FYI - Umbrella Rental may not be avail at Horseshoe Bay when windy

msec

Hi - just passing along a FYI to anyone visiting Horseshoe Bay on a windy day. We visited last Thursday (July 5th) and they were not renting any umbrellas that day due to the windy conditions.

They did have a offer a VIP Beach package which included a Shade Canopy with 4 lounge chairs and a bucket of 4 waters for $150. They will set up the shade canopy for you and carry the loungers to a spot you choose. I did not see an option to rent just the canopy separate - or maybe with less chairs etc. but I did not ask about other options. They did sell out of the shade canopies by around noon (and we were the only ship docked at the Dockyard that day) They seemed to have a lot less canopies than umbrellas - so if shade is important to you then try and get there early on a windy day in case all they are renting are the canopies that day.

I will admit the canopy was wonderful and ended up being a better option than an umbrella would have been - there was more room and more shade than an umbrella would have provided - it was very nice.

I only pass this along as I NEED shade at the beach and was not prepared for umbrellas to be unavailable due to wind - and I had not budgeted $150 for the shade canopy rental either.... I did not know that the canopies were even an option .... Hope this helps someone !!

Hi - just passing along a FYI to anyone visiting Horseshoe Bay on a windy day. We visited last Thursday (July 5th) and they were not renting any umbrellas that day due to the windy conditions.

I only pass this along as I NEED shade at the beach and was not prepared for umbrellas to be unavailable due to wind - and I had not budgeted $150 for the shade canopy rental either.... I did not know that the canopies were even an option .... Hope this helps someone !!

Canopy’s are something new. Thanks for passing that along. Not renting the umbrellas on windy days is not new. That had been the case ever since I have been going to Horseshoe which has been over 15 years. It has been mentioned from time to time. Unfortunately because there are no stickies info like that can get buried. The wind will grab those beach umbrellas on a windy day and possibly injure people. Those beach umbrellas are hefty. One time when I was at Elbow Beach the wind picked up, they probably shouldn’t have even rented it and my umbrella was lifted up flew away, luckily didn’t hit anyone because there were very few people at Elbow. I need the shade too so if no umbrellas there is some shade in some of the cove areas both at the so called baby beach and in the coves on the east end. Another solution which a very fair skinned friend of mine did who absolutely had to have shade was to bring his own fold out tent. It took very little space, he carried it on the bus. I don’t think it was expensive, I think he bought it for less than the cost of renting umbrellas.

Edited by Charles4515