Appropriate or Overdressed?

HangryGrl

I sail RCI all the time. You would definitely not be overdressed. That really looks perfect. I have always worn full length dresses. The only time I wore a shorter dress was for my 3 or 4 night cruises. In those instances I wore short formal dresses instead.

• 3 weeks later...

I love the color! We still like to "dress up" when we cruise. You will probably feel overdressed, but there will definately be others dressed up as well. I really wish we could get back to the days where dinner on formal night was a gala event. But times have changed . . .

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Thanks for the responses! As someone had asked, I will be on a 9 night Southern Caribbean itinerary. We have been on Royal before but skipped formal nights. I think I will take the chance and get it. :) I agree that it is better to be over dressed than under dressed in most situations.

I love this dress! Do you mind sharing where you got it?

• 3 weeks later...

My favorite thing on formal night is seeing all the lovely clothes. The color of this dress is stunning!

Someone mentioned asking your dry cleaner for a long bag. Ask for two, and slide the second one up from the bottom. That will contain any glitter and protect the gown from any wrinkling. I know it didn’t come wrinkled, but it wasn’t packed in a suitcase.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think it’s beautiful and totally appropriate for formal night. Make sure you walk a while in the shoes you choose. I wear flats on cruises so I don’t break an ankle if the ship rocks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...
I know to each their own, but we love dressing up on cruises. We dress very nice every night for dinner, with a tux and evening gown on formal nights. I think that's part of the charm of cruising for me!

Thank you for the post. We love to dress up as well but haven't been on a cruise in 8 years. Last time DH wore his tux. Celebrity has done away with formal night. We have really been debating dressing up for our June Carribean cruise. I would love to buy a gown to wear. DH would love the tux. And our 12 year old really likes dressing up too...so maybe we will just go for it!!!:D:D

• 1 month later...
Coming back to share some photos from our last cruise. We absolutely love dressing up, especially on the formal nights.

26982144_10154950440176540_736484248_o-M.jpg27047126_10154950440751540_1816507216_o-M.jpg

Great photos:D.........I don't dress up much anymore but you both look awesome:)

Wow lovely dress and really nice colour. Please dress up for your cruise; one of the things I enjoy in the evening is looking at all of the lovely dresses. It seems such a shame when people go into the MDR wearing jeans or other casual clothes that you could wear anywhere.

Thank you for the post. We love to dress up as well but haven't been on a cruise in 8 years. Last time DH wore his tux. Celebrity has done away with formal night. We have really been debating dressing up for our June Carribean cruise. I would love to buy a gown to wear. DH would love the tux. And our 12 year old really likes dressing up too...so maybe we will just go for it!!!:D:D

If you like it, do it! We love dressing up on cruises, too, and always do so. You will not be alone. Every night is date night!

• 4 weeks later...
Hi! I am wondering if this dress will be appropriate for a formal night on Royal Caribbean or if I am going to feel way overdressed?

Y68747-TLMU_Y62929-GL.055.jpg?preset=dept

I would totally wear this. It doesn’t “read” all that formal to me. Dressy, for sure, but not super formal. You’ll stand out but in a good way. Lots of people will be more casual, but many will be more “traditionally” formally dressed. This is a great in-between look, in my opinion.