No free water???!!!

LynnTTT

This can't be correct? I've read that even tap water is not free; can that be correct? No water fountains or access 24 hours?

Even for a cheap cruise, it seems impossible that you can't just walk up and get a glass of water for free.

A deal breaker for me.

In buffet water from dispensers is free. I had no problem to use them also very late (different Costa ships). On some Costa ships (f.e. Magica) also coffee and tea were available in buffet area 24 hour (Jan 2018).

In bar if you do not have any drink package, you need to pay for water (bottled only). In restaurants only during dinner (for breakfast and lunch it is free).

American's do still have free water, on our February cruise on the Diadema the gentleman on the next table to us demanded a glass of tap water as was his right, after a long argument with the waiter then the Maître 'D, & quoting the human rights act, he did get a glass of tap water without charge.

Not sure I would go through all that hassle for a 3 Euros bottle of water.

Tap water on a cruise ship tastes awful. We used to get our glasses filled on P&O cruises and never could drink it. Ugh!

We always see people fill up their bottles at the water dispenser - holding the neck of the bottle up to where the water comes out. A disgusting thing to do. It’s too easy to catch germs on a cruise, but that’s asking for trouble

We buy the package on Costa. Ask for 2 glasses of still water in the bar then pour them into our own bottle which we then put in the cabin fridge.

Costa used to give you bottles of water but there was too much waste. We still see this with Italian people - they order a glass of water with their coffee/wine and never drink the water.

Caryl

In buffet water from dispensers is free. I had no problem to use them also very late (different Costa ships). On some Costa ships (f.e. Magica) also coffee and tea were available in buffet area 24 hour (Jan 2018).

In bar if you do not have any drink package, you need to pay for water (bottled only). In restaurants only during dinner (for breakfast and lunch it is free).

I have only sailed on 2 Costa ships (Favulosa and neoRiviera ) and the buffet area was closed except for meal times so obviously different from the Magica.

As others have mentioned if you book through Costa USA bottled water is free at mealtimes. Actually not free as they jack up the price to include it.

Seems most bookings now include Pranzo and Cena which is water and wine included during meal times. This can be upgraded to Brindiamo or Piu Gusto on board for the extra fee. Really good deal.

We still see this with Italian people - they order a glass of water with their coffee/wine and never drink the water.

Here in S. America, if you order a coffee in a restaurant it always come with a small glass of sparkling water. Not sure why!

We just returned from a Costa cruise and as said water was free at dinner for USA customers. It was available from some dispensers at the buffet areas during times the buffet was not open. No hot water except for meal times, but we were able to go to the bar in the back of the ship to get hot water for tea. Free coffee is only in the morning and from 4 to 5pm, which was weird. It was made quite clear that they really are pushing the drink packages.

For most there is some or other drinks package included in the cruise costs. I have never thought they are pushing the drinks packages. They have a table in the atrium and people can stop there and ask if they are interested to buy one. It is only the most basic option that now does not include a drinks package.

Riana

• 1 month later...

I don't mind paying for bottled water in restaurants as I don't like "tap" water anyway, and that's including on land.

But what's the current take on bringing a few bottles of still water (plastic 1.5L bottles) back to the ship from ports along the way? I know it's "technically" not ok, but do they actually confiscate it or do they just ignore it and let it through?

We have always carried a bottle of water each onto the ship in very port, the trick is to open it and drink some from them.

Fairly sure they would take extra bottles from you but as we now have the drinks package for all but basic cabins there is no need as water from bars is included. Also even the purchase of a water package is so reasonable, bearing in mind the cost of their cruises even buying a few bottles works out cheaper than most other lines.

• 1 year later...

In the long ago past Costa did supply wine & water by the bottle left on the table.

Guess what hundred of half use bottles left everywhere by passengers to lazy to take them with them, wine given to non- package guests and others who had not purchased a package.

Once again spoiling it for others ,we sat at a bar once & saw one person getting drinks for seven others, four who were not on a package, the bar-tender ask to see cruise cards & did not serve them.

MDR only my wife and I on table had a package a red & a white left for us, others helped themselves to drinks before we even reached the dining room. Leaving us k for new bottles and making us change tables with the comments our fellow guests gave to us.

No wonder Costa now includes packages in cruise price as passengers can not be trusted to be even reasonably honest.

Edited by tenpin
  • Like 2

I agree with comments above. However, regular tap water should be served in the main dining room. We have a beverage package so this does not apply to us. However, leaving from Fort Lauderdale I believe this will not be an issue. I’ll let you know in a month. 

I personally think Costa's bottled water package is a cheap deal, I use to have this when I could not drink due to taking my tablets. 

Far better than the ships water we used to get in MDR.

Edited by tenpin

We have never been on a cruise where tap water was not offered at all meals and in drink machines around the ship.  We have been on 14 different cruise lines.  We have an upcoming  Costa cruise (first time on them for about 20 years) on the Mediterranea in February 2020 but  we have the Intenditore drinks package.   Will water be included in this package?  🥛  🥛

Water in mdr shouldn't be an issue if you are from the US and cruising in the Caribbean.  We are on the Luminosa on Dec 22nd and we have not purchased any packages and are in classic category.  On our ticket that was just issued it states:  WaterUSA - Mineral water by the glass.  

6 hours ago, Robb said:

We have never been on a cruise where tap water was not offered at all meals and in drink machines around the ship.  We have been on 14 different cruise lines.  We have an upcoming  Costa cruise (first time on them for about 20 years) on the Mediterranea in February 2020 but  we have the Intenditore drinks package.   Will water be included in this package?  🥛  🥛

Yes

I think people need to understand that these are Italian ships. It is the same with MSC.

In Italy in any restaurant tap water is not provided and people pay for bottled mineral water. Same in Spain and France.

MSC and Costa are allowing those booked in USA to have bottled water on the table. This is not tap water.

• Like 1

An update.  We did book the World Cruise leaving Venice on January 5, 2020.  We're on the Costa Deliziosa in an exterior cabin with a blocked view.  The price was right and we like the itinerary, the 15 included excursions (mostly coach tours of the larger cities) , and the included wine, beer and sodas at lunch and dinner.  And bottled water is included, but who cares!!

• Like 1

On 12/1/2019 at 8:20 AM, anngi said:

On Transatlantic cruises do Americans get free water at meals in dining room or just buffet?

Is the free water only for breakfast and lunch and not dinner?

Just off Costa Pacifica from Rome to Buenos Aires.

US folk got free water at lunch and dinner in the dining rooms - flat or sparkling and others with drink packages also got water. At breakfast there were water dispensers in the buffet but had a sign asking people not to fill bottles, many did though. In the dining room at breakfast there were jugs of iced water along side the jugs of juice. I would take an empty bottle with me, fill a few glasses with water and then pour into my bottle at my table.

Some of the waiters let people take the balance of the large water bottles at the end of dinner, others did not.

1 hour ago, Lunenburg said:

Just off Costa Pacifica from Rome to Buenos Aires.

US folk got free water at lunch and dinner in the dining rooms - flat or sparkling and others with drink packages also got water. At breakfast there were water dispensers in the buffet but had a sign asking people not to fill bottles, many did though. In the dining room at breakfast there were jugs of iced water along side the jugs of juice. I would take an empty bottle with me, fill a few glasses with water and then pour into my bottle at my table.

Some of the waiters let people take the balance of the large water bottles at the end of dinner, others did not.

Thank you very much for the information. How was the cruise? We are doing a reverse transatlantic first time on Costa in March.

3 hours ago, anngi said:

It was quite different from other cruises we have taken. Many nationalities, mostly an older crowd until we hit Rio where many got off and 1200 younger Brazilians boarded. Suddenly the disco opened at midnight and a late dinner was offered in the buffet from 0100 to 0500.

Meals in the DR were leisurely to slow with some good options and some not so good, our waiter got used to N. American guests wanting their salad before the main course instead of after and we got used to having to go elsewhere for coffee or tea after meals.

Entertainment was mostly singing, dancing, quizzes, bingo etc. No TV reception for much of the trip and spotty internet at times.

All our tours with Costa were cancelled in English at the European ports but I was able to switch to Spanish ones. In Brazil there were sufficient English speakers to do combined tours with another one or two languages - German, Finnish, French, Portuguese and Italian.

We liked it well enough to book another cruise onboard with a 20% discount - I would rate it as good but not outstanding but good value for the money.

• Like 1