Picture-A-Week 2018 - Week 38

pierces

Pictures taken between Monday, September 17 and Sunday, September 23.

Rules: See above

That's it. This isn't a contest. All photos taken this week are welcome (not just cruising).

Prizes will not be awarded. Discovering the joy of photography is the prize.

The idea is to get folks out using their cameras for more than vacations and toddler birthdays.

Post one. Post many. Up to you.

Have fun with your camera and share your fun with others

Rogue Ales has a long history of distinctive beers and occasionally, outrageous ones. The iconic Dead Guy Ale has been joined by a list of milestones like Voodoo Maple Bacon Donut, Yellow Snow, Hot Sriracha Stout and now, whatever the hell this is. The New Crustacean Barleywineish Imperial IPA Sorta ale is well crafted with an odd mix of good strong flavors, hops and above average alcohol content. The name seems to have been coined using Scrabble tiles and a lucky toss, but actually describes it pretty well. It’s been quite a few years since I gave up on color-inside-the-lines beers and dipped my toes into the widening world of craft beer. Face it. Beer isn’t just for breakfast anymore.

By Any Other Name

p3084989876-5.jpg

Dave

A few small things, some of which are mighty intimidating!

Baby basilisk lizard - not threatening or intimidating:

original.jpg

A paper wasp inspecting the nest - very intimidating:

original.jpg

Uh...I think he is looking at me. Yeah, he's definitely looking at me. Uh oh, his wings are spooling up...ah, yeah - RUN AWAY! RETREAT!:

original.jpg

About 100 feet later, when I stopped running, with the aggressive and angry colorful little insect following right behind, I could finally take a breather. When doing extreme closeup photography, be very aware of how your subject is responding to the big fat lens getting closer and closer! ;)

I went back to the non-threatening species with this green iguana:

original.jpg

Or this baby alligator - he'll eventually become an intimidating creature, but still in the 'cute' phase when they're only a few feet long:

original.jpg

Inquisitive magpie. The plate (with a few leftover fries) was still sitting on my table when it landed. Clearly not shy, it kept eyeing me (and the fries) whilst I calmly reached into my handbag for the camera and took a few shots. Only a very deliberate moving of the large plate made him back-off and fly away.

44240945134_8e3949ac60_b.jpg

Later I saw him again checking out a deserted coffee cup - see below

43147739220_b979d8e91e_b.jpg

44048176785_98a5661ae9_b.jpg

44240901824_3032436a10_b.jpg

44960497781_b4e7fc6e14_b.jpg