RC Excursion Capri, Sorrento Pompeii

scottygirl

I am trying to convince the people I am cruising with that this excursion is a bad idea. How much time will actually be spent on Capri.

Enjoy breathtaking seaside scenery as you visit two gems, Sorrento and the idyllic isle of Capri, before scouring the archaeological ruins of Pompeii. Enjoy a scenic 50-minute jetfoil ride across turquoise waters to Capri, then stroll La Piazzetta square. Savor a tasty lunch in Sorrento, complete with champagne and tales of local sirens. View recovered artifacts once buried in Pompeii, an ancient Roman city destroyed in 79 AD by a Mount Vesuvius eruption. NP02

HIGHLIGHTS

• Capri: Relish ocean breezes on a jetfoil ride to the picturesque island, before roaming villa-lined streets and La Piazzetta square.
  • Sorrento: Enjoy lunch and champagne in the seaside village, hearing legends of the Sirens of Sorrento who lured Ulysses.
  • Pompeii: See mansions, baths, and artifacts recovered from the ancient town destroyed by eruption of Mount Vesuvius in 79 AD.

It's hard to say from the info you've given, but it sounds like you dock in Naples, go to Capri on the hydrofoil, and then take another hydrofoil to Sorrento in time for lunch there.

So the answer would be: not very much!

There are ferries to Capri from Naples at 8:05, 8:35, 9:10 and 9:30. Each of these take about an hour. The 8:05 seems a bit early to get a tour organized, off the ship and over to the ferry dock, boarded, and ready to go.

The ferries from Capri to Sorrento take less time -- about 20 minutes. I'm guessing the 1:00 pm ferry might be the one, as the one prior to that is not a fast ferry and anything earlier seems too soon....

It seems likely that you'll have, at most 3.5 hours in Capri....and of course, that time includes getting off the ferry, getting up to the piazetta, and allowing enough time to return and board the ferry to Sorrento.

I see a lot of red flags with this tour -- it covers too much ground and seems to include quite a lengthy lunch in Sorrento which -- if I'm going to spend time on a fancy lunch, I'd want to pick my own spot, not go somewhere that's likely to have a large room full of other cruise passengers.

Capri is very, very easy to do on your own, if that's your primary objective. There's a lengthy thread on this not very far down the page (or do a search) with lots of info.

It's hard to say from the info you've given, but it sounds like you dock in Naples, go to Capri on the hydrofoil, and then take another hydrofoil to Sorrento in time for lunch there.

So the answer would be: not very much!

There are ferries to Capri from Naples at 8:05, 8:35, 9:10 and 9:30. Each of these take about an hour. The 8:05 seems a bit early to get a tour organized, off the ship and over to the ferry dock, boarded, and ready to go.

The ferries from Capri to Sorrento take less time -- about 20 minutes. I'm guessing the 1:00 pm ferry might be the one, as the one prior to that is not a fast ferry and anything earlier seems too soon....

It seems likely that you'll have, at most 3.5 hours in Capri....and of course, that time includes getting off the ferry, getting up to the piazetta, and allowing enough time to return and board the ferry to Sorrento.

I see a lot of red flags with this tour -- it covers too much ground and seems to include quite a lengthy lunch in Sorrento which -- if I'm going to spend time on a fancy lunch, I'd want to pick my own spot, not go somewhere that's likely to have a large room full of other cruise passengers.

Capri is very, very easy to do on your own, if that's your primary objective. There's a lengthy thread on this not very far down the page (or do a search) with lots of info.

Thank you for your quick reply. My husband and I and another couple are taking a private tour through Joe Bananas to Pompeii, Positano and Sorrento. I am just trying to convince the others that this is probably not the best idea but alas they are not heeding my advice! I believe I saw on another post that you said "you can't do everything!". I would love to see Capri but realize I need to come back another time for that!

Agree with everything you said. We did a Pompeii, Positano, Sorrento tour privately in 2015 and arranged to take the ferry back to the ship from Sorrento to give us a little more time. The drive back from Sorrento can be slow going We did Pompeii early and had a guide waiting there for us before it opened so we beat the crowds from the ship that were just arriving as we were leaving.

We wanted to do Capri too but put it off for the future. The future is soon, we're doing it in April 2019.

Our ferry was 90 mins from Salerno that’s where our rccl docked , we try to avoid ships tours but liked this one, great view of Almafi coast on ferry . Most people did Pompeii but we had done that on a previous cruise.

I am trying to convince the people I am cruising with that this excursion is a bad idea. How much time will actually be spent on Capri.

Enjoy breathtaking seaside scenery as you visit two gems, Sorrento and the idyllic isle of Capri, before scouring the archaeological ruins of Pompeii. Enjoy a scenic 50-minute jetfoil ride across turquoise waters to Capri, then stroll La Piazzetta square. Savor a tasty lunch in Sorrento, complete with champagne and tales of local sirens. View recovered artifacts once buried in Pompeii, an ancient Roman city destroyed in 79 AD by a Mount Vesuvius eruption. NP02

HIGHLIGHTS

• Capri: Relish ocean breezes on a jetfoil ride to the picturesque island, before roaming villa-lined streets and La Piazzetta square.
  • Sorrento: Enjoy lunch and champagne in the seaside village, hearing legends of the Sirens of Sorrento who lured Ulysses.
  • Pompeii: See mansions, baths, and artifacts recovered from the ancient town destroyed by eruption of Mount Vesuvius in 79 AD.

Hi, you can e-mail shorex@rccl.com and give them the tour name and # and they will send you back an outline of the times (how long you are spending in transportation and how much time at each stop). I have found this to be invaluable when trying to plan and decide.

HIGHLIGHTS

I did the excursion on my very first cruise (back in 2004) although, I think we did it in the reverse order. I suspect they still may do both directions and split up the tours so that some go in one order and some go in the opposite. This helps spread out the passenger loads on the various transport option.

While I thoroughly enjoyed my day, it is an excursion I would not do again or recommend. It was my very first cruise, and I was pretty new to traveling in Europe. I opted for the ship excursion due to its convenience and ease of pulling my vacation experience together.

If I recall, we only spent about 2 hours in Capri. We all got off the high speed shuttle boat and rode the funicular to the top. I think that took a couple of cars. We waited with the guide until all of the tour guests were at the top. Then the guide took us, as a group, into the nice park with some great views looking over the water. After about 30 minutes with the guide, he let us go "on our own" for maybe an hour. We then had to meet back down at water level (I think) to get on another shuttle to go back to the mainland. All I really had time to do was walk around the little town some and look at the shops.

Also, the tour in Pompeii was much shorter in duration than I, personally wanted. I have since been back to Pompeii 2 more times and have spent many hours exploring it. Sorrento was really nothing more than a lunch stop. We ate lunch and then had maybe 30 minutes to walk around and shop if we wanted. We weren't in a particularly scenic area and I don't shop, so I viewed it mostly as wasted time. Lunch was decent, if I recall.

I would not try to do all 3 in one day. Spend the day in Capri and maybe explore Naples some upon return to the mainland. Or go to Pompeii and then return to Naples. Or venture to Amalfi (with proper transportation). I haven't done Amalfi (yet). But will do it some time, I hope.

YOu must stop at least 2-3 times in Naples to see everything which is nice and important in that area.YOu can`t do that with only one stop.

I did Pompei,Sorrento and a glimpse of the Amalfi coast and that was a full day tour and we even did only see a small part of pompei.

So i haven`t visited capri yet and also not the villages of Positano or Amalfi(or others along the coast).

I can really only clearly suggest not to try to make all of it in one tour.It is only stressful running and you can`t enjoy it.