Marseille cruise terminal - Is there any car rental that can bring the car there?

ace123

If there is, we have never found it :(. It is not the norm for rental car companies to deliver cars in most of Europe (there are some exceptions in Italy). You might try contacting Enterprise and asking if they will now deliver a car....but I would not be too hopeful. Please post any results (pro or con) here so we can all know the current situation.

By the way, one place you can get a car delivered right to the gangplank is the port of Livorno. This is done by the local Hertz franchisee called Sifracar (Sifracar.com) and I love these guys :). They operate the most convenient rental car operation I have seen anywhere in the world. The cars are parked right next to the ship, they do the paperwork on the pier, and you can drive the car back to the pier and just drop it.

Hank

• 2 weeks later...
Is the train station within walking distance from the cruise terminal?

Thanks.

Marazul mentioned the Old Port (Vieux Port) which might confuse some. So to answer the OP's question, No, the train station is not within walking distance of the port used by the cruise ships. Your ship will likely provide shuttle bus service (either free or for a price) to the Old Port...from where its about a 20 minute walk to the train station. Your best bet is to share a taxi from the port directly to the train station...assuming you can find a taxi willing to do the short haul.

Hank

Marazul mentioned the Old Port (Vieux Port) which might confuse some. So to answer the OP's question, No, the train station is not within walking distance of the port used by the cruise ships. Your ship will likely provide shuttle bus service (either free or for a price) to the Old Port...from where its about a 20 minute walk to the train station. Your best bet is to share a taxi from the port directly to the train station...assuming you can find a taxi willing to do the short haul.

Hank

:cool: Although some of the smaller ships do dock at the Old Port...

• 3 weeks later...

We just booked with Sixt car rental. The company says they offer a "meet and greet" service.

* Meet & Greet Service:

Please note that there is no Sixt branch at the harbor, we are offering a Meet

& Greet Service. Sixt staff will meet you at Marseille Provence Cruise Center

which is accessible through gate n°4 of the Grand port Maritime of Marseille.

Please provide your address and credit card details, e-mail address and mobile number.

We don't sail until June so I don't know how this will work first hand but I thought I would let you know what we found out.

-Jen

We just booked with Sixt car rental. The company says they offer a "meet and greet" service.

* Meet & Greet Service:

Please provide your address and credit card details, e-mail address and mobile number.

We don't sail until June so I don't know how this will work first hand but I thought I would let you know what we found out.

-Jen

It is good to know. I won't sail until July and please keep me posted about how it works. Thanks.

Hank

It's a little over 1 mile away form the old port.

Thanks.

* Meet & Greet Service:

-Jen

That is great news :). We have used Sixt and they generally provide very nice cars. Please post an after-report as we would consider using them on our next visit.

Hank

I hope you guys know Gate No.4 is still about 20 to 25 min walk from the ship's dock and that is IF they allow you to walk. Marseilles is an industrial port, We have been there twice and do not remember we were allowed to walk thru the dock areas.

Will do! This port doesn't seem to be very DYI friendly. ;)

That is great news :). We have used Sixt and they generally provide very nice cars. Please post an after-report as we would consider using them on our next visit.

Hank

Nope-I haven't been to this port and I am finding it hard to get specific information. I am just doing the best I can to research and book the best option for my family.

If they don't allow you to walk how do you get to the end of the dock? Are you forced to pay for the cruise line's shuttle bus? We are not opposed to walking the 20-25 minutes if it is allowed.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

I hope you guys know Gate No.4 is still about 20 to 25 min walk from the ship's dock and that is IF they allow you to walk. Marseilles is an industrial port, We have been there twice and do not remember we were allowed to walk thru the dock areas.

• 1 month later...

Has any one used the Sixt car rental - How was your experience?

* Meet & Greet Service:

-Jen

• 1 month later...

Hello-

We just had a wonderful experience with Sixt car rental at the Marseille port. They were waiting at the gate for us and were waiting at the time we told them we would return. It was really smooth! The employee that was waiting for us was very friendly-especially since we were a few minutes late. There is a gas station fairly close to top off the tank before you return it. And just follow the signs for Porte 4 not Porte 3. That costs us about 10 minutes of stress!

You do have to walk all the way down to the enterance to the port-(think main gate). We are a pretty active family and it took us about 16-17 minutes. There is a green line painted for the pedestrians to follow and you just follow that until the end.

For anyone that might be interested there is a stop for the free shuttle to downtown along the way. It might be a 10-12 walk from the ship.

-jen

• 1 month later...

* Meet & Greet Service:

-Jen

Jen, can you tell me if you did end up renting a car with this company and how it worked out? I'm not sailing until October but am trying to make plans for the ports now. I'd like to get to Calanques National Park but don't want to tie up the entire day on a tour. Can you also tell me how it was driving in France...easy, confusing, etc? Any suggestions on places to go within driving distance? Thank you!!!

I could not find any car rental close to the cruise terminal.

It'll be much convenient for us to have the rental car brought to us.

Do you know any?

Your reply is much appreciated.

Hello-

We just had a wonderful experience with Sixt car rental at the Marseille port. They were waiting at the gate for us and were waiting at the time we told them we would return. It was really smooth! The employee that was waiting for us was very friendly-especially since we were a few minutes late. There is a gas station fairly close to top off the tank before you return it. And just follow the signs for Porte 4, not Porte 3. That costs us about 10 minutes of stress!

You do have to walk all the way down to the entrance to the port-(think the main gate). We are a pretty active family and it took us about 16-17 minutes. There is a green line painted for the pedestrians to follow and you just follow that until the end.

For anyone that might be interested there is a stop for the free shuttle to downtown along the way. It might be a 10-12 walk from the ship.

-jen

Jen, can you tell me if you did end up renting a car with this company and how it worked out? I'm not sailing until October but am trying to make plans for the ports now. I'd like to get to Calanques National Park but don't want to tie up the entire day on a tour. Can you also tell me how it was driving in France...easy, confusing, etc? Any suggestions on places to go within driving distance? Thank you!!!

Hello-

We just had a wonderful experience with Sixt car rental at the Marseille port. They were waiting at the gate for us and were waiting at the time we told them we would return. It was really smooth! The employee that was waiting for us was very friendly-especially since we were a few minutes late. There is a gas station fairly close to top off the tank before you return it. And just follow the signs for Porte 4, not Porte 3. That costs us about 10 minutes of stress!

You do have to walk all the way down to the entrance to the port-(think the main gate). We are a pretty active family and it took us about 16-17 minutes. There is a green line painted for the pedestrians to follow and you just follow that until the end.

We used Google maps and it was great.

I am still working on my cruise review but this is what I have for the port of Marseille

Marseille: We rented a car here too. We rented with Sixt car rental and they were amazing. They were waiting for us at the entrance to the pier (about a 20-minute walk) from where the ships docks. On a side note, on the way to the front gate of the pier, there is a FREE shuttle bus that will take passengers downtown so you don't need to buy the shuttle bus ticket from the cruise line. We drove to Notre Dame de la Guarde and soaked up the views before it was overrun with the tour buses. We then drove on to Calanques National Park for a hike and a swim. The hike was mildly challenging but the views were worth it. At the bottom, my son got to jump into the Mediterranean and discover it was still a little too cold for his Florida blood. We stopped by the old town area before heading back to the port. The representative from Sixt was waiting for us and we walked back to the ship.

-jen

Hello-

We used Google maps and it was great.

I am still working on my cruise review but this is what I have for the port of Marseille

Marseille: We rented a car here too. We rented with Sixt car rental and they were amazing. They were waiting for us at the entrance to the pier (about a 20-minute walk) from where the ships docks. On a side note, on the way to the front gate of the pier, there is a FREE shuttle bus that will take passengers downtown so you don't need to buy the shuttle bus ticket from the cruise line. We drove to Notre Dame de la Guarde and soaked up the views before it was overrun with the tour buses. We then drove on to Calanques National Park for a hike and a swim. The hike was mildly challenging but the views were worth it. At the bottom, my son got to jump into the Mediterranean and discover it was still a little too cold for his Florida blood. We stopped by the old town area before heading back to the port. The representative from Sixt was waiting for us and we walked back to the ship.

-jen

Thank you!!! That's a great help!!

• 1 month later...

* Meet & Greet Service:

Hi,

we are staying in Marseille after the cruise.

I wanted to rent a car from Marseille port and return in Marseille airport.

Looking in the internet I am not sure where to pick up the car that would be closer to the port.

Could you please send me the information if you still have it from sixt.

We are sailing in December.

Thank you in advance.

Patricia