Rome/Civitavecchia Hotel Question

cantgetaname

Does it make a huge difference if before the cruise we stayed at a hotel in Rome itself or one closer to the port? Never been to Rome so not sure about distance and traffic and stuff. Best to just stick to a nearby hotel at the port or maybe something in Rome itself for a day of sightseeing before the cruise?

It is about an hour to the port from Rome. I would recommend staying in Rome and seeing a few things. There is so much to see! We stayed at Domus Trevi which is a bed and breakfast steps from the Trevi Fountain - wonderful location. We walked to the Vatican and all over. It really is an amazing city.

It does make a "huge" difference. If you have never been to Rome (or even if you have been to Rome) it is a lot nicer spending a night in the city then near the Port or airport. After all, you would be in Rome. Have a nice dinner, stroll after dark, enjoy a cafe, soak up the atmosphere :). It is all good.

Hank

We're going to Rome two days early. There's just so much to see that I wanted to have some time to see it after a long day of flying. We're staying at a place called Hanky Suites (I know, strange name) in the Trastevere section of Rome. It looks nice and it's affordable, and there's a tram a block or two away that goes within a couple blocks of some of the big sights in Rome. I've read there are plenty of restaurants in the area too.

It will be nice to be there at night, since on cruises I often wish I could see the cities we're visiting at night, not just day.

What does a taxi roughly cost from Rome to the port?

From the city of Rome to the cruise port there are a variety of options. You can get a shared shuttle ride with pickup at your hotel for around 65-70 euro per couple. For a private transfer (car pickup, you are only passengers) the cost is roughly twice that for some of the most recommended services -- a little reading here will reveal two or three names for private transfers.

Taxis will likely cost more than these options.

You can also take one of the fast trains from Rome to the Civitavecchia station for about 10-12 euro per person; this gets you a reserved seat. The regional trains are less expensive but do not have reserved seats and can get crowded. Once at the Civitavecchia station you will then take a 2 euro public bus to the port entrance and then a free port shuttle to your ship. You really have to be able to handle your own luggage if you choose this option -- however, it's perfectly doable.

I have spent time in Rome on land vacations. I am considering flying into Rome arriving three days before our cruise to really just soak up wandering around the city and eating the fabulous food. We have already enjoyed seeing most of the sights we are interested in. I thought it might be better to stay in Civitavecchia and take the train back and forth to Rome. It's only an hour each way and relatively inexpensive - and less hassle than dragging luggage around.

Opinions?

I have spent time in Rome on land vacations. I am considering flying into Rome arriving three days before our cruise to really just soak up wandering around the city and eating the fabulous food. We have already enjoyed seeing most of the sights we are interested in. I thought it might be better to stay in Civitavecchia and take the train back and forth to Rome. It's only an hour each way and relatively inexpensive - and less hassle than dragging luggage around.

Opinions?

I wouldn't recommend this. You're not going to drag your luggage around every day. If you stay in Civi, you'll likely end up heading back before dinner, thus missing one of the best parts of the day in Rome -- the evening passeggiata (walking around before and after dinner).

Plus, if you go in and out of Rome for three days, you're wasting more than 6 hours on transit.

Stay in Rome; it's worth it. Well worth it.

I wouldn't recommend this. You're not going to drag your luggage around every day. If you stay in Civi, you'll likely end up heading back before dinner, thus missing one of the best parts of the day in Rome -- the evening passeggiata (walking around before and after dinner).

Plus, if you go in and out of Rome for three days, you're wasting more than 6 hours on transit.

Stay in Rome; it's worth it. Well worth it.

Thank you so much for your reply. We would definitely not return before dinner - there are quite a few restaurants that we enjoy; but I would not be walking around after dinner - by then my legs will be ready to call it a day. I even have a favorite hotel in Rome right at the Spanish Steps - Hotel Mozart. But, I still don't know if I want to deal with getting to the port the morning of the cruise. Either way, we will waste 2 hours back and forth.

The good news is i have plenty of time to think about it - our cruise is next Fall.

Thanks again.

Thank you so much for your reply. We would definitely not return before dinner - there are quite a few restaurants that we enjoy; but I would not be walking around after dinner - by then my legs will be ready to call it a day. I even have a favorite hotel in Rome right at the Spanish Steps - Hotel Mozart. But, I still don't know if I want to deal with getting to the port the morning of the cruise. Either way, we will waste 2 hours back and forth.

The good news is i have plenty of time to think about it - our cruise is next Fall.

Thanks again.

Even if you don't want to take the train, a shared shuttle is as little as 65-70 euros per couple.

I am not a fan of Civitavecchia, but some like it. However, if you plan to spend your time in Rome, I'd stay in Rome. I just don't see it being less of a hassle by staying in Civitavecchia.

Early morning is another favorite time in Rome -- once I slipped into the Pantheon very early and was the only one inside other than the man cleaning the floor. Only he and I saw the misty rain coming in through the oculus. Something else you'd miss if you were commuting. And keep in mind those trains back and forth are going to be full of commuters and ship passengers going in and out of the city...!

Early morning is another favorite time in Rome -- once I slipped into the Pantheon very early and was the only one inside other than the man cleaning the floor. Only he and I saw the misty rain coming in through the oculus. Something else you'd miss if you were commuting.

Sounds coo!!

Opinions?

If I had already spent a lot of time in Rome on land vacations, I could see just staying in Civi and taking the train back and forth to Rome OR staying in Rome. Or I might use one or the other as a base (maybe Civi due to cost) and see if there was somewhere new I could go for a day trip - Orvieto? There are one or two suggested daytrips in this site: tomsportguides.com under the Rome _ TRANSFER guide. The author also writes about his stay post or pre-cruise in Fiumicino, which is a town on the water not too far from the airport of the same name (Marco Polo/Fiumicino). It sounds nice, although I don't know if you (or I) would like staying to 3 days. I also don't know how you would then get to Civi to board the cruise, although I'm sure it can't be hard with private or shared cars, taxis, shuttles, etc.

Just thought I'd mention that as an interesting alternative for you or others who have seen a lot of Rome already.

If I had already spent a lot of time in Rome on land vacations, I could see just staying in Civi and taking the train back and forth to Rome OR staying in Rome. Or I might use one or the other as a base (maybe Civi due to cost) and see if there was somewhere new I could go for a day trip - Orvieto? There are one or two suggested daytrips in this site: tomsportguides.com under the Rome _ TRANSFER guide. The author also writes about his stay post or pre-cruise in Fiumicino, which is a town on the water not too far from the airport of the same name (Marco Polo/Fiumicino). It sounds nice, although I don't know if you (or I) would like staying to 3 days. I also don't know how you would then get to Civi to board the cruise, although I'm sure it can't be hard with private or shared cars, taxis, shuttles, etc.

Just thought I'd mention that as an interesting alternative for you or others who have seen a lot of Rome already.

Thanks - I really am leaning towards basing outside of Rome and I will look into Tomsportguides.com. I may only go into the city one day and I am open to renting a car for the other two- but not in Rome! We do drive in NYC, but this is supposed to be a vacation-lol.

Marco Polo airport is in Venice. I think its Leonardo da Vinci - Fiumicino, right?

Thanks so much for the suggestions!

Thanks - I really am leaning towards basing outside of Rome and I will look into Tomsportguides.com. I may only go into the city one day and I am open to renting a car for the other two- but not in Rome! We do drive in NYC, but this is supposed to be a vacation-lol.

Marco Polo airport is in Venice. I think its Leonardo da Vinci - Fiumicino, right?

Thanks so much for the suggestions!

Oops, yes, sorry, it's Leonardo, not Marco, and it's FCO (Fiumicino)! I guess I had Venice on my mind yesterday.

If I had already spent a lot of time in Rome on land vacations, I could see just staying in Civi and taking the train back and forth to Rome OR staying in Rome. Or I might use one or the other as a base (maybe Civi due to cost) and see if there was somewhere new I could go for a day trip - Orvieto?

Call me dense, I just don't get the benefit of staying in Civitavecchia rather than Rome, except possibly in cases where the party is arriving in the afternoon of one day at Rome/FCO and departing early from Civitavecchia the next day.

Civitavecchia is possibly one of the least interesting Italian towns I've ever visited. It's not quaint or picturesque or charming, and there is little to do there. Whereas even if one has been to Rome a dozen times (which I have), one can always find new and interesting things to do there that would trump Civitavecchia's most exciting offering...

If one doesn't want to stay in Rome, then I would suggest researching and staying elsewhere -- such as Orvieto perhaps, or a real beach town like Gaeta. But the Lazio area doesn't have the same wealth of charming towns that one finds in Tuscany or Umbria.

We had 2 nights in Civitavecchia in July. We have been to Rome before & did not want to go again - my husband finds it very dirty!

We enjoyed our 2 days 1 day looking around Civitavecchia, including the great market with terrific cheese and cured meat stalls. The other day we went to a Tarquinia which we loved.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We had 2 nights in Civitavecchia in July. We have been to Rome before & did not want to go again - my husband finds it very dirty!

We enjoyed our 2 days 1 day looking around Civitavecchia, including the great market with terrific cheese and cured meat stalls. The other day we went to a Tarquinia which we loved.

Thanks! I was beginning to think there was something wrong with me! While I don't find Rome dirty, I am not all that enamored with the city either ( I also don't like Venice-lol).

Where is the market? That interests me!! One of my favorite towns is San Remo - mostly for their twice weekly market! I don't know Tarquinia but I will look it up. We are B & B people and I did see one that looked nice with decent reviews very close to the Civi port. I was hoping to work around that.

Call me dense, I just don't get the benefit of staying in Civitavecchia rather than Rome, except possibly in cases where the party is arriving in the afternoon of one day at Rome/FCO and departing early from Civitavecchia the next day.

Civitavecchia is possibly one of the least interesting Italian towns I've ever visited. It's not quaint or picturesque or charming, and there is little to do there. Whereas even if one has been to Rome a dozen times (which I have), one can always find new and interesting things to do there that would trump Civitavecchia's most exciting offering...

If one doesn't want to stay in Rome, then I would suggest researching and staying elsewhere -- such as Orvieto perhaps, or a real beach town like Gaeta. But the Lazio area doesn't have the same wealth of charming towns that one finds in Tuscany or Umbria.

Thanks I really do appreciate your taking the time to give me your thoughts. I think I am just not that impressed with Rome - my favorite thing is the food ( and being Italian that is a huge compliment). My favorite place in Rome is the Vatican and St. Peter's. I have been there many times and I very much enjoy Mass there. But, given a choice I would go to San Remo or Lake Como. For me Rome is just a city ( with beautiful statues - of course this is a bit of an understatement, I know).

Thanks I really do appreciate your taking the time to give me your thoughts. I think I am just not that impressed with Rome - my favorite thing is the food ( and being Italian that is a huge compliment). My favorite place in Rome is the Vatican and St. Peter's. I have been there many times and I very much enjoy Mass there. But, given a choice I would go to San Remo or Lake Como. For me Rome is just a city ( with beautiful statues - of course this is a bit of an understatement, I know).

Of course, no problem. I should've said in my previous post that it's my opinion and it may not be shared by others. (:cool:). I just hate for people to think, though, that Civitavecchia is going to be anything like a San Remo or Lake Como....

I'm a big city girl, and I can't help that I love all of the art, architecture, history, culture, food, fountains, pageantry, people and just general craziness of Rome. It also doesn't hurt that I'm also very much into ancient Roman history. Turn any corner and you're likely to find a stray column or a reused Roman statue or even a 4th century church. Never ceases to enthrall me.

Where is the market? That interests me!! One of my favorite towns is San Remo - mostly for their twice weekly market! I don't know Tarquinia but I will look it up. We are B & B people and I did see one that looked nice with decent reviews very close to the Civi port. I was hoping to work around that.

The market is in Piazza Regina Margherita. To get there from the port gates, walk up past McDonalds & you come to the pedestrian end of Corso Centocelle. When you get to the roundabout where cars start, turn left onto Via Risorgimento. Carry on across 3 cross roads and at the 4th you’re at the market. Here’s a web-site about it.

https://civitavecchia.portmobility.it/en/civitavecchia-market

The market is in Piazza Regina Margherita. To get there from the port gates, walk up past McDonalds & you come to the pedestrian end of Corso Centocelle. When you get to the roundabout where cars start, turn left onto Via Risorgimento. Carry on across 3 cross roads and at the 4th you’re at the market. Here’s a web-site about it.

https://civitavecchia.portmobility.it/en/civitavecchia-market

Great! Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Forums