Internet speed

Dori Saltzman

Hi there,

If there's anyone out there currently on a ship that could run a speed test for me of the Internet, I'd very much appreciate it. I'm trying to find out how fast the Disney Internet can go.

Thanks so much!

Dori

It's adequate for things like web surfing, email, online messaging, but it will NOT support video streaming and unlikely to do video conferencing very well. Plus you're charged by the MB, depending on the package you purchase once you're on board. You get a free 50 MB when you board on embarkation day, once that's gone you'll have to purchase a package in order to connect online. Using the Disney Navigator App is free, you can connect it through the WiFi on the ship but it's limited to the app's features only.

Not on board now, but the above description is what we found as well. Face time works, but streaming won't. And 50mb went a lot farther than I expected after we found that pesky app that the person in the internet cafe missed! It you are technologically challenged, your kid will be better at making sure everything that needs to be turned off has been than the "help" people on the ship...or at least that was our experience.

If you are on a 3 or 4 night cruise and just want to do e-mail and a face time, 50 mg may do it for you. I bought the 1 gig package on a 14 night cruise and had almost half of it left at the end....and daughter was on line A LOT.

FWIW, DCL's speed was better than we've had on the other lines we've cruised. DCL 5 years ago was better than Princess now!

Its time for cruise lines to join the 21st century and offer unlimited free internet. Even my local bar does that. C'mon Disney, the 90s are over. Free wifi is a reasonable expectation nowadays. Build in into the cost if the cruise if you have to.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

Its time for cruise lines to join the 21st century and offer unlimited free internet. Even my local bar does that. C'mon Disney, the 90s are over. Free wifi is a reasonable expectation nowadays. Build in into the cost if the cruise if you have to.

Sorry, I have no desire for my cost of the cruise to be elevated to support someone else's need for internet access.

That's all well and good for land based situations, internet at sea is like on an airplane, it comes from Satellites and they're very expensive to purchase bandwidth from. It's unlikely that there will be any "unlimited"high speed internet on many of the cruise lines anytime soon. The ultra exclusive (read expensive) lines like Seven Seas offer services like that, but you pay for them big time.

DCL discontinued their VERY expensive unlimited internet package in 2005 when people in multiple cabins were going on line to set up sharing groups and DCL caught on that this was happening. The current system isn't bad at all. As I posted above, a 1 gig package gave my teen all the internet she wanted on a 14 night cruise, with plenty left over.

DCL also provides a 50mb complimentary package--you must sign up for it on the first day. This allows you to check out the system, make sure that your devices are not running anything in the background, etc. On a short cruise, this may be more than sufficient for the casual user.

It should be free (and someday might be) but I recognize that these days cruise lines are looking for more opportunities to sock it to the consumer. Upcharge restaurants, and now upcharge entrees in free restaurants, over-priced water bottles, etc. etc. Disney isn't nearly as bad as other cruise lines, but note that DCL prices are significantly higher to begin with (which is another reason to argue for free internet).

That's all well and good for land based situations, internet at sea is like on an airplane, it comes from Satellites and they're very expensive to purchase bandwidth from. It's unlikely that there will be any "unlimited"high speed internet on many of the cruise lines anytime soon. The ultra exclusive (read expensive) lines like Seven Seas offer services like that, but you pay for them big time.

You should research the Voom internet service that RCCL offers. The pricing is close to DCL’s pricing and it’s unlimited and fast enough that you can stream video, I loves it when I was on the Oasis. DCL should up theirs game in this area IMHO.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You should research the Voom internet service that RCCL offers. The pricing is close to DCL’s pricing and it’s unlimited and fast enough that you can stream video, I loves it when I was on the Oasis. DCL should up theirs game in this area IMHO.

AMEN. I’ve had Voom twice, happily paid for it, then I go back to Disney and it’s like I’m in the friggin dark ages. RCI is smart with that internet. And lumping it in as a combo with their drink packages...genius. When I looked around and saw people posting to social media, etc.....and I was posting to my social media live....many friends/family captivated by the content...that’s FREE advertising right there!

Sorry, I have no desire for my cost of the cruise to be elevated to support someone else's need for internet access.

No need to elevate the price of the cruise. Royal offers unlimited streaming speed internet that cruisers purchase at an additional cost by the day. I’ve had it twice and it’s amazing. Seems like I paid like $80 or so to have it the full week both times. Maybe more. Was SO worth it. Just like actual adult beverage packages, if Disney would offer it I’d gladly give them my money for it. No need to elevate anyone else’s prices.

Although now that you mention it, I don’t drink soda so there’s that....

Unlike land service, cruise ships use satellites which are much more expensive. Plus service is slow already as it is. Could you imagine how aweful it would be of every cruise passenger AND employee tried to get online? It would crash in a heartbeat. We had a party at our house for my teenage daughter. We have the fastest fiber optic service. It crashed after 40+ kids accessed the wifi with the password

Unlike land service, cruise ships use satellites which are much more expensive. Plus service is slow already as it is. Could you imagine how aweful it would be of every cruise passenger AND employee tried to get online? It would crash in a heartbeat. We had a party at our house for my teenage daughter. We have the fastest fiber optic service. It crashed after 40+ kids accessed the wifi with the password

But again, it’s not an impossible task to have unlimited streaming speed Internet available on a ship. It’s been done on numerous ships by Royal. It’s not free, you have to pay for it by the day. Obviously it isn’t a cost prohibitive thing to do considering they’ve installed the equipment on several ships now....ships that carry more passengers and crew than Disney’s....and it works. Very well.

• 3 weeks later...
It's adequate for things like web surfing, email, online messaging, but it will NOT support video streaming and unlikely to do video conferencing very well. Plus you're charged by the MB, depending on the package you purchase once you're on board. You get a free 50 MB when you board on embarkation day, once that's gone you'll have to purchase a package in order to connect online. Using the Disney Navigator App is free, you can connect it through the WiFi on the ship but it's limited to the app's features only.

Is the 50mb per person or per stateroom?

To the original poster’s question, as noted, you would need to be on the ship to speedtest upload/download outcomes. I would speculate that upload and download speed is between 0 and 1 Mbps in each direction. So expect super slow!

I can say from experience that RCL's VOOM is not all that they say it is

we were on OASIS for turkeyday week last year and had the full VOOM package

RCL choose to not show any of the bowl games .... actually had Bingo in the sports bar while the games were beginning ..... and folks all over the ship whipped out their devices to stream their game of choice as did we.

And the system became abysmally slow .... the games were constantly jumpy ..... "buffering" .....

eventually some of the tech savvy passengers provided an answer and the word went around as to where particular games were grouping to watch on ONE device. We ended up with 30 Bama folks watching on one laptop hooked up to a bluetooth speaker in an unused (at that time) lounge. By reducing the number of individual stream requests we were able to see the game 'better' .... in technical terms we reduced the bandwidth demand .....

WRT 'expensive lines' including internet in the price .... DCL ain't on the inexpensive side of this line IMO

VIKING OCEAN provides 'free' aka 'included in the price' internet access on all their ships/cruises .... Viking River too. Service limitations based on geography are not under their control. On our recent cruise into Norway fjords the tall mountains on either side of the ship often blocked the system's line of sight to the satellite .....

enhance

Edited by Capt_BJ