Is it advisable to buy Pompeii tickets in advance?

Nicstids

Hi all

We are docked in Naples on Saturday 20 October 2018 and plan to go to Pompeii on our own by bus or train. I would hope that we will be at Pompeii by 10.30am at the latest. Our ship doesn't depart until 7pm so we have plenty of time.

Do you think it would be advisable to buy tickets online in advance or is there unlikely to be much of a queue at the site that time of year?

Thanks a lot

Even that time of year (and it is a Saturday) it would be wise to pre-purchase.

There'll likely be a line for security at the entrance, and you don't want to endure another line before that in order to buy tickets.

JB :)

We went to Pompeii a couple of years ago on a ship excursion and witnessed some very heated exchanges in the queue for tickets. There was only one ticket window open so the queue was long and very slow moving. Anyone who agreed to enter with a local guide got taken out of the queue and taken to the ticket window. This angered a lot of people in the queue and led to a lot of shouting and confrontations with the local guides. All on our excursion had paid for our tickets but we still had to queue.

An amazing place to visit, pity about the lack of organisation.

Was there last Tuesday. Buy your ticket online. When you get there, there are three lines for the ticket windows- pre-purchased online, buy on site, with a guide. The line to redeem the online voucher was 10 minutes. The line (in 100 degree heat with no shade) to purchase onsite appeared to be over an hour wait. Hire a guide and cut to the front of every line. If you know you are going to go, book online. The ticket is the same price (15E) either way. Online also has a 1.50E service fee, or as I chose to think about it, a 1.50 "skip the line" ticket.

Was there last Tuesday. Buy your ticket online. When you get there, there are three lines for the ticket windows- pre-purchased online, buy on site, with a guide. The line to redeem the online voucher was 10 minutes. The line (in 100 degree heat with no shade) to purchase onsite appeared to be over an hour wait. Hire a guide and cut to the front of every line. If you know you are going to go, book online. The ticket is the same price (15E) either way. Online also has a 1.50E service fee, or as I chose to think about it, a 1.50 "skip the line" ticket.

There's nothing wrong with buying tickets in advance. But do keep in mind that the OP is going in October, not August, which is probably the most crowded month to visit. (And, of course, probably the hottest...:eek:

I have also been looking into advance online tickets as we will only have 2 hours to visit Pompeii. When I look at buying tickets tickets in advance online it says 830am. Does this mean it only covers entry at 830am or is the ticket good for the whole day? We will likely not be arriving there until almost 2pm in late September.

I have also been looking into advance online tickets as we will only have 2 hours to visit Pompeii. When I look at buying tickets tickets in advance online it says 830am. Does this mean it only covers entry at 830am or is the ticket good for the whole day? We will likely not be arriving there until almost 2pm in late September.
It's interesting that the official web site for the ruins says they open at 9 AM but the official on-line ticket office (ticketone.it) says they open at 8:30. My best guess is that it's to give on-line purchasers a head start but that's just a guess.

Your ticket will be good for the entire day, you don't have to arrive at 8:30. You will need to exchange the voucher you get for an actual ticket, there is a specific ticket line for this purpose.