Kona dive shop compatible with cruisers?

vms

I am having a terrible time finding a dive shop that will work for the times we are in port. We're supposed to be in port 7 am to 6pm, but since it's a tender port, and I have no status, there's no way to know when I can get off the ship.

Big Island Divers, who I've seen recommended most frequently, stated that they've had many issues with cruisers not making it to their shop by 8 am in time for their morning dives. They strongly recommended not booking because they would not refund if I didn't make it on time.

Anyone have any other suggestions? Or should I just give up and try something else in this port?

The other shop that's OK there is Jack's Diving Locker. I've dove with both, and Big Island wins HANDS DOWN. However, the last time I used them, Jack's worked with cruisers quite well.

Depending what equipment you need, I would suggest exploring a couple options with Big Island:

If you have all your own gear, I'd ask them about doing all the paperwork on line in advance. Their website had this option available last time I dove with them. Then, you could take a cab straight to the marina, where the boats leave from, by-passing the stop at the shop.

If you need gear, but know your sizes exactly, same thing with them having your gear at the marina.

If you you have to go to the shop, do so and hope for being able to make it.

In any event, if you book your dive with a credit card, you may have protection against missing the trip. My Chase Sapphire Reserve reimbursed me for lost dive deposits that happened because of an itinerary change.

Similarly you should have travel insurance that would cover you as well.

Finally, even though you don't have loyalty status on this particular cruise, if you talk to the Guest Relations Manager, explaining your situation, they may be able to slip you in for an early tender; especially if you're just two people, and don't make a big thing about it.

Also, at Kona the tendering distance is quite short, so tendering goes quickly.

Harris

Denver, CO

Is there a dive excursion offered by the ship?

Unfortunately no. There is a snorkel excursion and the Atlantis sub options through the cruise line, which could be less-preferred 2nd choices.

Harris- thank you as always for your willingness to share your knowledge. I will take your advice and see if I can make it work with Big Island Divers.