Train Civitavecchia to Roma Termini Arrival/Departure Platforms Distance

raks

I am planning on catching the train directly from Civitavecchia port to Venice post cruise.

I think I have a good handle on buying tickets, which trains etc thanks to this amazing resource referenced elsewhere on this forum http://www.seat61.com/Italy-trains.htm and from reading through all the train related threads.

I know about the steps at Civitavecchia station and I think I know how to get to the station from the ship etc.

I know we can buy a regional ticket to Rome on the spot.

My other option is to buy the ticket in one go online inclusive of a fast train to Rome and then fast train to Venice. (I will pre purchase the ticket Rome to Venice online anyway)

The thing I need clarification on is,even after lots of research, the arrival platforms at Roma Termini from Civitavecchia

Option 1 If we catch the regional train to Rome I understand they come in a distance from where the Frecciarossa trains depart for Venice?

Can someone tell me roughly how far this is, how much time do I need to allow without rushing madly?

Is it well signposted, how will we know where to go as I believe the platform number for departure to Venice will not be on our pre purchased ticket?

If anyone has done this recently or has knowledge on platform information, or where I could find this, I would really appreciate it. ( I even tried to look at departure and arrival information online for Rome train station, but I could not make head nor tail of it.)

Option 2 If we catch the fast train from Civitavecchia eg a Frecciabianca, do these trains come in closer to where the Frecciarossa to Venice would leave from? (if this is the case I would be happy to pay a bit more and have less stress between train changes, keep things simple is my goal).

I guess you can tell I am an over planner, but I like to know all available information, it helps me stave off panic in an unknown situation, lol.

Any input appreciated, and if I have made some incorrect assumptions please feel free to correct me

Thank you

Therefore, if you take a Frecce train from Civitavecchia you will arrive to the main trackhead at Termini, close to your departure for Venice.

If you give me the specific trains you are looking at I can tell you the planned track for each but note that plans change due to track conditions and traffic. They won't change so much that a Civitavecchia regional will come in at the main trackhead nor that a Frecce would come in on the regional tracks (not possible anyway as they require different equipment).

When you arrive at Termini you'll see an arrival and departures board similar to one at any train station. All you need to know is the number of your train and the planned departure time to easily find it on the board.

Regional trains to/from Civitavecchia use tracks 25 - 29 at Rome Termini, which are located three blocks from the main trackhead (about a third of a mile walking distance).

Frecce trains use the main trackhead, tracks 1 - 24.

You can see the layout on Termini's web site here: https://www.romatermini.com/it/map/

Is the walk from track 25-29 all inside the terminal, or do you actually have to go outside to do the walk?

If you are willing to spend the extra money and accept the limited time frames required for the Frecce from Civitavecchia, I think it will greatly enhance and ease your trip.

For the additional 10 euro train fare vs. the regional from Civitavecchia you'll get an assigned seat. On the regional there's a good chance you'll stand for all or part of the trip.

You'll also have a direct train with less fear of petty crime (pickpockets, luggage theft) because there's no exit strategy for them and because tickets are more thoroughly checked.

There will also be more room for your luggage.

Therefore, if you take a Frecce train from Civitavecchia you will arrive to the main trackhead at Termini, close to your departure for Venice.

If you give me the specific trains you are looking at I can tell you the planned track for each but note that plans change due to track conditions and traffic. They won't change so much that a Civitavecchia regional will come in at the main trackhead nor that a Frecce would come in on the regional tracks (not possible anyway as they require different equipment).

When you arrive at Termini you'll see an arrival and departures board similar to one at any train station. All you need to know is the number of your train and the planned departure time to easily find it on the board.

Thank you! That is exactly the information I was looking for, it does seem that if easiest is my goal, the fast train from Civitavecchia will tick that box. And any additional costs will be saved by arriving into Venice by train as apposed to arriving at the airport and having to transfer from train station as opposed to the airport.

Doing a dummy booking (too early to book for our dates yet)

the regional train #12233 departs Civ 8:59am arrives Rome 10:18am

Frecciabianca train 8601 departs Civ at 9:16am arrives Rome 10:03

Both of those options link up with Frecciaross 9419 departing Rome 10.35am

I assume 30 minutes is enough time for transfer if using the fast train for both trips.

Edited by raks

Regional #12233 is planned to arrive to track 25.

Frecce 8601 is planned to arrive to track 22.

Frecce 9416 is planned to depart from track 10.

Again, the actual tracks can change but the regional will always arrive to one of the auxiliary tracks while the Frecces will always arrive to the main tracks.

You've built in plenty of time for the transfer but Hank raises a good point about the timeliness of the regional trains. The Frecces will run truer to schedule than the regionals.

Thank you again, much appreciated.

Knowing that the Frecce trains arrive nearer to our next trains departure location probably seals the deal for me.

And I had already thought about the possibility of the 1st train being late..... always a roll of the dice, good to know that the Frecce trains are a bit more reliable at least :)