Helpo with Messina/Taormina

Giantfan13

We are arriving in Messina off the MSC Sinfonia on Sunday Dec 2 from 9-6. I have done a search on this forum and it seems that going to Taormina is the best thing to do here.

We have checked our cruise line excursions and they offer a tour of Taormina for about $70 and like a shuttle there to do your own thing from about $50.

A couple of questions. We are seniors but fairly mobile, just my DW does get car sick on windy mountain roads. Would that be a probably on a trip like this?

Where the ship's shuttle lets people off, is it hard to get around to most of the main sites from here, like is the area compact enough to just walk around and see most things?

I am an avid photographer and would always prefer to do things on my own as I sometimes like to stay at a spot to try and secure some good pix rather than be told when to get back on a bus, but might a tour be better that trekking yourself?

Is being there on a Sunday any sort of problem?

I have also checked Trip Advisor, which lists several decent enough tours, but there is just the 2 of us, our roll call is completely dead and we just cannot afford a tour just for the two of us. We would love to join a tour but we don't see how at this point.

So the cruise line thing seems the best option??

Cheers

Len

Taormina is a small, compact town. The tour buses (whether you are on a tour or doing "on your own" all drop off at a garage just outside one of the main gates of the town. From there, you walk. It's easy to walk from one end of the walled town to the other, and back. It is hilly though, so there are ups and downs and if you go off the main track there are occasional steps.

We didn't come from Messina but from Giardini Naxos, which is much closer. Nevertheless the approach to Taormina is similar -- the roads definitely are curvy and climbing. I don't get carsick, so perhaps someone else would be better able to give you info in that regard!

Also, I was there on a Sunday -- no problem! Almost all shops I noticed were open, as well as plenty of restaurants, etc.

Taormina is definitely one of the places I would go with an "On Your Own" excursion from the cruise line. You do not need a guide once there, for sure. I did Royal Caribbean's version of the "Taormina On Your Own" excursion on my last Med Cruise. It was actually my second time there. The bus took is to the parking garage mentioned in the previous post and then the guide who was on the bus actually walked us all from the bus up into the village to a central meeting spot. We were told to be back at the same location in 4 hours (or whatever duration it was (I forget)). The guide met us there at the end of the day and took us back to the bus parking building. There is an elevator in the parking garage to get you up to and down from the street level. Once on street level it is only a slight uphill walk to get into the village -- maybe 75-100 yards in distance.

Once inside the entrance gate of the village itself, there really is just an "L" shaped couple of streets to navigate as you meander about taking your pictures, shopping, gelato-ing, relaxing, etc. At the far other end of the "L" is the Greek Amphitheatre, which you will definitely want to go inside and check out. The total walk of the "L" is probably less than a mile. You can walk it in 15-30 minutes, so take your time. There are a few side streets you can venture down and look if you like. But I didn't really find anything I needed to see again.

I really don't recall it being a windy road to get there. Perhaps a little bit as you make the final approach into Taormina. But most of the trip from Messina is just coastal highway.

There are a few side streets you can venture down and look if you like. But I didn't really find anything I needed to see again.

I found two Roman mosaics on one side of the main street of Corso Umberto, and some Roman substructures (I had to really look for them) on the other side -- marked as Naumachia on maps. Also there is a small Roman odeon (like a tiny theatre) tucked in behind a couple of buildings near the Tourist Info building.

For the OP, here's a link to a site with a small map that has the highlights marked, and some descriptions:

https://www.planetware.com/tourist-attractions-/taormina-i-si-ta.htm

I´ve been to Taormina last week. The center is easy to explore as it´s basically just the one street.

If you want to visit the Greek theater the entry fee is 10 Euro. Great place and great views from there.

At the cathedral place look for Da Cristina (go down from the fountain, there´s a sign and then go down the tiny street). You have to pick a number at the entrance and wait to be called. Great arrancini, pizza and focaccia.

steamboats

I found two Roman mosaics on one side of the main street of Corso Umberto, and some Roman substructures (I had to really look for them) on the other side -- marked as Naumachia on maps. Also there is a small Roman odeon (like a tiny theatre) tucked in behind a couple of buildings near the Tourist Info building.

For the OP, here's a link to a site with a small map that has the highlights marked, and some descriptions:

https://www.planetware.com/tourist-attractions-/taormina-i-si-ta.htm

Great site and it just makes us want to go there that much more. Thanks for the link.

Cheers

Len

I´ve been to Taormina last week. The center is easy to explore as it´s basically just the one street.

If you want to visit the Greek theater the entry fee is 10 Euro. Great place and great views from there.

At the cathedral place look for Da Cristina (go down from the fountain, there´s a sign and then go down the tiny street). You have to pick a number at the entrance and wait to be called. Great arrancini, pizza and focaccia.

steamboats

Funny though, I come from NYC where you have, maybe, the best pizza in the world. I was stationed in Germany during my time in the Air Force and did several trips to Italy. Just couldn't wait to taste 'real Italian' pizza. It was good, but nothing like good NY pizza. But hey, we are always open to keep trying. We LOVE pizza. Your idea sounds great. As I said, we will be there very early Dec. Do you think we will still need to take a number then?

Cheers

Len

Funny though, I come from NYC where you have, maybe, the best pizza in the world. I was stationed in Germany during my time in the Air Force and did several trips to Italy. Just couldn't wait to taste 'real Italian' pizza. It was good, but nothing like good NY pizza. But hey, we are always open to keep trying. We LOVE pizza. Your idea sounds great. As I said, we will be there very early Dec. Do you think we will still need to take a number then?

Sorry that I have to disagree regarding NY pizza :')! That´s nothing compared to a real Italian pizza.

I think you still have to take a number... lots of locals are getting their lunch there too. Try the arrancini!

steamboats