Taking the train from Civi to the Colosseum

hrmkr

I have started to research which train and metro stop to get to the Colosseum. I found one thread a little bit ago that listed which stop to get off of the train (not Termini) and then to transfer to the metro but I cannot find it again.

We have to meet for our tour at 9:40. I want to have plenty of time to be able to meet at At Largo Gaetana Agnesi, above the 2nd floor of the metro line B (blue line) stop "Colosseo".

Can someone please give me some help as to where to get off of the train to be able to easily transfer to the metro so I can get on the blue line to the Colosseum?

What time should I catch the train from CIvi? I need to factor in getting off the ship and then to the train.

Thank you very much for your valuable information.

Howard

The easiest way I know is to take the train from Civitavecchia and get off at the Roma-Ostiense station. The Piramide metro station, on the Blue line, is right next to the Ostiense station, and you can actually walk from one building to the other without going outside (I can't remember precisely but I think it is via an underpass....)

After you get off the train, look for signs for "Metro" or "Piramide" or look for this symbol: 42px-Metropolitana_di_Roma_B.svg.png

You can use the BIRG pass but have it handy as you'll have to insert it into the turnstile to get into the metro.

Make sure to get on a north-bound metro train -- follow the maps on the walls. You should look for a train headed in the direction of either Rebibbia or Concha d'Oro. Either one is fine for your purposes.

Colosseo (where you'll get off) is only two stops from where you get on, so stay attentive and if the train is crowded don't get too far from the door.

After you exit the station, I'm not exactly sure of the precise location of your meeting point, but it looks very close to the station.

Regarding timing, if it were me I'd probably want to be on the 7:44 am train departing Civitavecchia; it arrives at Ostiense at 8:36 am which should give you a decent amount of time to change to Piramide, ride the metro, and arrive at Colosseo with enough time to find your meeting point without stressing. (And maybe even to grab an espresso or cappuccino before your tour.)

There is also a 7:58 am train that could be a fallback; it arrives Ostiense at 9:06 am and probably will still give you enough time.

Cruisemom42,

Thank you very much. I knew one of the experienced Rome travelers would have the information.

Not sure how long it takes to go from the ship to the train station. What time should I be off the ship? Thinking about 7:00 to make sure I have plenty of time to get to the station and buy the round trip tickets.