Recommendations for Private Wine Tour In Bordeaux Including St. Emilion

Edgewater601

I would appreciate any suggestions for a private wine tour in Bordeaux that includes St. Emilion and multiple wineries/chauteaus. We are arriving on a cruise that overnights in Bordeaux. Thanks for any assistance you can provide. I have been searching Cruise Critic for recommendations but I am not having much luck

Thanks!.

• Like 1

Edgewater.... Will you be on the Prinsendam April 24th cruise.... Bordeaux on May 2? The ship has a tour in the evening at 6:30pm. I have only found out that it is a 5 hour tour with a wine and food pairing. It is a bit pricy, but a private tour on the evening we are there overnight.... we are doing it!

Cheers!

Edgewater.... Will you be on the Prinsendam April 24th cruise.... Bordeaux on May 2? The ship has a tour in the evening at 6:30pm. I have only found out that it is a 5 hour tour with a wine and food pairing. It is a bit pricy, but a private tour on the evening we are there overnight.... we are doing it!

Cheers!

No, we are on Oceania Insignia in June. I have taken the advice posted here and booked a wine tour with Bordeaux Wine Travel on one day and a tour of St Emilion with wine tastings on another day with Elodie. They both sound wonderful. Thank you all for the information.

• 4 months later...

My DW and I will be in Bordeaux on September 26 & 27 this year. We enjoy private tours when we are in ports that provide suitable experiences. I appreciate the 2 suggestions above and would really like to hear how they turned out. If there are other suggestions for operators providing these services we would also appreciate hearing about them.

Thanks in advance.

7 hours ago, ernieb said:

My DW and I will be in Bordeaux on September 26 & 27 this year. We enjoy private tours when we are in ports that provide suitable experiences. I appreciate the 2 suggestions above and would really like to hear how they turned out. If there are other suggestions for operators providing these services we would also appreciate hearing about them.

Thanks in advance.

I will be happy to followup with you; however, we are not taking these tours until June.  Both of these vendors are in demand so I am not sure you will want to wait that long to book.  I will say both vendors have been easy to work with so far and have been very responsive to my questions.

Thanks for the replies.

We have previously toured wineries in Italy (primarily Tenuto Torciano) and were able to purchase wine for delivery to our home in Tennessee. I am assuming we will be able to do the same here, Is that correct?

Thanks.

On 1/9/2019 at 5:57 PM, ernieb said:

Thanks for the replies.

We have previously toured wineries in Italy (primarily Tenuto Torciano) and were able to purchase wine for delivery to our home in Tennessee. I am assuming we will be able to do the same here, Is that correct?

Thanks.

Yes you can.

• 2 months later...

We are going to Bordeaux a couple of days early in October and have set up a private tour on 10/18 for the 4 of us with Bordeaux-Wine-Travel.  I really don't know anything about Henri but I liked everything they could do. 

• 4 months later...

I thought I would get back with everyone.  We were in Bordeaux for two days in June.  One day we toured with Henri with Bordeaux Wine Travel and the second day with Bordeaux with Elodie.  Both tours were fabulous and we had wine shipped home.  You can’t go wrong with either of these two companies—enjoy!!

Thanks for getting back with your experiences Edgewater601, appreciate the feedback. May I ask for a price idea, how much would a tour like this cost, did you taste any Grand Crus? Thanks again 😊

15 hours ago, prish said:

Thanks for getting back with your experiences Edgewater601, appreciate the feedback. May I ask for a price idea, how much would a tour like this cost, did you taste any Grand Crus? Thanks again 😊

The price, of course, depends on how many are on the tour and how long it is.  I will list my itinerary for our party of 4 on the Bordeaux Wine Travel Tour of the Medoc Region with Henri.  There are many wineries available but we were there on a Sunday which limits some of your choices--we still had a fabulous tour, wonderful tastings, and a terrific lunch.  Our pickup was at 8:30 a.m.  At 10:00 a.m. we were at Chateau Lafon-Rochet in the St. Estephe's Vineyard.  At 11:30 a.m. we visited Chateau Hourtin-Ducasse in the Haut-Medoc's Vineyard.  At 1:15 p.m. we had lunch at Le Saint Julian Restaurant--wonderful French quisine in a quaint outdoor setting!  At 3:30 p.m. we were at Chateau Pichon Baron in the Pauillac Vineyard, and at 5:30 p.m. we were returned to the ship.  Our cost for 4 was 380 Euros plus tasting fees which I think came in at about 132 Euros for the 4 of us, plus lunch, and tip.

On Monday, we toured the St. Emilion/Pomerol Region of Bordeaux with Jeremy from Bordeaux with Elodie Tours and had another fantastic day.  We had a party of 6 on that day.  Pickup was at 9:30 a.m.  At 10:30 a.m. we were at Chateau Franc Mayne for a lovely tour and wine tasting.  At 12:00 noon we had lunch at La Terrassee Rouge then a drive through other top wineries and a tour of Saint Emilion.  At 2:15 p.m. we had wine tasting and wine tips at Le Cellier de Saint Emilion.  At 3:30 p.m. we visited Chateau Tour Saint Christophe for tour/wine tasting with a cheese platter.  At 5:30 p.m. we were returned to the ship.  Our cost for our party of 6 was 770 Euros which included our wine tasting fees.  Lunch and tips were extra.  You are certainly able to pick whatever wineries you are interested in depending upon their availability on your tour day.  And your tasting fees will vary with the winery.  Both days were terrific and a highlight of our trip.  The guides were wonderful, knowledgeable, and Henri was an educated and certified sommelier.  Jeremy had worked with the vines all his life and provided various information on the grapes and the processes in the vineyards.  Both days were so worth the money we paid.  If you have an opportunity to tour using either of these companies, please don't pass up the opportunity!

I hope this helps!  Enjoy fabulous Bordeaux!  

• Like 1

Edgewater, thank you so much for the detailed reply on your wine tours. The price seems to be pretty much in the ball park figure I imagined. We’re looking at a land tour of the Bordeaux region next year and your tips will be most useful, thanks again!

Ours, come this October, will also be 380 euro for four to the St Emilion area:

09:00 AM: Departure from your hotel
10:00 AM: Visit and wine tasting at château Beau-Sejour Becot in the St-Emilion Grand Cru's vineyard (25 Euros/pers) 
11:30 AM: Visit and wine tasting at château du Tailhas in the Pomerol's vineyard (10 Euros/pers)
01:00 PM:  Lunch at Chai Pascal wine bar restaurant in St-Emilion medieval town
03:30 PM: Visit and wine tasting at château La Croizille in the St-Emilion Grand Cru's vineyard (12 Euros/pers)
05:00 PM: Wine tasting at ETS Martin wine shop in St-Emilion medieval town (20 Euros/pers or free if you buy for 80 Euros of wine at least)
06:00 PM: Drop off at Hotel

• 2 years later...