy People Mover tickets to use this convenient train.

Now the bad news. The People Mover Station at the port is located some distance from the ships. Folks that like long walks can walk to that station and there is sometimes (we emphasize "sometimes") an internal port shuttle bus that also will get you close to the station (but there is still a walk). At the Piazale Roma the station is located at the southwest corner which is on the other side of the large square from where you can catch the vaporettos (marked with an "ACTV" sign which is the real name of the real name of the transportation company that operates the vaporetto system.

Hank

Hank.... THANKS for the help. Do you know what is meant by the time for a ticket? At this website, http://actv.avmspa.it/en/content/people-mover-0 it shows 1-way tickets, single tickets 75 min, 10 ticket booklet I get multiple tickets, but understand the 75 minutes meaning.

Thanks for the help

Danny

The rete unica rates are discounted rates for travel throughout the system but only for card holders which I believe costs an extra 50€. i.e. you need to stay a few weeks.

The ordinary 75 minute ticket appears to allow travel in Mestre up to but not beyond P. Roma and not to the airport.

Best bet is a 1,2 or 3 day vaporetto pass. Available at most major Vaporetto stops. This pass does not cover the private Alilagunna system.

You probably won’t use the people mover more than once or twice.

For example say you wanted to get from San Marco back to the port as expeditiously as possibe. You would buy a single ticket on the private Alilaguna blue line directly to the port or take the no 1 vaporetto to. P.Roma and the people mover.

It can be intimidating. However most signs are also in English and do not be afraid to ask. If all else fails you can walk or take an (expensive) water taxi.

Hank.... THANKS for the help. Do you know what is meant by the time for a ticket? At this website, http://actv.avmspa.it/en/content/people-mover-0 it shows 1-way tickets, single tickets 75 min, 10 ticket booklet I get multiple tickets, but understand the 75 minutes meaning.

Thanks for the help

Danny

You have to love that ACTV web site. I wonder if even Italians can figure out all the options :). Most of the tickets are not for the People Mover. If you look under the People Mover tab it does show the ordinary 1.5-€ People Mover ticket which we mentioned you simply get out of the vending machines. There are also some combination tickets that include certain land bus lines (such as on Lido and appear to also cover the People Mover) but these would normally be of no interest to cruisers or most tourists. Some of the other tickets appear to be intended for local residents as an add-on to other transportation cards (used by residents).

That ACTV site also does talk about the "Time Limited" tickets used for the vaporettos (these are a good deal for most tourists staying 1 or more days). But I see nothing that says you can use a Vaporetto timed pass for the People Mover. For some reason (probably greed) they have never included the People Mover as part of the timed vaporetto tickets.

But since you brought up the ACTV website lets talk about the vaporettos (which you can catch at the Piazale Roma) which will take you anywhere around Venice and/or to the other islands in the Lagoon (Murano, Burano, Lido, Torcello, etc). A single vaporetto ticket costs 7.5€ and is only valid for 75 minutes from when you validate it. But you can also buy the longer timed tickets which are a great value if you are planning on staying in Venice more then a few hours and using the vaporettos. A 24 Hour ticket is 20€ and a 48 hour ticket is 30€ etc etc. Those tickets give you unlimited use of all the vaporettos.....but unfortunately do not include the People Mover for which you still need to buy the separate 1.50€ ticket for every journey.

For those going off on their own, we really like the Rick Steve's Venice book (we recommend lots of the Rick Steves series which we think is perfect for most of DIY. DW and I are big fans of Venice and think it is such a fun place. When we are in the area we always try to spend 2 or 3 nights since we can spend days just walking around and riding vaporettos. In fact, for us, getting lost walking around Venice is totally wonderful :).

Hank

Great info here already, especially from Hank. It did take me a long time to figure out the ACTV website, but once I did, it was very helpful. We went to Venice 2 days early and so I got a 2 day (48 hours from first use if I remember correctly - but confirm that!) ACTV pass. Keep your receipt, not just the pass, in case a vaporetto police person questions how long you've been riding. I was about a half hour late getting back to the port with mine, and didn't have the receipt, just the pass, but she let me ride for a couple more stops (all I needed) without being given a ticket or being kicked off. However, you CAN be kicked off or fined if you have an expired ticket or no ticket. Also, I think it's clear from above that each transportation system (ACTV and Alilaguna and People Mover monorail thing) requires a separate ticket or pass. For example, If you take an Alilaguna water bus (yellow) from the port to St. Mark's, you can't take the ACTV water bus (white) back. (And it doesn't really go right to the port anyway!!) ACTV will get you most places. We were able to use it for most or possibly all of our trips, although maybe we used Alilaguna to go to Burano; can't remember. We did, however, see two people get tickets from the water bus police for traveling with a ticket for the wrong vendor. One person argued and argued about it, and while I can understand why she was confused, in the end she was politely given a ticket!

If you're in Venice on a Sunday and want to take the People Mover, check how late it runs. I think it closes early, even if a cruise ship is in port.

Transportation is Venice is certainly confusing, but it's fun to ride those water buses. I rode them everywhere, just looking at things from the water - beautiful! Passing the port and seeing our cruise ship was fun, too! Going under the famous bridge was fun, but it was covered with junk, so a bit disappointing. I did load a Steves' vaporetto guide on my phone but then never used it. I was getting into the scenery....

Keep in mind that there are vaporettos that are crowded, and some that aren't. I'd avoid the 2 or whichever one it is that all us tourists take! There's another that goes about the same route but without the crowds. Also, if you have luggage, you'll want to take the less crowded vaporettos.

Enjoy. I loved Venice.

Great info here already, especially from Hank. It did take me a long time to figure out the ACTV website, but once I did, it was very helpful. We went to Venice 2 days early and so I got a 2 day (48 hours from first use if I remember correctly - but confirm that!) ACTV pass. Keep your receipt, not just the pass, in case a vaporetto police person questions how long you've been riding. I was about a half hour late getting back to the port with mine, and didn't have the receipt, just the pass, but she let me ride for a couple more stops (all I needed) without being given a ticket or being kicked off. However, you CAN be kicked off or fined if you have an expired ticket or no ticket. Also, I think it's clear from above that each transportation system (ACTV and Alilaguna and People Mover monorail thing) requires a separate ticket or pass. For example, If you take an Alilaguna water bus (yellow) from the port to St. Mark's, you can't take the ACTV water bus (white) back. (And it doesn't really go right to the port anyway!!) ACTV will get you most places. We were able to use it for most or possibly all of our trips, although maybe we used Alilaguna to go to Burano; can't remember. We did, however, see two people get tickets from the water bus police for traveling with a ticket for the wrong vendor. One person argued and argued about it, and while I can understand why she was confused, in the end she was politely given a ticket!

If you're in Venice on a Sunday and want to take the People Mover, check how late it runs. I think it closes early, even if a cruise ship is in port.

Transportation is Venice is certainly confusing, but it's fun to ride those water buses. I rode them everywhere, just looking at things from the water - beautiful! Passing the port and seeing our cruise ship was fun, too! Going under the famous bridge was fun, but it was covered with junk, so a bit disappointing. I did load a Steves' vaporetto guide on my phone but then never used it. I was getting into the scenery....

Keep in mind that there are vaporettos that are crowded, and some that aren't. I'd avoid the 2 or whichever one it is that all us tourists take! There's another that goes about the same route but without the crowds. Also, if you have luggage, you'll want to take the less crowded vaporettos.

Enjoy. I loved Venice.

Sometimes good things happen to those who wait :). The last time we were in Venice, DW and I hopped on a #2 Vaporetto at Piazale Roma intending to get off at Rialto. We had one of those Vaporettos that has a few seats at the bow that are outside the cabin and we noticed that there were two empty seats. It was a gorgeous day and we quickly moved outside and grabbed those seats....realizing that we had lucked into something special (we have been to Venice many times). We did not get off at Rialto nor at St Marks Sq nor anywhere else and simply rode around on that boat for over an hour. We finally alighted the 2nd time we got to Rialto :). For those that do not understand, you could board a vaporetto 100 times and never get those seats. No matter how many times we come to this city, the views and architecture just take my breath away (guess I am getting old). Perhaps the city has become a huge tourist trap...but its still one of the most unique places in the world.

Hank

Sometimes good things happen to those who wait :). The last time we were in Venice, DW and I hopped on a #2 Vaporetto at Piazale Roma intending to get off at Rialto. We had one of those Vaporettos that has a few seats at the bow that are outside the cabin and we noticed that there were two empty seats. It was a gorgeous day and we quickly moved outside and grabbed those seats....realizing that we had lucked into something special (we have been to Venice many times). We did not get off at Rialto nor at St Marks Sq nor anywhere else and simply rode around on that boat for over an hour. We finally alighted the 2nd time we got to Rialto :). For those that do not understand, you could board a vaporetto 100 times and never get those seats. No matter how many times we come to this city, the views and architecture just take my breath away (guess I am getting old). Perhaps the city has become a huge tourist trap...but its still one of the most unique places in the world.

Hank

Yes, it's funny, a friend told me he didn't like Venice because it smelled, and it was too crowded. I did find it very crowded, and probably there are more tourists there than actual dwellers, but it is quite unique, the architecture is charming, and vaporetto riding provided lots of low cost entertainment! I never smelled anything, although I suppose some of the canals can get smelly at times. I would love to go back..

Thanks for the great information! Looking at all these options for our Nov 3 cruise from Venice. We'll be spending 5 nights in Venice before and sounds like we should definately get a multi day pass for the vaporettos.

You have to love that ACTV web site. I wonder if even Italians can figure out all the options :). Most of the tickets are not for the People Mover. If you look under the People Mover tab it does show the ordinary 1.5-€ People Mover ticket which we mentioned you simply get out of the vending machines. There are also some combination tickets that include certain land bus lines (such as on Lido and appear to also cover the People Mover) but these would normally be of no interest to cruisers or most tourists. Some of the other tickets appear to be intended for local residents as an add-on to other transportation cards (used by residents).

That ACTV site also does talk about the "Time Limited" tickets used for the vaporettos (these are a good deal for most tourists staying 1 or more days). But I see nothing that says you can use a Vaporetto timed pass for the People Mover. For some reason (probably greed) they have never included the People Mover as part of the timed vaporetto tickets.

But since you brought up the ACTV website lets talk about the vaporettos (which you can catch at the Piazale Roma) which will take you anywhere around Venice and/or to the other islands in the Lagoon (Murano, Burano, Lido, Torcello, etc). A single vaporetto ticket costs 7.5€ and is only valid for 75 minutes from when you validate it. But you can also buy the longer timed tickets which are a great value if you are planning on staying in Venice more then a few hours and using the vaporettos. A 24 Hour ticket is 20€ and a 48 hour ticket is 30€ etc etc. Those tickets give you unlimited use of all the vaporettos.....but unfortunately do not include the People Mover for which you still need to buy the separate 1.50€ ticket for every journey.

For those going off on their own, we really like the Rick Steve's Venice book (we recommend lots of the Rick Steves series which we think is perfect for most of DIY. DW and I are big fans of Venice and think it is such a fun place. When we are in the area we always try to spend 2 or 3 nights since we can spend days just walking around and riding vaporettos. In fact, for us, getting lost walking around Venice is totally wonderful :).

Hank

Hank.... Many THANKS for the help. I now have a better understanding. We are planning a couple of extra days, so I think we will get the 48hr tickets for ease of travel.

Danny

https://www.skylinewebcams.com/en/webcam/italia/veneto/venezia/riva-schiavoni.html

This link is to a live webcam showing the waterfront near St,. Mark's Square. I thought it might be useful in seeing the water bus stops in that area (more than one - but many places have only one), plus perhaps you'll see an Alilaguna yellow boat go by. The white boats are ACTV, The covered huts have waiting areas and ticket machines. (By the way, you can use a machine there to check how much time you have on a timed pass.) There will likely be gondolas sitting in the water waiting for passengers, although I'd NOT recommend taking a ride there, but instead look for a ride in a more sheltered, intimate spot!

I believe the bridge you see is the one where you can stand and look at the Bridge of Sighs. As you can see, if you have a lot of luggage, you're going to want to avoid a hotel that requires going over such a bridge! Also, on that particular bridge, beware of projecting selfie sticks, as well as an occasional pickpocket.

Obviously, it's best for North American viewers to view this webcam in the morning, due to time differences.