Naples, Capri, Amalfi, Or Pompei???

Breakfast_at_Taylors

I’m headed to Europe for the very first time this October on a 12-night cruise, and I want to see as much as I possibly can without burning out! Unfortunately, my ship only stays in Naples (its first Italian port of call, therefore my first experience with Italy) for one day, and I’m in a bit of a pickle. Do I want to spend the day in Naples, visit Capri, or go on an excursion that combines Pompei with Sorrento/Positano/the Amalfi Coast? If we do an excursion further afield, we definitely have to go through the cruise line (we’ve had bad experiences with self-planned excursions in the past.)

Which of these would you suggest for me and my traveling companion (my mom)? We’re two fit, adventurous Americans who love walking, window shopping, and taking pictures of quaint and quirky side streets and alleyways.

I’m so looking forward to hearing your suggestions!! Thank you.

It's always hard to recommend things to others without knowing them.

I think the long tours that go to Pompeii and the Amalfi Coast are just too long to really let you appreciate any one place. Also keep in mind that the ship-sponsored big bus tours cannot actually go down into Positano -- so you'd only see it from afar.

Capri has a lot to offer if you like pretty scenery, shopping, photogenic streets, etc. It's a bit "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous" in some parts but definitely worth a visit.

Naples is more of a gritty "real" city, but definitely has things worth seeing -- and tasting. My first pick in Naples would be the Archaeological Museum with all of the wonderful finds from Pompeii, Herculaneum, and other areas.

Wonderful information! Thank you so much.

It's always hard to recommend things to others without knowing them.

I think the long tours that go to Pompeii and the Amalfi Coast are just too long to really let you appreciate any one place. Also keep in mind that the ship-sponsored big bus tours cannot actually go down into Positano -- so you'd only see it from afar.

Capri has a lot to offer if you like pretty scenery, shopping, photogenic streets, etc. It's a bit "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous" in some parts but definitely worth a visit.

Naples is more of a gritty "real" city, but definitely has things worth seeing -- and tasting. My first pick in Naples would be the Archaeological Museum with all of the wonderful finds from Pompeii, Herculaneum, and other areas.

Naples is one of the ports where you have a tough decision to make as there are so many options available combined with a lack of time.

As they all offer different types of sights you should both read about the different places and decide together which would most appeal to you.

To make your decision even harder, they are all good!

Hi, Sounds fun!

I guess since its a cruise stop, I would do Capri as "cruisemom42" mentioned.

If you do, look for taxi driver in a red convertible fiat to take you up from the marina where you will start. Hes a terrific local guy, his name is Felix.

I would also take the chair lift to the very top of Capri, called Anacapri.

Have a Great time whatever you decide to do

Go to Capri, travel on the Funicular and the chairlift, enjoy an authentic "Caprese" salad and take in the magnificent views!

next time we're in Italy we'll do Positano and Sorrento but for a first time visit then it has to be Capri, Enjoy

If you are interested in history and ruins and this is your first time to Italy, I don’t see how you can miss Pompei. So I’d recommend the Pompei/Amalfi combo . Pompei is amazing and you’ll also get to see the beautiful Amalfi Coast .

If not as much into ruins but more into just a picturesque day then I’d recommend you go to Capri for day, it’s lovely there you can go to blue grotto and see where the Roman Emperors vacationed at their palace with amazing views of Mediterranean Sea.

Naples is a “real” city and there is lots to see and enjoy but it would not be my first choice. Add to that the fact that it is well known for pickpockets who operate on scooters and dangerous drivers. If you walk into the city, which is close to the dock, then have a care for your belongings.

Capri is all about people watching. The ferries over to Capri are crowded so be ready to be a sardine at the busy times. October should be better as it is not the main tourist season.

Given that you are there in October the heat will not be as oppressive as it can be and the Amalphi drive much quieter (Naples to Sorrento can be 2 hours in August). That being the case my choice for a first time visit would definitely be Pompeii and the Amalphi coast.

Pompeii is up there with the most interesting historical sites in terms of authenticity and interest, it’s not just another city, it’s a bit of time travel so not something to be missed imo.

If you get down into Positano there are some beautiful shops with unusual clothing, one shop does all sea based designs and they are really lovely.

In Sorrento you can shop till you drop in the quaint narrow streets or people watch on the main square. There is an amazing restaurant that was the birth place of cannaloni. Ristorante o parricchiano. It is like walking into someone’s garden, cool and shady. Lovely authentic food here if you have time for lunch.

Just to make your choice even harder is the cruise offering Herculanium? It is even more authentic than Pompeii and the remains there include preserved textiles and wall frescos as well as buildings.

We did a combination tour to Pompeii and Sorrento last year. We loved it. Pompeii is so interesting, and if you go there I totally recommend you go with a guide. There is so much history and the guide we had did an amazing job of explaining everything. We also loved Sorrento - it is so beautiful and picturesque. Beautiful little side streets, lots of quaint shops, lemons everywhere you look. We had a lovely time.

I'm sure you will enjoy whatever you pick.

I’m headed to Europe for the very first time this October on a 12-night cruise, and I want to see as much as I possibly can without burning out! Unfortunately, my ship only stays in Naples (its first Italian port of call, therefore my first experience with Italy) for one day, and I’m in a bit of a pickle. Do I want to spend the day in Naples, visit Capri, or go on an excursion that combines Pompei with Sorrento/Positano/the Amalfi Coast? If we do an excursion further afield, we definitely have to go through the cruise line (we’ve had bad experiences with self-planned excursions in the past.)

Which of these would you suggest for me and my traveling companion (my mom)? We’re two fit, adventurous Americans who love walking, window shopping, and taking pictures of quaint and quirky side streets and alleyways.

If it's any help, from 3 Med cruises I made videos of some of the possibilities out of Naples, which must surely be the port with the most truly great options. They are numbers 5,6 and 7 (Amalfi Coast), 8 and 9 (Capri) and 10 & 11 (Pompeii and Herculaneum) in this playlist

All were done by public transport except the 3 Amalfi Coast towns, where we used Joe Banana.

All the best, Tony

Oh, goodness! They all look so wonderful. Which was your own personal favorite?

The are all wonderful but I have seen towns as pretty as those on the Amalfi Coast and islands as nice as Capri but there's nowhere like Pompeii and Herculaneum so that would be my choice. But it might not be yours, of course.

The are all wonderful but I have seen towns as pretty as those on the Amalfi Coast and islands as nice as Capri but there's nowhere like Pompeii and Herculaneum so that would be my choice. But it might not be yours, of course.

I too would recommend the ancient ruins as my top favorite....but there's not much window-shopping in Pompeii and Herculaneum (which the OP initially wanted to include). Unless one is interested in being some really old paintings or mosaic tile.... :')

If it's any help, from 3 Med cruises I made videos of some of the possibilities out of Naples, which must surely be the port with the most truly great options. They are numbers 5,6 and 7 (Amalfi Coast), 8 and 9 (Capri) and 10 & 11 (Pompeii and Herculaneum) in this playlist
All were done by public transport except the 3 Amalfi Coast towns, where we used Joe Banana.

All the best, Tony

Just wanted to let you know how much I am enjoying these videos - you have lovely memories with your family and they are helping to provide a wonderful back drop to many of the ports that we will be visiting. Thank you!

Just wanted to let you know how much I am enjoying these videos - you have lovely memories with your family and they are helping to provide a wonderful back drop to many of the ports that we will be visiting. Thank you!

Aw, thanks. I always do a vid from every port I visit as we see so many sights on a cruise and I sometimes struggle to remember exactly what I saw where. I wish you all a superb time on your cruise.

• 2 weeks later...

We hired private drive and did Amalfi Coast that drive is something else, such a beautiful view, stopped for pictures at scenic overlook, then stopped at balcony to take pictures of Positano, then 2 hours free time at Sorrento, then a stop for pizza on the way to Pompeii, 2 hours at Pompeii, could of use more than 2 or should of hire a guide, very hard to read their map, didn't want to get lost and miss our meeting time :) We even had time to stop for coffee and gelato at Naples before getting back on the ship. We met or driver at 7:30 and were back on the ship by 5:30. Driver was great and it was our best excursion in all 3 ports in Italy. mrcabdrivernapoli@gmail.com

• 1 month later...
We did a fabulous tour with Joe Banana that was a combo Pompei/Amalfi. We stopped in Positano, had lunch just before Amalfi, and spent some time in Almalfi. Last we had about 2 hrs at Pompei. It was a long day, but it was amazing!!!

We did the same with Joe Banana. Far cheaper for our family of four in a private car rather than with masses of people in the cruise line’s big bus. The car was able to get us places that the big buses would not have been able to navigate.

Granted, it was a very full day, but of all the options mentioned thus far, was the best for history, food, scenic views, architecture combined.

OP - Which tour did you decide to go with?

I want to see Pompeii and some beautiful Amalfi views. I don't necessarily need to shop much. I just like beautiful scenery with a some history.

So I think that leaves me with choosing from the following tours:

Pompeii Amalfi Coast (Pompeii, Positano & Amalfi)

Pompeii, Sorrento, Positano

Or no Pompeii and do Ravello, Sorrento, Positano,

Anyone want to give me a little more insight? I've never been to Italy before.

Edited by erby2283

Have you joined the Roll Call for your cruise? We've always done that and joined small-group tours organized by folks on our Roll Call. On our last cruise we did such a tour from Naples that stopped in Herculaneum (smaller than Pompei but also destroyed by Mt. Vesuvius), Sorrento and the Amalfi Coast. Sorrento and Amalfi Coast would fulfill your love of "walking, window shopping, and taking pictures of quaint and quirky side streets and alleyways." It was a wonderful 8-hours! Note: We had visited Pompeii on a previous cruise and it's pretty much a full day on its own.