What are the lines doing about pirates?

CaptnSerenity

Virtually every example in that link was of a yacht, fishing boat, or merchant vessel being boarded by surprise while anchored in open waters. When exactly do cruise ships find themselves in that position? The only time they are at anchor are when calling at established tender ports in territorial waters with plenty of port security.

One nation was cited as by far causing the most problems with piracy. And cruise ships have stopped sailing in or anywhere near Venezuelan waters long ago (and a few lines have recently cancelled calls at nearby Trinidad and Tobago). As for the Pacific coast of Mexico and Central America those ports have been under various alerts and warnings from the US State Department pretty much in perpetuity. And ships continue to call there without incident--at least to the ship while sailing or in port; hazards on land are a whole different ballgame.

Interesting topic for your first post, by the way...

As far as a "safety plan", each and every ship in the world, over 400 gross tons, (cruise and cargo) is required to have an ISPS code (International Ship and Port Security) plan. Now, finding out about these plans is going to be difficult for you, as they are considered classified documents, typically known in full, on board, only by the Captain (everyone knows their personal and perhaps their departmental responsibilities, but there are details known only to the Captain), and even governmental or third party auditors have to have clearance letters from the company to be able to inspect the document. Suffice it to say that there is a plan in place, the plan is constantly reviewed and updated given changing conditions, and is the best available given current security best practices and technology.

A few years ago, there was an increase in pirate activity in the Indian Ocean especially around the Horn of Africa. We took 4 cruises thru the area at that time. Each cruise, we had a pirate drill before we entered the area with pirates. We frequently had naval vessels near by. We had no problems.

I heard that one of the cruise lines had Gurkhas make up part of their security force on board ship.

Those who mess with the Gurkhas don't live to tell the tale.....

NCL typically hires retired Gurkhas for security officers.

We were on THE Reflection 3 yrs ago leaving Istanbul. Some speed boat, a good half kilometre away, was heading on course toward the ship. A front gun mounted military speed boat raced by between the cruise ship and that boat turning it away with no incident .

The event was very interesting to say the least.

Edited by JMorris271

wear

I read this as "What are the lines doing about Panties?" I need an afternoon coffee.

tyree39, you made my day...that's just too funny. :D:)

Almost forgot what I was going to say....

On our sailing past the Suez Canal and heading towards Dubai, we had a "pirate drill" and had 10 hired security personnel walking around the ship...easy to distinguish, they were wearing all black.

As Cheng correctly mentioned, the vessel's Master has a "Ship Security Plan (SSP)", which is a requirement of the ISPS Code. This plan nominates a Ship Security Officer (SSO), who must attend an IMO approved SSO training course. On my last ship (Ro/Pax) the Chief Officer was designated the SSO, but on modern cruise ships I believe it will be the Security Officer. The SSO is responsible to the Master to ensure all aspects of the plan are maintained, drilled for and implemented, as required.

Vessel operations in potential pirate waters will be included in the plan.

On our recent WC, we participated in a drill, with pax requested to return to the cabin, close & lock the patio door, then sit in the alleyway. The ship implemented numerous defensive measures, but during the Captain's announcement he specifically requested passengers do not photograph any equipment/personnel or discuss defensive measures online. The Prom Deck was off limits to passengers throughout the anti-piracy measures. What I observed, made me more than comfortable. Apologies, but as a retired Master & SSO, I am unable to discuss content from my old SSP or what I have observed on a few cruises.

The Ship Security Plan is a protected document and officers will not discuss the contents. When sailing as 3rd Officer with Princess, our son frequently presented the Navigator presentation. His opening statement always included the statement that he is unable to discuss any security measures, so please do not ask those types of question. Well you guessed it, he always got at least one.