Help[ with some ports of call

Giantfan13

We are doing a Med cruise on MSC with ports of call in Italy of

Messina

Genoa

Livorno

Civi (Rome)

We are looking for some advice as to what cruisers feel are the must see things.

We were in Rome last year, so we were looking for MAYBE another place we might visit if it isn't too far off, or is there enough to do in Civi to spend a day?

We also spent a day in Florence last year on a day trip from Rome. So what other options do we have instead of Florence. We don't mind traveling on the train, as long as we won't be cutting things too close .

I have looked on Trip Advisor for some things to do in Genoa and Messina, but, as I said, I would love to hear from fellow cruisers as to what might be best.

Ourselves, we really aren't big on many museums and some 'art' is OK but I am more an avid photographer and love to see new things and snap some pix. We are seniors but pretty mobile and never do any ship's tours. Just another question if anyone might know, do ships usually dock in these ports and do we have easy access to them or do we need transportation to get to what we might want to see.

When we did our Baltic cruise, fellow posters were so helpful and I was full of questions. Now I have become a regular on that port of call board to try and give back and help others who feel so perplexed before going.

Cheers

Len

We had two days in Civitavecchia in July. Like you we have been to Rome and didn’t want to go there. The first day we had a walk around the town. There’s a really great market there in the mornings, there’s some nice shops and there’s a promenade to walk along.

On the second day we got the public bus to Tarquinia. We got the bus from opposite the cathedral. Tarquinia is a beautiful walled city. It has a necropolis of Etruscan tombs, but this is quite a walk from the town, so we didn’t go to see them as it was very hot. However there is a very good museum all about the tombs, so you can get a good feel for them. You get off the bus at the lowest part of the town. If you walk uphill to the top of the Main Street you get a wonderful view over the surrounding countryside. A warning, though - you need to buy your bus ticket before you get on the bus. The supermarket next to the bus stop sells them but had run out when we went there. We ended up buying our tickets at the station - they were train tickets, but could be used on the bus and were accepted by the bus drivera003ca0f3e7f53229e0392d0ce8235c7.jpg5427fb2f1622706f008d5565ab6ef11f.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi Len,

I can't help with Genoa.

For Messina, I suggest getting yourself to Taormina, a lovely scenic town at the top of a cliff with pleasant streets to stroll, a Greek-Roman theater, and lovely views. Not to mention delicious food.

If you search online (including these forums) there are a number of ways to get from Messina to Taormina -- bus, train, taxi (although that's more expensive), or most ships offer a "Taormina on your own" transfer, which is possibly easiest given the train timings.

Using the train from Livorno you could visit Pisa easily, if you want to see the leaning tower and the Field of Miracles. Or you could consider Lucca, a lovely walled city.

For Civitavecchia, I don't find the town there charming at all. Grandma Cruising's idea of a visit to Tarquinia is good but I would stress that you should DEFINITELY try to visit both the museum and the necropolis where the painted tombs are located. There is a city bus that can take you from Civi to Tarquinia and another bus that will take you the short distance to the necropolis (or take a taxi -- it's not very far so not very expensive). Here's a website with info on both the Etruscan Museum in Tarquinia and the Etruscan Necropolis just outside the city: http://www.tarquinia-cerveteri.it/en/museum-and-necropolis-of-tarquinia/necropolis

We really enjoyed Tarquinia by public bus, the museum is excellent and the tombs fascinating. We have rented a car and explored a little further afield as well: Tuscania, driving along the coast north to Orbetella, and nearby there is a large lake as well Lago di Bolsena. We also enjoyed Viterbo and nearby Villa Lante or the outstanding Villa Farnese. But you have to be comfortable driving.

For Genoa, near the port walk to the subway and go into the centre. Make sure to see the churches and perhaps some of the beautiful palaces. Wander the little alleyways and have the incredible Focaccia.

For Livorno I would highly recommend Lucia. It is a wonderful walled city. You can walk or bike the walls, visit the towers and just stroll around town. It is an easy train ride with a change in Pisa. If you want to see the tower you can do both in a day. Biggest challenge is port to train station in Livorno. We took ships shuttle into town and then local bus. It worked fine .

In Genoa you can consider a train to Santa Margharita and then go onward to Portofino. The train station is a short walk from the port. There are a number of ways from SM to Portofino. We walked the lovely beachside trail and then took a ferry boat back. You have options of walking, boat, cabs or local buses. Again a pleasant and easy DIY day.

Thank you all so much for all your helpful ideas. We will definitely make use of some of them. You people are the best. And just a shout out to CruiseMom who helped us so much when we went to Rome last year. :*:*:*

You know, when we were a bit younger we used to love to rent cars in many of the ports we visited. Maybe it is ,we never drove in Europe or just we are getting a bit older, but sometimes we feel it just isn't for us these days. We have driven the Road to Hana, driven all over Hawaii and Alaska, all over the US, but, why Europe sort of scares us a bit, I don't know. I guess we will stick to public transportation or taxis.

BTW will that bridge that collapsed today, in Genoa, affect any sort of travel to see sites there? And how far is Milan from there?

Cheers

Len

Just my two cents but we really enjoyed Genoa itself, we think it is underrated. Sometimes it is worth exploring what is right in front of you. We have been to Milano and the Cinque Terre. Probably enjoyed Genoa as much as Milano. And the Cinque Terre is badly overrun with tourists and still suffering from the effects of the landslide with many pathways closed. So something to consider.

I am not sure what effect the terrible bridge collapse will have on your plans from Genoa. I have never been to Genoa, I would love to, but my heart goes out to all of the people affected.

What I can say is that we visited Tarquinia in November and loved it. It is a great alternative to going in to Rome.

We have also visited Lucca and loved it too. If you feel that Florence is not calling you, Lucca is certainly an option from Livorno.

The Genoa bridge collapse may affect things, as from what I’ve seen it is part of a major transport link.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The bridge collapse was on the west side of the town and most of the sites mentioned above are east/southeast, so the bridge collapse would not affect going to them. We stopped in Genoa once and I enjoyed their hop-on/hop-off bus to get around the city. There are lovely baroque buildings there. I got off several times and wandered around. Christopher Columbus was born in Genoa and I believe his home is on/near the HOHO route. The HOHO stops right outside the cruise terminal so it's quite handy.

We will be in Livorno in October and are taking a bus from the port to Lucca. We will have 3 1/2 hours free time in Lucca and then back to Pisa for 1 1/2 hours and then back to the ship. Since there are driving restrictions when you get to Lucca, we decided that having the bus drop us off right there would be good. It is about 30 Euros/pp.

In Civi we are renting a car and meandering out to Orvieto. I don't know if there is public transportation available to get there or not.

• Like 1