What if I don't want an excursion??

19a1angyl

First time cruiser with a couple of questions on excursions. Is it possible to just walk around or lay on a beach without purchasing an expensive excursion? We're not into snorkeling or other water sports, nor do we want to travel on ferries or buses to reach our destination. Can we just hit a beach? Are they close to the ports? Is there a cost? I saw a couple of of excursions that did not include anything but a beach. Is it possible that they cost $60 bucks a person to lay around? Would appreciate some clarification. By the way, we haven't decided whether we're doing the Western or Eastern Caribbean. Most likely Western though.

We never do shore excursions. For the W. Key West is very easy to get around. Can do the trolly, or rent a bike or scooter or just walk around. GrandCayman is very expesnive. There is 7 mile beach but I am not sure how much it costs via cab. Cozumel. Go to Mr. Sanchos about $15 taxi ride each way they have a beach, pool, massage, place to eat.

Lexi

Check out the ports of call board for info on doing things on your own: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=587 It's very easy to do things on your own and much less expensive!

Just make sure you make it back to the ship on time because they'll leave without you! There's peace of mind booking an excursion through the ship as if the excursion runs late and doesn't get you back to the ship on time, they'll wait.

You do not have to book excursions. You are free to get off the ship and do your own thing. If the ship is calling at a private island don't forget the provided beach towel, simply walk to the nearest beach and plop yourself down.

If you want to do some sightseeing just remember that the ship will not wait for you. You must be back aboard by the "back on board" time set for each port. This time is at least a half hour before the ship is scheduled to depart.

In some ports beaches are public and you can simply walk or taxi to a beach and enjoy. In other ports most beaches are private and for those you typically have to buy a hotel day pass to enjoy the beach. These passes often include some food and beverage. Check the ports of call sections on this board and the Ports section of the CC web site for details.

Some ports have beaches nearby and others require a walk or taxi ride. If you are more specific on your ports people can provide more specific information.

I didn't realize there was a board for ports of call. I'm new to the cruise experience and to Boards like these. Thanks. I'm considering Disney's Western Caribbean (Key West, Grand Cayman, Cozumel and Castaway Cay). Wasn't sure for my first cruise if I really wanted to have two full days a sea on the Eastern Cruise (although St/ Maarten and St/ Thomas are tempting). I understand they have very beautiful beaches.

Key West you just walk off the ship and enjoy the funky downtown area.

Grand Cayman is a tendered port. That is, the ship parks itself about 1,600' off shore and boats take you back an forth. If you want to do a truly gorgeous beach get off the tender and look for the line of buses in front of the port authority. Take the bus to Seven Mile beach. The further up you go the more expensive. If memory serves you can go $5, $6 and $7. Pick one of the later two and enjoy. You can also walk around the downtown area. Lots of shopping, some restaurants and ice cream stores.

I'm not sure where Disney docks in Cozumel. Depending where you can either walk or taxi to the downtown shopping area. Otherwise I'd suggest an excursion to a beach.

St Maarten is fun and easy to do on your own. You can buy an all day water taxi pass, $7 if I recall correctly. This will take you between the cruise terminal and downtown Philipsburg. There is a nice beach running the length of the downtown area with a boardwalk. Lots and lots of shopping behind that. Or you can taxi to the French side. Orient Beach is incredible. Just one thing, nudity on beaches is common. Less so in Philipsburg, but not unknown.

St Thomas has at least a dozen nice beaches you can taxi to. And if that isn't enough you can grab a ferry to St John for a dozen even nicer ones.

I'm not sure where Disney docks in Cozumel. Depending where you can either walk or taxi to the downtown shopping area. Otherwise I'd suggest

You will dock at the International Pier. When you get off the ship make your way thru the maze of shops, here you can take a cab to town for excellent Mexican shopping or do what I do. When you get to the road walk left about 1/2 to 3/4 mile to a beachfront bar called Baracuda they allow you to use their chairs and swim or snorkel for free, of course I always buy a few beers and sometime lunch but it is not necessary.

I didn't realize there was a board for ports of call. I'm new to the cruise experience and to Boards like these. Thanks. I'm considering Disney's Western Caribbean (Key West, Grand Cayman, Cozumel and Castaway Cay). Wasn't sure for my first cruise if I really wanted to have two full days a sea on the Eastern Cruise (although St/ Maarten and St/ Thomas are tempting). I understand they have very beautiful beaches.

No you do not have to take an excursion. :)

I haven't been to Key West in 10 years so I can't comment on that one. :)

Grand Cayman- We just rent a car for the day and hit the sites we want to see. There is a rental car place close to the port. :)

Cozumel- We take a taxi to Chakanaab park for the day. We get our coupon off of their website and spend the day at the beach.

Castaway Cay- Is Disney's private island. It's all beach. :)

We seldom do excursions! A guidebook is the most valuable tool you can have...it will inform you of ALL there is to do in a given country, and how to get there, what it will cost...where shopping, food, bathrooms, etc...are, and you need not pay all that money for someone to TAKE you there! Jeez!

Get a guidebook! Libraries have them, or you can buy one!

Archived