Advice on booking shared shuttle transfer - fco to civi

NJ&Ozzie

Hi,

Hope it's okay to ask this question here. We plan to book a shared shuttle for transfer from FCO Airport (Rome) to Civi Cruise Terminal on October 24th. This is with Civitavecchiacabservice. Staying overnight near airport with shuttle booked for morning of 24th (day of cruise).

Option is to have shuttle company pick us up at hotel or airport. Is hotel pickup better or should we take hotel shuttle to airport & get CiviCab transfer there instead? Is it reliable to wait at hotel?

Last shuttle transfer is at 9:30 a.m.- thinking will book 9 a.m. Is it better to book earlier than 9 a.m.?

Our first time doing shared shuttle so any tips or advice would be appreciated. Thanks

NJ

I used Civitavecchia Cab Service 3 times - Once from FCO to Civi; Once from Civi port to Rome hotel; and Once from Rome Hotel back to FCO. The ONLY time the driver did not arrive late was when we were picked up at the Rome Hotel. In fact, the driver was 1.5 hours late when picking us up from FCO.

So, my recommendation is to have them pick you up at the hotel. I would also recommend calling / emailing once you arrive in Rome to confirm.

I used Civitavecchia Cab Service 3 times - Once from FCO to Civi; Once from Civi port to Rome hotel; and Once from Rome Hotel back to FCO. The ONLY time the driver did not arrive late was when we were picked up at the Rome Hotel. In fact, the driver was 1.5 hours late when picking us up from FCO.

So, my recommendation is to have them pick you up at the hotel. I would also recommend calling / emailing once you arrive in Rome to confirm.

Thanks! Well that is interesting. We plan to stay at hotel close to FCO airport, not in Rome. Now I'm nervous about going day of cruise on 24th! We arrive FCO at noon on 23rd.

Thought about booked shared shuttle then but companies I've looked at have last shuttle at 1 pm. I don't think that's enough time to get off plane, get luggage & catch shuttle so can't do that. Usually take train but don't want to do train this time.

NJ

Civitavecchia Cab Service picked us up well after 1. In fact, I am looking at the time on my pictures... our plane landed at 1:00 pm, and the driver finally showed up at 3:25 pm. We were staying overnight in Civi, so no real rush for us. However, we were sharing the shuttle with 2 other couples who were sailing that day! The driver stepped it up, and got them to the cruise port before 4:30. I have the pictures to prove it - we were at FCO at 3:30, and in our hotel at 4:35, after dropping the other pax off at the cruise port :o

You could ask them whether they will pick you up after 1:00, and spend a night in Civi. Otherwise, catching the shuttle early in the morning should be more than fine.

Civitavecchia Cab Service picked us up well after 1. In fact, I am looking at the time on my pictures... our plane landed at 1:00 pm, and the driver finally showed up at 3:25 pm. We were staying overnight in Civi, so no real rush for us. However, we were sharing the shuttle with 2 other couples who were sailing that day! The driver stepped it up, and got them to the cruise port before 4:30. I have the pictures to prove it - we were at FCO at 3:30, and in our hotel at 4:35, after dropping the other pax off at the cruise port :o

You could ask them whether they will pick you up after 1:00, and spend a night in Civi. Otherwise, catching the shuttle early in the morning should be more than fine.

Thanks for this. Always helps to hear someone else's experience. I will contact CiviCab to ask about shuttle on 23rd. Will let you know what they say. I would prefer that as we already booked a hotel in Civi for 23rd that we've stayed at a few times already. This was before we thought about taking shared shuttle on 24th.

The worst that can happen is CiviCab is a no-show so we have to either book train or have expense of last minute shuttle.

NJ

The worst that can happen is CiviCab is a no-show so we have to either book train or have expense of last minute shuttle.

Essentially, CiviCab was a no-show for us at FCO. We called them after they did not show up at Arrivals, and within minutes "the driver's friend", another cab driver, had a sign with our names and told us that our driver would be there shortly.

Even with my experience, I would book with them again. The cars were nice, and the drivers were friendly. I would just be sure to reconfirm the day before.

Let me know what they say about the 23rd - it's your best bet if they are willing to drive out at that time.

We, on the other hand, had the opposite experience— the drivers were always early .... We used them 6 times, from FCO to our hotel near the Spanish steps, from there to port (no place to wait for the early driver....), and vice versa - we stayed in Rome before and after the cruise.

Their prices are so competitive, that we used the private transfer every time...

Given the response, I'd have some concerns about this company. Have you looked at other shared shuttle options?

I've booked several times with romashuttle.com -- they have a reasonable shared shuttle price of 70 euro per couple from either Rome or FCO to Civitavecchia, and they have always been reliable with regard to timing. (No waiting for an hour and a half!)

Of course, with a shared shuttle you may pick up other folks along the way so it's always a good idea to pad your time if you are concerned about arriving at a certain time.

Given the response, I'd have some concerns about this company. Have you looked at other shared shuttle options?

I've booked several times with romashuttle.com -- they have a reasonable shared shuttle price of 70 euro per couple from either Rome or FCO to Civitavecchia, and they have always been reliable with regard to timing. (No waiting for an hour and a half!)

Of course, with a shared shuttle you may pick up other folks along the way so it's always a good idea to pad your time if you are concerned about arriving at a certain time.

I have emailed CiviCabs to see if I can book a shared shuttle from FCO to Civi on Oct. 23rd thus avoiding issues of shuttle on Oct. 24th (day of cruise). Will let everyone know what they say. Meanwhile, not a bad idea to contact some other shuttle companies - see what they say. My main concern is our flight arrives at noon on 23rd - will they wait for us if their last shuttle leaves at 1 pm??

Thanks to all for valuable input.

NJ

I have emailed CiviCabs to see if I can book a shared shuttle from FCO to Civi on Oct. 23rd thus avoiding issues of shuttle on Oct. 24th (day of cruise). Will let everyone know what they say. Meanwhile, not a bad idea to contact some other shuttle companies - see what they say. My main concern is our flight arrives at noon on 23rd - will they wait for us if their last shuttle leaves at 1 pm??

Thanks to all for valuable input.

NJ

Hi,

Heard back from CiviCabs - said yes, they can pick us up. So just confirming details/price now.

They ask for a mobile phone number. We do not have one. Is this a problem? Do they have free wifi in FCO airport, maybe we can log on & use our MagicJack?

Thanks,

NJ

That's great news! I can't recall whether there was free wifi. You can tell them to email you if there are any issues... we did not need to provide a cell phone number.

Hi Jacquelyn,

Just got confirmation from CiviCabs - we are booked for shared shuttle on Oct. 23rd. The booking confirmation says they will monitor flight. Hopefully it will take us less than an hour to get off plane/get luggage/customs - otherwise we have to call them somehow to get another shuttle.

Fingers crossed! Will report back on how it turns out in October.

Thanks for your help.

NJ