Iona - Dining Options

London-Calling

I see that it says that during the day there are dance lessons in the Limelight Club which then becomes a nightclub in the evening. Does that mean that there will be no dance area like the Crystal Room on the Britannia?

Jim.

I see that it says that during the day there are dance lessons in the Limelight Club which then becomes a nightclub in the evening. Does that mean that there will be no dance area like the Crystal Room on the Britannia?

Jim.

Yes, we thought the same.

I take it you enjoy dancing as we do, so let's hope they do plan to have a suitable dance area.

I have just been checking the deck plans for AIDAnova, Iona's half sister, and there are dozens of dining options, however most of them have a surcharge and the complimentary ones are buffet style, but I imagine Iona's MDRs will have waiter service.

Sounds to me as if unless you want Freedom Dining, then you will have to pay extra for everything. Cruising is losing its attraction for me

I thought you were not going on Iona, Jean? ;)

Anyway I I can put up with it anyone can. I do not like freedom dining. I shall go to all the other outlets after all that’s what they are there for.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I thought you were not going on Iona, Jean? ;)

Anyway I I can put up with it anyone can. I do not like freedom dining. I shall go to all the other outlets after all that’s what they are there for.

I am sure you could get to like freedom dining Dai, if, like us, you are happy to share a table you will be seated immediately, and you get to meet far more passengers than you do on club dining. Iona's freedom only might be just the push you need to realise it's not as bad as you think.

I have never waited for a table on Freedom Dining; if you are happy to share you get seated straight away. On the larger ships I have sometimes asked to dine alone if I'm tired or just don't feel like company, and been shown to a table for 2 straight away.

• 2 months later...

I tried to look to see which ones of the 16 dining options are included in the cruise and which are paid speciality restaurants, but it doesn’t appear to say. They talk about a fish restaurant and an American style diner so hopefully they are part of the cruise.

We started using Freedom dining about 5 years ago when a couple on our table turned up 3/4 hour late every evening and expected us all to wait making us late for the theatre . When we asked waiters to serve us before they arrived they reported the waiters. When I pointed out the waiters had to get ready for second sitting the lady replied “ I don’t care about them” hence asking for Freedom dining on future cruises.

I tried to look to see which ones of the 16 dining options are included in the cruise and which are paid speciality restaurants, but it doesn’t appear to say. They talk about a fish restaurant and an American style diner so hopefully they are part of the cruise.

We started using Freedom dining about 5 years ago when a couple on our table turned up 3/4 hour late every evening and expected us all to wait making us late for the theatre . When we asked waiters to serve us before they arrived they reported the waiters. When I pointed out the waiters had to get ready for second sitting the lady replied “ I don’t care about them” hence asking for Freedom dining on future cruises.

Inclusive dining options on Iona are the 4 MDRs, The Quays, Horizon Buffet and SkyDome Pizzeria & Grill.

Payable speciality restaurants are Sindhu, Epicurean, Glass House, Beach House, Keel and Cow, Olive Grove, Sundaes and Limelight Club.

Inclusive dining options on Iona are the 4 MDRs, The Quays, Horizon Buffet and SkyDome Pizzeria & Grill.

Payable speciality restaurants are Sindhu, Epicurean, Glass House, Beach House, Keel and Cow, Olive Grove, Sundaes and Limelight Club.

Thank you, that is very informative.

To be honest that sounds very good.

Out of interest how did you find out about this as we have not seen it in any information that we have received.

Oh thanks, well done for finding that out, as I tried looking and couldn’t find it.

Welcome to the new P&O folks - twice as many 'for-fee' eateries as free ones...

According to Major Tom’s figures, there appear to be 7 inclusive and 8 which carry a supplement. The 4 MDRs and buffet are undoubtably larger than any of the restaurants you pay extra for. How this equates to twice as many paid for ones is a mystery to me and my mathematical skills.

Edited by pete14
error

According to Major Tom’s figures, there appear to be 7 inclusive and 8 which carry a supplement. The 4 MDRs and buffet are undoubtably larger than any of the restaurants you pay extra for. How this equates to twice as many paid for ones is a mystery to me and my mathematical skills.

Because in my view, you count the 4 MDRs as one restaurant because they all serve the same menu.

Welcome to the new P&O folks - twice as many 'for-fee' eateries as free ones...

Think its becoming "welcome to cruising" for all cruise lines who are building new ships. The basic price of fare these days is very cheap to what it was 15-20 yrs ago that they have to make money somewhere. Many also like the choice of dining offered whether payable or not. If it was all free the price of the fare would have to increase and that isnt fair on those that by choice are happy to eat in MDR and if they were all free there would be bun fights every night for Epicurean and Sindhu.

Think its becoming "welcome to cruising" for all cruise lines who are building new ships. The basic price of fare these days is very cheap to what it was 15-20 yrs ago that they have to make money somewhere. Many also like the choice of dining offered whether payable or not. If it was all free the price of the fare would have to increase and that isnt fair on those that by choice are happy to eat in MDR and if they were all free there would be bun fights every night for Epicurean and Sindhu.

Agreed, as I see it the payable options such as Sindhu, Epicurean, Glass House, Beach House, Limelight Club and Sundaes have all been available on other P&O ships for some time now, so no change there.

The Keel and Cow and Olive Grove will be new but it's a bigger ship so no problem in having a couple more payable options imo.

You are absolutely right Major. I've been lucky enough to have been cruising for 23 years on & off and if I recall rightly, our first P&O cruise in 1997 cost us £13000 each in an outside cabin. It is indeed considerably cheaper now.

I'm just a boring old git who would prefer a ship with a main dining room, buffet (or Lido as they used to be called) and maybe one alternative restaurant :D.

That's why I will stick to Aurora & Arcadia - or another cruise line :).

Todd English was free in Queen Mary 2 at the launch of the ship. He was at the height of his fame in America at the time. Allegedly security had to attend the queue for reservations. Charges of $20 and $30 were introduced and the restaurant was half empty. Odd that.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Todd English was free in Queen Mary 2 at the launch of the ship. He was at the height of his fame in America at the time. Allegedly security had to attend the queue for reservations. Charges of $20 and $30 were introduced and the restaurant was half empty. Odd that.

Same thing happened with the Beach House on Ventura. It was originally at no extra charge and featured comfort food such as burgers, fish and chips, and sausage and mash. Queues formed every evening. Then a £5 cover charge was introduced and the queues dissappeared.

You are absolutely right Major. I've been lucky enough to have been cruising for 23 years on & off and if I recall rightly, our first P&O cruise in 1997 cost us £13000 each in an outside cabin. It is indeed considerably cheaper now.

I'm just a boring old git who would prefer a ship with a main dining room, buffet (or Lido as they used to be called) and maybe one alternative restaurant :D.

That makes (at least) two of us. It seems that an ever increasing amount of public space is being taken by extra charge venue such as restaurants.

Just a thought when we started there was the MDR and the buffet and Cafe Bordeaux.

The new ships have the MDR and the buffet and 2/3 or more restaurants for which you pay.

What have you lost..... nothing.

What have you gained.... all the other pay restaurants.

I look at this as a positive not a negative. You do not have to go to the newly introduced venues.

Same thing happened with the Beach House on Ventura. It was originally at no extra charge and featured comfort food such as burgers, fish and chips, and sausage and mash. Queues formed every evening. Then a £5 cover charge was introduced and the queues dissappeared.

Interesting. It is odd because the charge is not that much. If I remember my first P and O cruise in 2002 they had an Indian pop up restaurant in a section of the Lido. I think it was £5 which was described as a service charge or gratuity. I do not think it was every night. Some passengers were aghast at the idea of an extra charge for a meal on a P and O ship. This pre dates Sindhu and all the rest of course.

Best wishes, Stephen.

Information about P&O's new Iona and her dining options are now appearing on the net. Here is a slide show:

There will be no 1st & 2nd sitting dining anymore I see. Freedom Dining will be the norm.

What do you think? Do you like what you see?

Apologies if this point has already been made - I've only just joined the Forum and am still finding my way around (good practice for when on board Iona?)

With 4 Freedom Dining Rooms it is even more important to obtain a TWID code if travelling with friends under a separate booking reference in order to ensure that you are assigned to the same dining room.

Just a thought when we started there was the MDR and the buffet and Cafe Bordeaux.

The new ships have the MDR and the buffet and 2/3 or more restaurants for which you pay.

What have you lost..... nothing.

What have you gained.... all the other pay restaurants.

I look at this as a positive not a negative. You do not have to go to the newly introduced venues.

I didn't say anything had been lost Dai. I was merely expressing my personal preference - which is utterly unimportant to P&O as I will not be sailing aboard Iona. Also, before I am accused of moaning - I am not. It is the way cruising is going and many will like it - but not me. That's life.

In terms of ship design however, I do agree with Denarius - an inordinate amount of space on Iona appears to be dedicated to eating places - free or paid for!