I know there's 1000 questions on what to do in civitavecchia...but

jean87510

My husband and I are arriving in civitavecchia from naples on November 4 which is a Sunday around 1245. We will check into our Airbnb then were going to explore. We are doing a few days in Italy pre cruise. Our cruise leaves on Monday the 5th. Based on research, my choices here are tarquinia, wandering around port area, taking train to santa marinella. A scheduled tour is out both on the 4th and 5th based on timing. My question is this. If we left civitavecchia at around 2-230 and went to Rome by train, would this give us plenty of time to go to st peter basilica and to castle sant angelo before they close? We were going to find somewhere recommended to eat near the Vatican area then head back to port around 930pm. Tia

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

If we left civitavecchia at around 2-230 and went to Rome by train, would this give us plenty of time to go to st peter basilica and to castle sant angelo before they close? We were going to find somewhere recommended to eat near the Vatican area then head back to port around 930pm.

I would not call it "plenty of time" but just doable. You might make it to St. Peter's around 4 pm, stand in line for a while, visit it, walk to Sant Angelo and have some time left before they close at 7.30.

3 1/2 hours - not a lot of time for indepth visits to these two major places, but all right if this is your chance.

We arrive at 1245 and our bnb is one block from train station. If all goes well I would like that 158 train but our bnb host does not live on property so I am preparing for the possibility it could take an hour for checkin. I figured if we got off at roma s. Pietro that would get us closer at least to st Peter's which I'm sure is just wonderful on a Sunday...[emoji849]

Book tickets for the Vatican online before you go. I was amazed at the line for those who didn't while we just walked right in to redeem our voucher for tickets.
We were already at Vatican. We were unable to go to the basilica due to time constraints at that time and Sant angelo. I wanted to see if I had time to visit at least one or both of these sites in 3-4 hours.

Greetings jean87510. Please keep in mind that November is considered wintertime and St. Peter's hours are 7am - 6:30pm (07.00 - 18.30). You might have to make some adjustments to your excursion. In any event good luck and hope to see you on Nov 5th.