Tipping

azpizzelle

We leave the auto tips in place and at the end of the cruise we give additional tips to those individuals who we felt made an extra effort to take care of our needs. This would be the cabin stewards and the dining room staff (we always have done set dining, so have the same servers every night.

How much we give varies, dependent on any extra service we received. We also don't always tip extra.

One thing we have never done is remove or decrease the tips. If for some reason we aren't happy with the standard service, we discuss it with the specific person and/or the supervisor. We prefer to get the issue resolved when it happens so we can enjoy the remainder of our cruise without any more problems rather than not say anything and then punish the person(s) by taking away their tips at the end of the cruise. Some people do that, but I can't understand why anyone would endure poor service levels for the entire cruise without trying to get them resolved.

Edited by sloopsailor

Have taken two Scenic River cruises (you will love it) both times we just tipped the young housekeeping lady and the butler who brought us coffee and croissants every morning. Both were very appreciative and in no way were they hanging around expecting one. Extra tipping was never mentioned, no envelopes left for us, nor did we ever see the supposed box left out for tips. One of the joys of travelling on Scenic.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

. Extra tipping was never mentioned, no envelopes left for us, nor did we ever see the supposed box left out for tips. One of the joys of travelling on Scenic.

You were lucky then

as the crew stood by the desk as we handed in our card they reminded pax if they wish to tip extra & held out the box

I found it quite tacky

That's why tips are included, to get away from this horrid hands out culture. In UK we have got away from this ,all the better. Pay upfront what is a good wage and all gratuities included, not master/servant extras to those who do their contracted job.
Not sure about that. Tips are still expected by many in the UK service sector, but not at the US level.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

.....tipping is alive and well in the UK, but compared to, say, the US, the amount tipped is a lot less.

But prices are more expensive in the UK. To pay the so called "good wage" that GrJ Berkshire demands, prices for items and services need to be raised to fund those wages. In the end, it is the customer that pays the employee's wages, whether in the form of tips to supplement a lower base wage, or higher prices to support a higher "good" wage. All the employer does is transfer the funds paid by the customer to the employee. The employers certainly aren't paying those wages out of their own pockets.

And yes, I do understand that a great many travelers from the UK pay tips if that is the way the it is done wherever they are traveling. At least the decent ones do. But there are some who are extremely bad mannerd travelers and don't. We see them on every tipping thread.

I always have to wonder what people like GrJ Berkshire consider to be a good wage. Is it the wage where they live? Or where the business's corporate headquarters are located? Or perhaps the wages where the employee is from? That the cruise line staff are satisfied with the wage system they work in should be the end of the argument. If they didn't like the current system, they would not continue to re-up their contracts. To them, the system doesn't need GrJ Berkshire's approval. It works fine. And people like GrJ Berkshire should try to be decent enough to accept that simple fact.

Edited by Host Walt

:D Thank you so much. We are looking forward to Scenic. this will be our first time on Scenic. I have tipped extra when tips were included. But not sure on Scenic. We can't wait.

Have taken two Scenic River cruises (you will love it) both times we just tipped the young housekeeping lady and the butler who brought us coffee and croissants every morning. Both were very appreciative and in no way were they hanging around expecting one. Extra tipping was never mentioned, no envelopes left for us, nor did we ever see the supposed box left out for tips. One of the joys of travelling on Scenic.

Sent from my iPad using Forums