Venice Hotels where I do least amount of dragging my bags from VCE?

Moxiefurball

Ok. So we are cruising next year out of Rome, but know thinking about first flying into Venice for a couple nights and then flying to Rome .

So first... We are two ppl, will both have an airline checked bag and a carry on. So we don't want alot of walking over several bridges to get to hotel.

I see the hotel Santa Chiara looks to be a possibility as you can actually get a taxi( auto) straight from VCE to hotel. So we like that. The pics look nice but its not completely what I though of when thinking about the quintisential Venice Hotel.

Possibly the Rialto Hotel near Rialto bridge, I see the water taxi from airport does stop close by . And that looks to be in an area I think of when I think of Venice.

Thoughts anyone. What hotels have you stayed at with minimal walking with your bags or practically none at all. Also, how is it getting bags into one of those water taxes from airport. Does someone help you with bags or do you drag it into taxi yourself.

Also, would you fly from Venice to Rome or take another method. I see flight look to be only around 55-60 one way[

There is no one to help you with luggage if you ride public transportation.

The Santa Chiara is on the Piazzale Roma and there are 2 other hotels nearby where a land taxi can drop you at the door ; CaDoge and AC Hotel Venezia (Marriott).

If you can manage one small bridge there are several more options. They are listed in this link:

https://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/10-hotels-near-cruise-ships.htm

OTOH, if you don't want to deal with luggage, you can stay at the airport and commute into Venice (20 minute ride)

OR, leave your large suitcase at the left luggage facility in Piazzale Roma (or airport) and just take an overnight bag with you to the hotel.

If you want to stay further into Venice you will need to handle your own luggage.

OR, find a hotel that is close to an Alilaguna stop and ride the alilaguna from the airport to the hotel. https://europeforvisitors.com/venice/directions/index-alilaguna.htm

Or find a hotel with a dock and take a private water taxi for about 100E.

Venice, more than any other place I have visited, requires you to really think about the amount of luggage you will bring. Even if you stay at one of the hotels that can be accessed from Piazzale Roma, there will be some handling of your bags. Try to only bring what you can handle yourselves - that can be different for each person, rolling suitcases, backpacks, etc. Really think and plan out your luggage, and you'll have a much easier trip.

As for transport from Venice to Rome - I would never consider flying. Definitely take the train. There again, being able to handle your luggage is a must, but it's not that hard, and you have the advantage of going through lovely countryside and transport city centre - to - city centre, rather than having to find your way to and from VCE and FCO.

I have two thoughts:

I'd probably opt to take the high-speed train if traveling between Rome and Venice. By the time you add up the need to be at the airport well in advance, and the travel time from each city to the airport and vice-versa, the train doesn't really take much more time and is more pleasant. It also ends up at the train station that is adjacent to Piazzale Roma, so you're already IN Venice.

If you want to fly and you DON'T want to stay on Piazzale Roma -- which is definitely not what most people think of when they think of Venice -- I can highly recommend the Sina Palace Hotel. It has an Alilaguna stop just yards from the door of the hotel, so you can board the boat at the airport and get off just steps from hotel. There is a fairly long walk from airport baggage claim to the Alilaguna dock, but it is smooth, even walking and even some of it is moving walkways. Also, with Alilaguna there is no problem about having luggage onboard and they will help a bit with getting it on/off.

Sina Palace is a lovely hotel in a former Palazzo and it's right on the Grand Canal, about halfway between Rialto bridge and St. Marks. There is also a vaporetto stop next to Alilaguna stop, so getting around couldn't be easier.

Thanks to all.

First unfortunately as one poster replied, I can not rethink my luggage, because Venice will only be the first stop of a 2 week trip first in Venice, then on to Rome for a few days then a cruise out of Rome, then some days in Athens.

I will look into the Alleguina for hotels that have a stop nearby . or perhaps splurge for a private water taxi

If I do take the train from Venice to Rome( rather than fly) how long is the trip and again how many bags can you bring on the train?

I just returned home from Venice yesterday. We left from Venice on a week long cruise but spent a few days prior and after in Venice. I absolutely loved Venice (better than any of the cruise ports). We stayed at the AC Venezia by Marriott. I can not say enough good things about this hotel. It was perfect for us. We used Shuttle direct to drop us from airport to door of hotel and same on the return (no luggage dragging at all). It was safe, quiet, and comfortable. It is brand new and had all of the efficiencies that we could ask for (a bar, comfortable outdoor secluded seating, wifi, ice cold AC). We watched as people dragged their luggage all over Venice, and were thankful that was not us, no dragging involved. The hotel is within walk-able distance of all of Venice. I was with my 75 year old parents and we walked to San Marco and back on two different occasions, as well as purchased a day pass on the public Vaporetto two other days. I absolutely would recommend this hotel (although maybe more Americanized than some of the traditional hotels-since its owned by Marriott. If your looking for more traditional this may not be the place for you), and if I was ever to return to Venice (which I certainly hope to some day) would definitely plan on staying there again.

Thanks to all.

First unfortunately as one poster replied, I can not rethink my luggage, because Venice will only be the first stop of a 2 week trip first in Venice, then on to Rome for a few days then a cruise out of Rome, then some days in Athens.

I will look into the Alleguina for hotels that have a stop nearby . or perhaps splurge for a private water taxi

If I do take the train from Venice to Rome( rather than fly) how long is the trip and again how many bags can you bring on the train?

Well, I spent 6 weeks in Europe this past winter with this bag: https://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/mother-lode-tls-weekender-convertible/143101 and a tote - and with a good amount of dressy clothing - so it can be done. But I'm not even talking about how much luggage you bring, but what luggage - bringing luggage that you can easily handle. It can mean making the carry-on a backpack (and don't dismiss this outright, backpacks can be quite comfortable if you get the right one), it can mean having a carry-on that can ride piggy-back on your checked rolling bag... there are endless configurations of luggage out there, and the key is finding the combo that makes your life easier.

As for the train, the Trenitalia site is showing the journey as being 3:45 long; as for luggage, you can bring as much as you can handle - no restrictions other than your capacity for lugging it around.

Well, I spent 6 weeks in Europe this past winter with this bag: https://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/mother-lode-tls-weekender-convertible/143101 and a tote - and with a good amount of dressy clothing - so it can be done. But I'm not even talking about how much luggage you bring, but what luggage - bringing luggage that you can easily handle. It can mean making the carry-on a backpack (and don't dismiss this outright, backpacks can be quite comfortable if you get the right one), it can mean having a carry-on that can ride piggy-back on your checked rolling bag... there are endless configurations of luggage out there, and the key is finding the combo that makes your life easier.

I have to agree with this. Packing light is as much about mindset as anything else. I've cruised and spent time pre- and post-cruise on my own for up to three weeks with one very lightweight wheeled 24" narrow duffle/suitcase (ideal for narrow train aisles) and one backpack-type carry-on.

Backpacks really are a good idea for Venice as they leave your hands free for your other piece of luggage (and to hold onto something if necessary) when getting on and off boats.

we have stayed at 2 Venice hotels pre cruise

Hotel Santa Chiara on P Roma

can take airport bus to P Roma and walk over road to it-no steps-cheap transport and near people mover to transport to pier

not near St Marks but very near Vaparetto start point to go down Grand Canal

some of the rooms overlook a side canal as does small hotel bar

Hotel Molino Stucky-part of Hilton group

large hotel but has a charm as converted from warehouse buildings

it has its own water taxi which will drop you off at St Marks across the Guidecca canal and cruise ships pass by so close you can almost touch them

its on Alilaguna line connecting airport hotel and cruise port

for more money you can splash out on private water taxi and driver will take care of your luggage[at the price they need to!]

Thanks to all.

I'm disembarking a cruise in Venice in Oct and flying out of Rome. I did the sums in terms of time and money and the train is better for the following reasons:

1. VCE to FCO by air will take longer than taking the train. The train, as someone noted, is 3:45 duration and is an express service from St Lucia to Termini. So it's centre to centre. You don't contend with airport transfers, waiting time, security, flying time etc.

2. The train is more comfortable and cheaper. A first class ticket cost me $100 AUD and I can bring as much baggage as I want. Flying was more expensive for the ticket alone, not to mention when I factored in my extra luggage I'd be paying. Trenitalia is the place to book.

3. The train has many times to choose from. There's plenty of daily services, though check the type of train they put on the routes. Some are nicer than others, but all are Express.

Would never consider flying that route.

• 2 weeks later...

Another vote for the Hilton on Giudecca.

We stayed there several years ago. We used the Aliguna boats to get us from the airport to the hotel, and then the hotel to the cruise port (we were heading out on a cruise after a few nights in Venice), and found it all very easy to use.

We each had a rolling suitcase and a backpack (which was our carry-on).

We stayed at Hotel Olimpia in Venice pre-cruise. We took the airport bus into P Roma and it was a very short walk from there. Also a short walk to the people mover to the pier.

Olimpi is a wonderful hotel and brings more Venice feel than AC Marriott.

But you still need to go over TWO small bridges

(You can see the youtibe video of the path you will have to take)

Mestre Station hotels especially Plaza have their own advantages too

Crown Plaza offers both airport pickup and Cruise port drop off.

Olimpi is a wonderful hotel and brings more Venice feel than AC Marriott.

But you still need to go over TWO small bridges

(You can see the youtibe video of the path you will have to take)

Mestre Station hotels especially Plaza have their own advantages too

Crown Plaza offers both airport pickup and Cruise port drop off.

I remember one bridge. Don't know why I don't remember a second one or how we avoided it.

I wouldn't argue in favor of flying from Venice to Rome instead of taking the train, but I can speak from experience and say that it isn't a bad option. Last year I took a cruise that ended in Venice. I was a bit worried about dragging my heavy suitcase to the train station at either Sta. Lucia or Mestre. In the end, I got a one way plane ticket on Alitalia for about $100. I took an enjoyable ship's excursion to Murano and Burano which included a transfer to the airport. I arranged for a limo pickup from FCO to the city center which cost about $50. Okay, you will all say that it was too expensive and time consuming, but as an older person traveling alone, it worked out fine for me.

If you are staying somewhere on the water, then no worries take a water taxi...and I would also take the high speed train from Venice to Rome, and we took a water taxi to the train station.....We did not drag any bags at any time!!