Italy Excitement (credit Hoyalheel for the title)

Lois R

Hi, HoyaHeel has a great title for her Alaska thread and so....I sail from Venice next month and thought I would take the baton:D….flying to Venice on July 7th and sailing on Silversea's "WHISPER" on July 10th:D

Daytime will be very port intensive so capri's and longer shorts (Bermuda) with short sleeve tops for touring...….

nicer slacks/tops for evenings. I bought 2 new bathing suits and a really cute cover up.

We are stopping at multiple ports that are ALL NEW for me so it should be really exciting!:D

And it seems we cannot edit titles anymore...…...I misspelled HoyaHeel...please forgive me. I know what it is like when a name is spelled wrong...…...I get Louis and Louise more times than I can count.

.I get Louis and Louise more times than I can count.

As does my mother, who is also a Lois. You would think people have never heard the name before.:rolleyes:

Anyway, sounds like you have a good packing plan. Italy and the entire Med area can be very hot in the summer, so hopefully your daytime outfits are in good, breathable fabrics. I sometimes find loose flowy skirts or wide leg capris/gauchos to be cooler than more fitted styles, but also know personal preference plays a big role.

For others contemplating such an itinerary, I have some casual Columbia PFG brand halter dresses that have a loose skirt that hits just above the knee and are made of what amounts to swimsuit material. As such, they dry super quick, and likewise can easily be rinsed in the sink if need be, and then hung to dry quickly. These will be a staple on my western Carib cruise in late July/Aug as well as on future Med cruises or any other hot weather vacation. (and they make other styles besides halter if that's not your thing)

What a fun itinerary on a gorgeous ship - I am envious!! Where does it end? My favorite store in Venice was a wine store where you brought in your empty bottle (usually a 1 or 2L plastic water bottle) and picked the barrel of wine you wanted (varieties were written on a chalkboard) and they'd fill it up for you for 3-4 euros. We actually ate lunch on Burano that way - grocery store cheese & salami & bread, bottle of wine ;-)

Lois - I know you don't like dresses so much but I agree with waterbug- in warm climates (and esp humid climates, like our Asian cruise a couple years back) I find a dress so much more comfortable for touring! Just make sure it's long enough to cover knees as needed, and either make it short sleeve (Which I don't like because it's the worst length sleeve for my arm ;-) or bring a top - I have short & long sleeve Columbia SPF fishing shirts I like for sun coverage that isn't too hot and covers the shoulders for churches & temples. (at home in the garden, I have a men's linen shirt I wear as a coverup - thrift store for $1.50 - I just prefer the Columbia shirts for travel because of wrinkles, though I do love a good wrinkled linen on occasion - I just don't find it as flexible for a vacation - could just be me) Anyway, I bring a long cotton tank dress and a couple of the short Columbia dresses - I have black, cobalt & turquoise - and then maybe another couple for dinner (nicer knit, cotton or silk jersey) depending on the length of the cruise and dinner requirements. Our Asia cruise was on Azamara so "country club casual" every night - sundress & cardigan just fine. I almost never wanted to wear pants that trip - my packing list was heavily weighted to dresses!!

We did a Black Sea cruise that ended in Venice in 2011 - it was so lovely!! And then spent a couple nights in Venice after the cruise. I'm sure you'll have a fabulous time!!

Edited by Hoyaheel

Hi girls, thanks for the replies:)

Meg, and even when you spell the name they STILL get it wrong...…..L O I S...….how hard is it?:eek:

Anyway, no dresses for touring for me. Just not me. I have cotton which is breathable:). And my shoes are the ABEO's which are great for walking. I used them last year on my cruise from Barcelona to Rome.

This time we start in Venice and end in Nice but I will be coming home the day we disembark so won't be visiting there. I am going to Venice 2 days early.

These are my ports:

Dubrovnik

Malta

Siracusa

Marsala

Sorrento

Rome

Cinque Terra

I have been to Rome and to the Amalfi coast before but the other places are first time:D……...and besides,

those parts of the world can never been seen too much;)

• 4 weeks later...
And it seems we cannot edit titles anymore...…...I misspelled HoyaHeel...please forgive me. I know what it is like when a name is spelled wrong...…...I get Louis and Louise more times than I can count.

me too!

Lois

I’m on a cruise in late July that starts in Venice and ends in Malta. Two days in Venice at the beginning and two days in Malta at the end. I usually don’t travel in the middle of summer so bought a LOT of new clothes in hopes I don’t perish from the heat. I bought one T shirt type dress from Lands End, and linen capris and two linen tops from LLBean.

Also bought a couple of skirts, and picked up a linen dress while in France earlier this month. I usually don’t wear dresses or skirts for touring but figured I’ll stay cooler this way. Will wear my Keens and some Taos sandals. This is my third time in Venice, one of my very favorite places! In late August I’m going on a hiking trip with Road Scholar and will be back to hiking pants, hiking shoes, and comfortable shirts!

Have a great trip. I have been to Malta a few times and in July......I like hot weather. This is lucky because Valletta is often super hot. There are a lot of white limestone buildings which reflect the heat. So make sure you have water with you and cool clothes.

We went to St John's Co-Cathedral which is amazing inside. We got there first thing in the morning when they opened to buy tickets to go in. They are more restricted where you can go and no photos on a Sunday as they have Mass there. Because it is a Church it is wise to have something to cover your shoulders and knees.

Julie

Hi Julie:) I am going to 3 different sets of Gardens while in Malta.(it is on tour) and will be from about 9-1. So in the heat of the mid afternoon I will be back on the ship and I can find some shade:D But I will bring water with me!

Are you going to Mdina as part of your garden tour? I haven't been to this part of Malta yet and plan to go next year when our cruise visits. Even in the Barrakka Gardens we found it quite warm/hot by lunch time as there is lots of limestone around.

Julie

Hi Julie,:)

The tour goes to these gardens below.

San Anton Gardens

Upper Barracca Gardens

Palazzo Parisio and Gardens

Lois the tour sounds wonderful. The sail into Valletta is stunning and when you come back to the ship and relax it is an amazing place to look at. Well I think so, especially at sunset.

I will be sailing the Western Med from the 14th July on, so I will raise a glass of Champagne to toast a good journey for you on your sailing. It sounds like lots of fun.

Julie

All those gardens sounds wonderful.

Where did you find out about the tour?

Is it through the cruise line or private?

Hi, it is tour through the cruise line.

Lois the tour sounds wonderful. The sail into Valletta is stunning and when you come back to the ship and relax it is an amazing place to look at. Well I think so, especially at sunset.

I will be sailing the Western Med from the 14th July on, so I will raise a glass of Champagne to toast a good journey for you on your sailing. It sounds like lots of fun.

Julie

Hi Julie.....I will have a toast to you too then as well:)...smooth sailing to us both!

I'm not a dress person either, and while I did see plenty of cute summery dresses in Rome in June, they just aren't my style. You'll be fine with what you're planning (not that you were worried... ;)).

I did finally find a cute pair of the wider leg gauchos as mentioned by waterbug. I had tried on several pairs in the winter -- after seeing them worn with high boots in Florence -- I liked the look but it just wasn't for me. However, in a loose, flowy lighter material, I like these. And they are black with a white print, so they fit in perfectly with my travel wardrobe "basics".

I'm not a dress person either, and while I did see plenty of cute summery dresses in Rome in June, they just aren't my style. You'll be fine with what you're planning (not that you were worried... ;)).

I did finally find a cute pair of the wider leg gauchos as mentioned by waterbug. I had tried on several pairs in the winter -- after seeing them worn with high boots in Florence -- I liked the look but it just wasn't for me. However, in a loose, flowy lighter material, I like these. And they are black with a white print, so they fit in perfectly with my travel wardrobe "basics".

Hi Cynthia, they sound very cute:)…..what brand are they and where did you get them?

They are Chico's -- a nice packable knit; lighter in weight than their Traveler's collection:

https://www.chicos.com/store/product/knit+chopsticksprint+crops/570235671?color=058&catId=cat40036

Got them on a 40% off sale. :D

Those are cute:D….to be honest with you, I would wear them for an evening outfit. Daytime I have some very

comfy cotton crops from Chico's too!.....they are more of a cargo style. But the ones in the photo are very nice

as well:)

Well, this is my last weekend home...…..I fly out a week from tomorrow:D…...I had ordered this pants from QVC and they just got here......they are very pretty, fit well and the length is perfect too. I tried them on but they did not "wow me".....I wonder if I find the perfect top I will like them better;)...….I am going shopping tomorrow LOL...….

They are the black multi...….I am trying to copy and paste a photo but it doesn't want to work...…….here is

the link to them instead:

https://www.qvc.com/Susan-Graver-Petite-Printed-Liquid-Knit-Pull-On-Palazzo-Pants---Petite.product.A287295.html?productNumber=A287295&sc=ISRC