Italy in December?

cleobella

I am trying to decide the best cruise for us next December. I have found a 7 day cruise that leaves from Rome and includes Naple Livorno and Messina. I think it will be cold but maybe not snowy and freezing? I am assuming attractions will be open and much quieter and the hristmas market in Rome may be nice. Does anyone know if it's a reasonable idea to go there un December?

Sent from my SM-G960W using Forums mobile app

I am trying to decide the best cruise for us next December. I have found a 7 day cruise that leaves from Rome and includes Naple Livorno and Messina. I think it will be cold but maybe not snowy and freezing? I am assuming attractions will be open and much quieter and the hristmas market in Rome may be nice. Does anyone know if it's a reasonable idea to go there un December?

I have visitedRome a number of times in December and yes, of course museums etc are open. Very unlikely that it will snow in that part of the world, but can be rainy. It shouldn’t be too old, around 12-18c during the day. It gets dark about 18.00. You can also have bright, sunny days, so be prepared for changeable weather.

Personally, the weather doesn’t particularly,y bother me, so if it was what I wanted to do, I’d book it. Places will be a lot less crowded than during the summer months, which is a bonus.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I've been to Rome in December a couple of times, for a week each. It's very unlikely that it would be cold enough to snow or to freeze. However, it can be rainy and cool. One visit I had extremely bad weather and it rained most days -- very dreary. But it's a bit unusual to have such prolonged rain.

The number of tourists in the city are way down at that time of year, which is one reason I go then. Museums are blissfully uncrowded, with exception of the Vatican, which is always busy -- however, it definitely is much LESS busy than summer.

Attractions are all open but they do tend to have shorter hours. Also, sometimes museums will take advantage of that down time by doing some maintenance or moving -- so a few rooms might be closed or off limits.

55e54d19d62b00ec5a51f2e441f52428.jpg

It doesn’t happen often, but it happens: Alberobello in the snow.

And Sicily in the snow:

fab1719a20c8a6d4fbc974c60c96bc24.jpg

Edited by lisiamc

If grey skies and rain would spoil your trip then it might not be such a good idea. I go for the cruise, the experience and just a vacation. I would consider it - but our autumn cruise is sort of fixed around our wedding anniversary which is early November.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums