motion sickness on Windstar Tahiti cruise

J&Scruiers76

We are on this cruise in 2015. I too am prone to sea-sickness. I was ok with using the wrist bands and ginger gum. There was one evening when we were sailing from Huahine to Papeete, that is was rough and some people were sick. It was a beautiful cruise and one of our favorites. If your wife took precautions and used whatever works for her, she should be ok.

I've been on really big and relatively small, and have been seasick on both. They are both different. An Oasis ship can certainly rock, but it does it slower. In smaller ships its faster. I don't know if one is better or worse than the other. If your sick your sick. I think best advice on either is try to get a room toward the center, halfway up, with at least a window you can look out. Having your bed head/feet aimed at the side of the ship is best if you can arrange that. Green apples and ginger chews help.

One other thing. Storms happen anywhere, but some oceans in some parts at certain times of the year are better or worse than others. Check reviews on the same route a year or two before. No guarantees here, but it can't hurt.

DH and I never had a problem on ~1,200 passenger ships even in rough seas, but were both quite ill on Star Pride. Windstar Guest Services will give you free meds, but if you are not sure how you will do, I would have your own med supply and take them proactively. They take much longer to help once you are already sick, in my experience.

We were on the Wind Spirit in the summer of 2017, the seas were rough coming and going from the Tuamotos Island. The most motion every on a ship in over 50 some odd cruises. On past cruises in French Polynesia Tahiti, Bora Bora, Raiatea and Moorea no problem. A lot of sick people, we are not bothered. This summer of a Baltic cruise on the Star Breeze we had one very rough night.

Second seating

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We were on the Paul Gauguin (sadly it was before WS returned to French Polynesia) and I am very susceptible to motion sickness.  All was well until the final night as we sailed from Moorea back into Tahiti.  Some of the worst rocking I've ever experienced at sea.  

With what I've been told, it's almost always a pretty rocky ride back into Tahiti from any direction due to the ocean currents.