Iona Deck Plans

h3rjp

I'm expecting the 'street food' to be included. I think they just need extra space to feed everyone. Also I don't think anyone would pay extra for fish and chips and burgers.

There is an extra charge fish and chips place on the pool deck of Independence of the Seas now, so they may well rightly think people are foolish enough to pay extra for it!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Now here’s a conundrum for any mathematicians on here.

Much has been said about the vast passenger capacity of Iona, but most cabins allow family occupancy and cruises outside the school holidays, such as the maiden, are (I would think) likely to have an average of only 2 occupants per cabin (some will be single occupancy and a small number will be 3 or 4 people).

So, on a cruise that isn’t in school holidays, how many passengers do people think will be on Iona in comparison to (smaller) Britannia in the summer school holidays? We have done the latter a number of times and, aside from the Glasshouse, we’ve never had an issue with space. By contrast, Aurora (our favourite ship) can feel crowded inside on sea days.

I will see for myself next May, but wondered if anyone has got their head around this?

You obviously have the ‘deluxe’ version as, like Andrew, I was only sent the abbreviated 24 page version. I wonder how they determine who gets which version?

That’s really odd, it came addressed to my daughter and she has only been on one cruise!

That’s really odd, it came addressed to my daughter and she has only been on one cruise!

I guess it would make sense to send the expensive version to those who they feel may need more convincing and just the cheap version to those of us who book regularly (I had already booked 2 summer 2020 Cruises before I even received it) - but I suspect that I am over thinking this ;)

I guess it would make sense to send the expensive version to those who they feel may need more convincing and just the cheap version to those of us who book regularly (I had already booked 2 summer 2020 Cruises before I even received it) - but I suspect that I am over thinking this ;)

I suspect so. I have not seen a brochure and we have 3 waiting for the Monday after next. Not going on Iona. Yet.

Well I don’t know where I fit I to this, as I’ve not even received a brochure (previous cruises and another booked for Dec 2019)! I’d settle for either version. [emoji3]

Will keep checking the post. Maybe they don’t think I need any convincing to book another cruise.... and they’re probably right. [emoji846]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was looking to book one of the new conservatory mini suites until I saw the deck plans. I was very disappointed at the positions of These quite expensive cabins. Why would anyone want a balcony on prom deck ? I really can't get my head around that. The other position of these cabins is deck 9 and they a recall above the public areas of deck 8. Needless to say I am holding back on booking

Sent from my SM-P550 using Forums mobile app

Much has been said about the vast passenger capacity of Iona, but most cabins allow family occupancy and cruises outside the school holidays, such as the maiden, are (I would think) likely to have an average of only 2 occupants per cabin (some will be single occupancy and a small number will be 3 or 4 people).

So, on a cruise that isn’t in school holidays, how many passengers do people think will be on Iona in comparison to (smaller) Britannia in the summer school holidays? We have done the latter a number of times and, aside from the Glasshouse, we’ve never had an issue with space. By contrast, Aurora (our favourite ship) can feel crowded inside on sea days.

I will see for myself next May, but wondered if anyone has got their head around this?

I have found that the smaller ships are often more crowded.

Fewer venues mean more people in the same place at the same time. Larger ship, more venues, fewer people in one place at the same time.

(I think we have agreed on this point in "another place" where I have different user name).

Hi Dai, Which cruises are you going on on Oriana this year?

Cheers.

Hi Elaine

We have one in 4 weeks time to Venice. 19 nights. 3/4 new ports. Are you going on Oriana?

Not sure if this will help but for what it is worth:

Britannia -

143.000 tons, 330m long x 38m beam, Passenger Capacity 3611 - 4372

Iona -

184,000 tons, 334m long x 42m beam, Passenger Capacity 5200 - ???? (interesting P&O have not published the maximum capacity?. Aida give the capacity of Nova as being 5000 - 6600).

Maybe worth noting that Iona is only 4m longer and 4m wider than Britannia. Britannia has 17 decks, Iona 19.

Oasis of the Seas -

225,000 tons, 360m long x 47m beam, Passenger Capacity 5400 - 6400.

The lower capacity is based on double occupancy. Iona is 41,000 tons bigger than Britannia and at double occupancy carries 1589 more pax than Britannia. Oasis of the Seas is 41,000 tons bigger than Iona and at double occupancy carries 200 more pax than Iona.

By the way, stats are courtesy of Shipparade.

As I have said before, numbers are not everything - passenger flow plays its part too. So - make of that what you will.

I must say that when I spent two weeks on Azura (in the Caribbean), she felt far more crowded - everywhere - than Oriana or Aurora ever have to me.

Thanks Andrew. I guess we will only really know when we are on her. If she feels crowded during the Maiden, with very few kids on board (so comparatively few upper berths deployed) then we won't consider cruising on her when the kids are off school!

• 3 weeks later...
Not sure if this will help but for what it is worth:

Britannia -

143.000 tons, 330m long x 38m beam, Passenger Capacity 3611 - 4372

Iona -

184,000 tons, 334m long x 42m beam, Passenger Capacity 5200 - ???? (interesting P&O have not published the maximum capacity?. Aida give the capacity of Nova as being 5000 - 6600).

Maybe worth noting that Iona is only 4m longer and 4m wider than Britannia. Britannia has 17 decks, Iona 19.

Oasis of the Seas -

225,000 tons, 360m long x 47m beam, Passenger Capacity 5400 - 6400.

The lower capacity is based on double occupancy. Iona is 41,000 tons bigger than Britannia and at double occupancy carries 1589 more pax than Britannia. Oasis of the Seas is 41,000 tons bigger than Iona and at double occupancy carries 200 more pax than Iona.

By the way, stats are courtesy of Shipparade.

As I have said before, numbers are not everything - passenger flow plays its part too. So - make of that what you will.

I must say that when I spent two weeks on Azura (in the Caribbean), she felt far more crowded - everywhere - than Oriana or Aurora ever have to me.

The Oasis class have bigger cabin and suites. Iona will perhaps have more space in public rooms per GRT. The Oasis class have different neighbourhoods which spread passengers around the ship very well. The Oasis class spend there time in warm waters where passenger spend time on the open decks. Iona in Norway will mean more passenger inside. Freedom dining might help on Iona as not all passenger will want a pre dinner drink at the same time. A lot depends on how well Iona is designed. Based on Britannia particularly with lifts and staircases we shall see. I will enjoy G004 I am sure.

Best wishes, Stephen.

For those of us who P&O have deemed not worthy of any sort of brochure about Iona, is there anywhere on the web that shows cabin sizes and layouts? Would like to compare deluxe balcony and conservatory mini suite before committing to a booking. From the deck plans it looks like the mini suites are long and narrow.

If you haven't already seen it, go here: https://www.pocruises.com/cruise-ships/iona/. Olly Smith walks through a mock-up of a Conservatory mini-suite, which also looks long & narrow. You have to scroll quite a long way down the page to find it. I haven't seen any information on the deluxe balcony cabins but I'm guessing they might also be long & narrow. The EA grade look wider on the deck plans but it is anyone's guess.