8-30-18 Thursday Weigh-In...Last Weigh-In Of August

Belle

Happy birthday, Belle!

Does anybody have mental strategies for avoiding too much weight gain during a cruise? We will be doing a back to back soon, and I saw one comment that a lady would remind herself during week one that she could avoid having to "try" everything, because she could get to it the following week.

I try to plan ahead. If having dinner in the main dining room, I check the menu out that morning (or the night before) to see if there is something I want to “splurge”. If so, then I try to really eat on target during the day. At breakfast and lunch, I basically stick to my “low carb” eating and have no troubles with so many options. If I do “splurge” on a carb item, I only allow myself no more than “half” of what I would like. (Usually “less than half” satisfies me.)

I have no desire to attempt to eat right on a cruise. I behave 50 weeks a year. Those two weeks are about enjoying myself. That said, I do walk as much as possible in port and take stairs most of the time onboard.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm so tired from dancing. Isn't that "guy" in the band so cute?

Diana and Jan your Birthday will be here soon. Thank you both for the

beautiful necklace in my birth stone. (our pretend party, I can pretend I got a present):D

Dancing is great fun .. and you're right, he is cute. Diana and I are glad that you like the necklace with the Sapphire we spent a lot of virtual time picking it out!!

I leave on Friday for our cruise .... I plan to eat whatever I want, but I also plan to do a lot of walking ... the last few cruises I didn't gain any weight, so hope this one is the same. Jan

Belle,

I'm glad you liked your jewelry (even pretend jewelry).

Jan, great you're cruise is happening soon. Know you'll have a great time.

Etta, I have a few things I do to control weight gain on cruises. I don't eat bread and butter. It's so easy to get out of control with it, especially if you sit people and chat, before you know it you've eaten 3 rolls and 6 pats of butter.

Also when at the buffet I look at all the food first then decide on say 3 things I want, eat that, then I can always go back for more. Usually I don't go back for more or maybe have just a little something else.

I also workout everyday. Might only be 30 minutes on a bike or treadmill but it's better than nothing. In ports we try to walk or do something like swimming or snorkeling.

My .02.

Diana

Thank you for the tips ref weight gain while cruising ☺

I cruise Sept 30. I am really working to get back into my swimsuit, etc, splurged and joined wt watchers for this month, $33 for the month, with no obligation to continue after my trip. I just needed the pressure of knowing somebody would weigh me. It has helped so far. Am hoping i will have formed some new habits before the cruise. I can't completely understand why i eat far too much when cruising, maybe the fun of trying so many foods.

Still dancing. Do you think I'll at least lose a pound?

DIANA....HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Here's your jewelry Jan and I got you. Enjoy. Have a great day!

Etta.. I like Jan haven't gained on the last few years on cruises. Ate desserts too.Soft ice cream also. cup no cone.

You walk more then normal then every day. Front to back on the ship and ports. Exercise walking.

Portions are small in mdr and in the buffet take small portions. Eat salads. I try not to eat much bread. Really

eat everything but less of it. I don't eat breakfast often on the ship (home too) if I do it's fruit. First meal

mostly is lunch. Sometimes if lunch is late might just have snack at night. I just take it ONE day at a time.

So you can do it and come home without a gain. Forgot I do have some drinks to but not everyday. I tend to eat

less on longer cruises than short ones. Have a 45 day coming up. Jan, Diana and Ski gave you good tips too.

Mike and Gorgie gave tips but of an other kind. They have fun and get back on track when they come home. What ever you do..ENJOY! If do gain just get back on track when you come home.

GEE look at me..I wrote a book!:eek:

Happy Birthday to all the September birthdays!

My weight was still up on Friday:mad:, so hoping for a better weight on Thursday.

I had a very nice visit with my Dad. He's preparing for a possible gastric sleeve surgery, so we tried to have most meals fit his diet as much as possible (which probably helped me too). One thing he has to do is eat much more slowly, chewing each bite 20 times when possible. I've been trying this to support him since it's one area he's struggling with and trying to see how I can offer ideas to help. It does help me to sense when I've had enough to eat sooner (vs. just eating because it's there/tastes good).

Daughter chose an ice cream cake for her dessert, but the calories were surprisingly not too bad - especially for only 1/2 a slice;);)

I have some type of tendon issue in my shin/top of foot. Between it and a mild case of the flu Sunday and severe storms yesterday I needed to skip my 6 mile run, but the rest day helped to ease the foot pain. 2.25 miles this morning - not too much of a stress.

I don't do WW, but we do belong to a gym and pay for a personal trainer. I used to be in the same camp of not wanting to pay for losing weight, but I realized a couple things:

-it's not happening on my own, I need the accountability

-I can pay now for help in losing the weight or I can pay later in health care issues

Stay strong everyone:)

Diana Have a good Birthday Day!

Pacruise Hope your foot is better. Nice you could help your father.

Etta I bet you will do well. You'll be aware. You might eat more than you want but

not as much as you might of. Don't worry. Enjoy!

I so know Diana! I have modified my diet. It is so slow.

But my friend keeps saying to me..."you put it on one pound at a time, now you have to take it off one pound at a time." She's so right!

I made such progress not working out. Now that I am it just feels like it is coming off so slowly.

Oh well back on the mill and next week should be better.

Thanks again for the encouragement!

BJ

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Forums mobile app

BJ, your friend is right. We didn't gain it all at once, it won't come off all at once (it just seems so much easier to gain:()

The plateau could be a few things despite (or even because of) working out:

-as we lose (and have less body mass) our bodies use less energy (calories). It was very discouraging to see my calorie limits adjust down on MFP when I was losing weight, but once I thought about the science it made sense.

-if you are building muscle in your workouts your weight may stay the same (or even increase) but your size should go down. Picture 1# of marshmallows vs. 1# of apple (as an example) - same weight, but the more dense takes less space. When I was at my lowest 3 years ago I was still 20# heavier than high school and 10# heavier than college, but smaller dress size and generally looked better.

-sometimes our bodies just won't budge, then all of a sudden start moving again:rolleyes:

Don't get too discouraged. Try to embrace the things that are working (size, energy level, whatever works for you) and the weight will take care of itself.

BJ, your friend is right. We didn't gain it all at once, it won't come off all at once (it just seems so much easier to gain:()

The plateau could be a few things despite (or even because of) working out:

-as we lose (and have less body mass) our bodies use less energy (calories). It was very discouraging to see my calorie limits adjust down on MFP when I was losing weight, but once I thought about the science it made sense.

-if you are building muscle in your workouts your weight may stay the same (or even increase) but your size should go down. Picture 1# of marshmallows vs. 1# of apple (as an example) - same weight, but the more dense takes less space. When I was at my lowest 3 years ago I was still 20# heavier than high school and 10# heavier than college, but smaller dress size and generally looked better.

-sometimes our bodies just won't budge, then all of a sudden start moving again:rolleyes:

Don't get too discouraged. Try to embrace the things that are working (size, energy level, whatever works for you) and the weight will take care of itself.

Thanks so much for the encouragement. I am feeling better. So that is a great positive.

I just keep getting on the mill and lifting those weights. Taking it one day at a time. [emoji3]

Sent from my SM-T820 using Forums mobile app