Pompeii and Vesuvius

Ksc_cc

Having learned so much from these boards in my planning, I’m hoping someone can direct me to a couple details on public transportation timetables and let me know if this plan makes sense.

Naples port, NCL Epic. In port from 7-7 on Tues August 28. 2 adults and 2 teens.

I am planning to walk to the bus station and take the 8:00 Sita bus which arrives at Pompeii Scavi at 8:45. I think I can buy tickets at the bus station? If retuning on SITA bus I should buy return ticket at the same time. Will it be hard to catch the 8:00 bus if we can’t get off the ship until 7:30?

Next, Tour Pompeii with guide in small group formed at the gate. I’ve seen advice both ways about pre-purchasing tickets. Haven’t decided about that yet.

Thinking about taking the bus from Pompeii to Vesuvius when we are done in Pompeii. I believe this is called the EAV bus and it sounds like you would find it near where we entered. I’m having trouble finding times for this bus.

I saw a map that suggests I could take the EAV bus to Naples rather than go back to Pompeii. Does anyone know route information on this? Would that bus take me to Porta Nolana? If not I would return to Pompeii and take SITA bus or Campania Express or Circumvesuviana back to Naples depending on timing.

Does this sound like a reasonable plan? Thanks in advance.

Naples port, NCL Epic. In port from 7-7 on Tues August 28. 2 adults and 2 teens.

I am planning to walk to the bus station and take the 8:00 Sita bus which arrives at Pompeii Scavi at 8:45. I think I can buy tickets at the bus station? If retuning on SITA bus I should buy return ticket at the same time. Will it be hard to catch the 8:00 bus if we can’t get off the ship until 7:30?

Yes, it's only a third of a mile from the cruise port to Piazza Immacolatella, the SITA depot. There is a ticket office there and I would buy the return ticket at the same time (andata e ritorno), just to make things easier.

Thinking about taking the bus from Pompeii to Vesuvius when we are done in Pompeii. I believe this is called the EAV bus and it sounds like you would find it near where we entered. I’m having trouble finding times for this bus.
Actually, if you're going to take the bus to Vesuvio right after Pompei the most efficient way would be to visit the ruins "one way", entering at Porta Marina (near the SITA bus stop and the Circumvesuvia train station) and exiting at Anfiteatro where the bus to Vesuvio starts. The schedule is here: https://www.eavsrl.it/web/sites/default/files/eavbus/Pompei-Vesuvio.pdf

This is one of the few buses in the region that you can purchase the ticket from the driver.

You won't be able to take the EAV bus back to Naples, unfortunately, because the last return of the day is too early (it departs Vesuvio at 2 PM: https://www.eavsrl.it/web/sites/default/files/eavbus/Napoli%20Vesuvio_0.pdf).

Yes, it's only a third of a mile from the cruise port to Piazza Immacolatella, the SITA depot. There is a ticket office there and I would buy the return ticket at the same time (andata e ritorno), just to make things easier.

Actually, if you're going to take the bus to Vesuvio right after Pompei the most efficient way would be to visit the ruins "one way", entering at Porta Marina (near the SITA bus stop and the Circumvesuvia train station) and exiting at Anfiteatro where the bus to Vesuvio starts. The schedule is here: https://www.eavsrl.it/web/sites/default/files/eavbus/Pompei-Vesuvio.pdf

This is one of the few buses in the region that you can purchase the ticket from the driver.

You won't be able to take the EAV bus back to Naples, unfortunately, because the last return of the day is too early (it departs Vesuvio at 2 PM: https://www.eavsrl.it/web/sites/default/files/eavbus/Napoli%20Vesuvio_0.pdf).

Isnt it better if you take a train from pompei to vesuvius (ercolano stop) then take one of the tour buses up and back to vesuvius (only gives you 1 1/2 hrs)? Then take train up to Napoli grand central and cab to port? I was mapping this out for our trip in November when we stay in naples. I know it was confusing of where to start...Pompeii or vesuvius. I could be wrong. We ended up booking a bike tour from naples that will go to vesuvius then Pompeii then back to naples. (Husband's idea)...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

Isnt it better if you take a train from pompei to vesuvius (ercolano stop) then take one of the tour buses up and back to vesuvius (only gives you 1 1/2 hrs)? Then take train up to Napoli grand central and cab to port?
That's another way to do it. I don't think one is better than the other.

We ended up booking a bike tour from naples that will go to vesuvius then Pompeii then back to naples. (Husband's idea)...

That bike tour and route sounds like a good way to do it! Where did you book that? I have googled but cant find anything.

Thx

Paul

That bike tour and route sounds like a good way to do it! Where did you book that? I have googled but cant find anything.

Thx

Paul

"I rent bikes" is the name of the company in Naples. It's either a 5 hour ride with drivebys of vesuvius and Pompeii or 6-7 hrs with brief stops. It's really hard to find these places sometimes because most companies just want either 500 euros for 2 people or being jammed with 40 others. We like fresh air and exercising so this was perfect. We rent bikes everywhere usually wherever we go that has halfway decent bike trails. This however I was more comfortable with a guide though as it's not smooth terrain in some spots.

"I rent bikes" is the name of the company in Naples. It's either a 5 hour ride with drivebys of vesuvius and Pompeii or 6-7 hrs with brief stops. It's really hard to find these places sometimes because most companies just want either 500 euros for 2 people or being jammed with 40 others. We like fresh air and exercising so this was perfect. We rent bikes everywhere usually wherever we go that has halfway decent bike trails. This however I was more comfortable with a guide though as it's not smooth terrain in some spots.

Thanks!!