Worrying YouTube video - Ventura

MicroPilot

If you look hard enough on any ship you will find this type of wear and tear. It is disappointing it hasn’t been repaired as a visual check by staff would have highlighted all these areas and they could be fixed on turnaround days. Plus ship has just had a refurb which again should find these faults.

Not good in my opinion.

Plenty of people still seem to have fantastic holidays on her, so I wouldn’t worry too much.

I agree it doesn’t look great, especially the mattress, but I can honestly say I would not know if I had slept on worse as never checked, our linen has always been spotless.

Must have been a really boring cruise!!

He seems to have spent all week seeking out rust and napkins lying on the floor, I think I would have rather spent my week enjoying my (Expensive) cruise personally.

I agree. The stained mattress is a worry although why he removed sheet and mattress cover is anybody’s guess. I have never even dreamed of doing so. Most of the other pictures don’t worry me though. Being offered £700 by P&O is generous I think and probably unjustified.

Some people seem determined to find the negatives in everything. I was on Ventura in May and thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it. We were so busy enjoying our time on there, that we wouldn't have had enough time to go round looking for all the small issues. Why can't people just enjoy themselves without finding faault with everything. Totally agree that the dirty mattress is an issue and perhaps that should be looked into by P&O but the rest of it is wear and tear. Perhaps most of the staff are too busy trying to make sure you enjoy your cruise, than touching up areas with paint etc. Don't let it put you off, the service, food and entertainment will definitely make up for any minor issues.

• Like 1

Some people seem determined to find the negatives in everything. I was on Ventura in May and thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it. We were so busy enjoying our time on there, that we wouldn't have had enough time to go round looking for all the small issues. Why can't people just enjoy themselves without finding faault with everything. Totally agree that the dirty mattress is an issue and perhaps that should be looked into by P&O but the rest of it is wear and tear. Perhaps most of the staff are too busy trying to make sure you enjoy your cruise, than touching up areas with paint etc. Don't let it put you off, the service, food and entertainment will definitely make up for any minor issues.

Not sure how much the maintenance team are to busy to paint and repair obvious areas needing attention, I don’t think they are cooking or entertaining me !!!!!!

Doesnt matter what spin you put on it and whilst I agree about some of the comments about areas around the ship there is no excuse for a mattress to be used in that condition and is absolutely disgusting by P&O and should have been removed and destroyed or at least steam cleaned.

As others have said, it seems like they took the time to find every little (and some times big) issue that should be fixed. No ship, or hotel for that matter is perfect. And given that this is a moving vessel, not everything can get fixed straight away.

Not that I'm saying that P&O should get a pass, but for the most part they keep thier ships to a high standard.

As for the mattress, you just have to convince yourself that you're the only one ever to occupy it - same goes for the loo seat too. (tongue firmly in cheek with that statement). And looking for issues in said locations is only going to lead to finding something you don't want to see. What's that old addage? Ignorence is bliss.

:)

Never have been to a hotel, or cabin, and removed all the covers and mattress cover to inspect the mattress!!

That seems to me what the hoteliers do in the "Four in a bed" program on the TV in the UK, that is shortly before they start running their fingers round the toilet rim looking for embarrassing curly hairs!!

If my sheets and bedlinen are fresh and clean that's good enough for me, and then I get on with enjoying my well deserved Cruise.

Not sure how much the maintenance team are to busy to paint and repair obvious areas needing attention, I don’t think they are cooking or entertaining me !!!!!!

The maintenance team might not be entertaining or cooking for you, but knowing how hard all the staff work on these cruise ships, I'm pretty sure they wont be sat on their backsides doing nothing. I'm sure there is always plenty to do for every member of staff. I am certainly not suggesting that these issues are unimportant or that P&O shouldn't do better, but perhaps if these things were mentioned to a memebr of staff while on board, they could have dealt with at least some of them.

I have never removed sheets to see what state the mattress was in, but if anyone does check and finds it is that dirty, surely the obvious thing to do is report it immediately to the cabin staff and insist that it is replaced straight away. Simple really!!!!!

I think you should not go into searching out the minutia of imperfections which might be able to be detected on board. Such critical examination will lead only to buyer's remorse and a feeling that your cruise holiday was second rate. It is far better in my opinion to focus on the good opportunities on board and meeting nice people which will lead to a first rate exceptional experience.

Regards John

In 2016 we went on a 2 week cruise on Oceana. When we boarded there was loads of rust in places and it didn't look good.

During the cruise the crew spent hours chipping away ( on port days when we were off the ship) and painting.

Did cause us a problem? Not at all. One of the best cruises we have ever had and easily as good as our first cruise on a brand new Celebrity ship

On any cruise line or in any hotel -- if you go looking for problems you will find them.

Life is too short --- go looking for the good ..

Obviously from the evidence on the video it is not good. That said however, I doubt many of us take off the bed sheets & mattress protectors. The poster of the video seemed to think that £700 off a future cruise was a poor offer. Personally I think that is pretty good if it was only the cabin and a few bits of defective ship. I do wonder how long he spent wandering the ship looking for bits of wear and damage...

Havent watched the video, but picked up the gist by reading the comments. My first thoughts were on trip advisor some people have started booking hotels then going around and filming every little tiny thing wrong, so to blackmail the place and say we will give you back reviews if you don't...…. If the person who did the filming thinks £700 is not good enough maybe he needs to try harder with the filming.

In case some people didn't realise being at sea is a very harsh environment. Even if the sun is shining the sea will rust anything .They can paint it like the forth bridge ,but there will always be rust somewhere.it is at sea not on land.

We will be on Ventura in December and I am sure that we will not have the time to waste seeking out problems with the ship. To those who wonder who strips down the bed I would say watch a couple of episodes of "Four in a Bed" someone invariably do this in an effort to find problems, I have never seen an episode where some place was perfect.

I just wonder if the passenger was looking to get enough compensation to book another holiday. The cabin looked like an inside cabin yet he said that paid £10000 for a family of 4, we invariably have a balcony cabin but have never paid £2500 each for a week cruise.

To the OP I say go on your cruise and enjoy it, don't worry about problems that someone has gone out of their way to find.

Mattresses do suffer wear and tear, it is the nature of the thing. I wouldn't want anyone examining mine at home too closely. And if I was asked to sleep on a dirty mattress I wouldn't be too happy. But surely that is why we have a mattress protector and lovely clean sheets. Now if the sheets were dirty that would be something to complain about, but not the mattress, why look?

Doesnt matter what spin you put on it and whilst I agree about some of the comments about areas around the ship there is no excuse for a mattress to be used in that condition and is absolutely disgusting by P&O and should have been removed and destroyed or at least steam cleaned.

I agree and will be checking the mattress on my future cruises and hotel stays

Have people seriously got nothing better to do with their holiday time? As someone has said if you go in ANY hotel and decide to remove ALL sheets then you would be horrified at what you found. Why would you want to inspect everything to that level other than the sort of person who is always seeking compensation. Guaranteed the person who found all this is a regular cruiser and it has not put them off as they know they can find fault on every cruise and therefore get money off the next one. Ignorance is bliss but remember how many bodies are lying on that mattress each year alone !!! Get out of your cabin and enjoy your cruise......

As others have said, it seems like they took the time to find every little (and some times big) issue that should be fixed. No ship, or hotel for that matter is perfect. And given that this is a moving vessel, not everything can get fixed straight away.

Not that I'm saying that P&O should get a pass, but for the most part they keep thier ships to a high standard.

As for the mattress, you just have to convince yourself that you're the only one ever to occupy it - same goes for the loo seat too. (tongue firmly in cheek with that statement). And looking for issues in said locations is only going to lead to finding something you don't want to see. What's that old addage? Ignorence is bliss.

:)

I agree,same could be said of sheets, towels knives,forks,spoons cutlery etc that thousands of people have used before you.

We were on Ventura in May in a SD balcony cabin and everything was fantastic and our lady cabin steward had our room spotless.

Never have been to a hotel, or cabin, and removed all the covers and mattress cover to inspect the mattress!!

That seems to me what the hoteliers do in the "Four in a bed" program on the TV in the UK, that is shortly before they start running their fingers round the toilet rim looking for embarrassing curly hairs!!

If my sheets and bedlinen are fresh and clean that's good enough for me, and then I get on with enjoying my well deserved Cruise.

My sentiments too.

Havent watched the video, but picked up the gist by reading the comments. My first thoughts were on trip advisor some people have started booking hotels then going around and filming every little tiny thing wrong, so to blackmail the place and say we will give you back reviews if you don't...…. If the person who did the filming thinks £700 is not good enough maybe he needs to try harder with the filming.

In case some people didn't realise being at sea is a very harsh environment. Even if the sun is shining the sea will rust anything .They can paint it like the forth bridge ,but there will always be rust somewhere.it is at sea not on land.

I viewed that video last week and came to much the same conclusion - I suspect this is a tactic that more travellers are using in order to secure compensation these days! I must check the mattress on my next cruise (it was rather gross) and see if it will entitle me to some additional OBC!