Barnti Tours Antigua

cruiseshelisaa

• 1 month later...

Your best option is to take this advice from the tour guide. Knowing what type of individual you are will be better assessed by him. Therefore

, he can recommend a beach according to your personality.

Some like quiet beaches, others dont mind the crowd. Some like scenic beaches, others like beaches suitable for snorkeling. If you say a little about yourself, i can recommend a beach for you.

It was my first time hearing of this tour also; however, the name sounds familiar, as a familiar taxi guy on the island.

Also, my role in this thread is to function as a resource for persons unfamiliar with Antigua. I am an Antiguan, also associated with tourism industry. I use this knowledge to help in whatever way i can.

My favorite beach in Antigua is Galleon beach, it is hideaway, close to Shirleys Heights. Its peaceful, and great for snorkeling. Not many taxis will steer passengers in this direction because it will burn up a chunk of their time, so the beach remains a hidden gem off a beaten path.

It was my first time hearing of this tour also; however, the name sounds familiar, as a familiar taxi guy on the island.

Also, my role in this thread is to function as a resource for persons unfamiliar with Antigua. I am an Antiguan, also associated with tourism industry. I use this knowledge to help in whatever way i can.

My favorite beach in Antigua is Galleon beach, it is hideaway, close to Shirleys Heights. Its peaceful, and great for snorkeling. Not many taxis will steer passengers in this direction because it will burn up a chunk of their time, so the beach remains a hidden gem off a beaten path.

How far is Galleon from the port?

Is there a beach bar there with food and drinks available?

Also, how much should a taxi cost round trip for 2 people?

Round trip should cost about 50 USD. There is a beach bar and restaurant which opens in the season for 6 months from Nov to Apr. There are snorkeling excursions you can book who provides snorkeling and tour combination. There is Bernie's Snorkeling Adventure, he provides pick up and drop off, plus a guided snorkeling tour at Galleon beach for $60 USD per person. Im not sure how much he charges for a whole day private tour with snorkeling and sightseeing.

I would not recommend our tour to you since you are aiming for affordability. Our all day SCOOTER SNORKELING tour for two persons is $400 USD.

My advice is to stick with the tour youve already booked, and have him stop at Galleon, if you want to spot turtles, swim left facing the beach, about 30ft from shore and keep going until you meet the rocks. 30ft from shore you will encounter the best of everything to see at Galleon.

Taking a taxi to be at Galleon for a whole day without seeing Shirleys Heights, and Nelson's dock yard is a waste. Its worth doing a tour of the island.

• 3 weeks later...

Beach limerz is a restaurant and bar located on Fort James Beach. It is the nearest descent beach near the cruise ship port. Walking will be about 40 mins, driving, about 10 minutes. Beach limerz is a nice bar located right at the shore of Fort James overlooking the turquoise water of the caribbean sea. It has the tropical feel most usually sort after, including myself when i need a getaway spot. :) have you changed your mind about the tour?

Yes, that wil be the idea beach if you are seeking somewhere close to the port. Antigua was not affected too much by hurricanes, only Barbuda. I would not consider fort james quiet though, its just not as crowded as dickenson bay, or valley church beach.

Yes, that wil be the idea beach if you are seeking somewhere close to the port. Antigua was not affected too much by hurricanes, only Barbuda. I would not consider fort james quiet though, its just not as crowded as dickenson bay, or valley church beach.

Thanks so much!

• 3 weeks later...
I am interested in a beach that has good snorkeling and shelling. Where would you suggest? We are a small group of 4 and one person in our party has some mobility issues so I think Valley Church is out :-(

I am interested in a beach that has good snorkeling and shelling. Where would you suggest? We are a small group of 4 and one person in our party has some mobility issues so I think Valley Church is out :-(

The combination of good Snorkeling and shells are not common in Antigua. The best beaches for Snorkeling with easy access would be Galleon Beach, and Pineapple Beach, in the order of preference.

The best beach for shells currently is Valley Church as you suggested. There is a beach called Shell beach that used to be great for finding shells; however, over the past few year the area has been a bit commercialize, i dont even think there is an accessible beach there anymore.

I think your plans can be accomplished if you are confident enough to rent a car and drive in Antigua, or hire a cab that is willing to do this for you.

Another option would be to find a tour operator. The only issue, in December, it is too busy for excursions to do wet and dry combo.

If you decide on Galleon beach, you should see me there on that day, i can always direct you on where you will see the most.

Currently we have over 26 sea turtles living permanently. It is fun hanging with them.

We do not feed, or touch them as they are endangered, we only observe them naturally.

The combination of good Snorkeling and shells are not common in Antigua. The best beaches for Snorkeling with easy access would be Galleon Beach, and Pineapple Beach, in the order of preference.

The best beach for shells currently is Valley Church as you suggested. There is a beach called Shell beach that used to be great for finding shells; however, over the past few year the area has been a bit commercialize, i dont even think there is an accessible beach there anymore.

I think your plans can be accomplished if you are confident enough to rent a car and drive in Antigua, or hire a cab that is willing to do this for you.

Another option would be to find a tour operator. The only issue, in December, it is too busy for excursions to do wet and dry combo.

If you decide on Galleon beach, you should see me there on that day, i can always direct you on where you will see the most.

Currently we have over 26 sea turtles living permanently. It is fun hanging with them.

We do not feed, or touch them as they are endangered, we only observe them naturally.

Thank you @skylork :-) I will pass this info to my small group in a couple of weeks when we start nailing down plans. How far from the port is Galleon Beach and Pineapple Beach. Estimated taxi fare. TY

Thank you @skylork :-) I will pass this info to my small group in a couple of weeks when we start nailing down plans. How far from the port is Galleon Beach and Pineapple Beach. Estimated taxi fare. TY

I think its about 50$ USD to either, a 45 minute drive from port.

If you decide on Galleon beach, you should see me there on that day, i can always direct you on where you will see the most. Currently we have over 26 sea turtles living permanently. It is fun hanging with them. We do not feed, or touch them as they are endangered, we only observe them naturally.

Good day! We will be visiting in late November. Would the turtles still be there or are they seasonal?

Thank you!

How lucky to have a local on for up to date info! Thx Skylork..

Coming in Feb. any beach sided hotels or resorts that do a package for the day? Would not go in the ocean, but would love to lay on a lounge in the shade, have a dip in their pool, and buy a drink and lunch. Need shade for sure. Anything come to mind?

• 3 weeks later...

Skylork

If we wanted to see some sights and Snorkel what tours would you suggest? I know you said Galleon (sp) for snorkeling. Or would we be better off renting a car? If renting how much do they run and how far are they from port?

How lucky to have a local on for up to date info! Thx Skylork..

Coming in Feb. any beach sided hotels or resorts that do a package for the day? Would not go in the ocean, but would love to lay on a lounge in the shade, have a dip in their pool, and buy a drink and lunch. Need shade for sure. Anything come to mind?

Nothing coming to mind for a cruise stop, most of the hotels do one day open house for a smaller fee than usually, but i'm not sure which is best at this time. I will have a look at Sandals, i think this might be the best option at the moment. I will find out the info and get in touch with you. Sorry for the late reply, only seeing this now

Skylork

If we wanted to see some sights and Snorkel what tours would you suggest? I know you said Galleon (sp) for snorkeling. Or would we be better off renting a car? If renting how much do they run and how far are they from port?

Snorkeling Antigua

http://www.snorkelingantigua.comhttp://snorkelingantigua.com

Scooter Snorkeling

http://www.skylork.comhttp://skylork.com

Stingray city

Snorkeling antigua is a shore snorkeling tour located at Galleon beach. The tour is done in the morning shortly after the cruiseship docks. It allows enough time after for seeing some more of Antigua. I know the gentleman personally, his name is Bernie. He is a great guide with years of experience. A fun person to be around too. Contact him if interested at: info@snorkelingantigua.com if you are interested.

Estimated spent on this trip:

Snorkeling trip for two: 1hrs -$120, 2hrs-$160

Pick up -$50

After tour- not sure (but can be arranged independently for $120)

Total: $290 - $330

Scooter Snorkeling is a new unique way to snorkel. The tour is also a shore snorkeling excursion which explores the waters at Galleon beach all the way to the Pillars of Hercules. Very similar to snorkeling antigua, only difference, you are being propelled by a handy sea scooter, similar to what you may have seen in a James bond film. This is our tour so i also know the owner personally :). Pick up and drop off is included in the price along with underwater photos. If you opt for an after tour, this service will be provided by a taxi at an additional rate.

Estimated amount spent on this trip are as follow:

Scoorrer snorkeling trip for 2: $200

After tour for 1-4 persons: $120

Total: $320

You can also hire a taxi from the port to take you to sting ray city. This is hard to estimate how much the cost will be overall because the taxis charge for waiting time. The entrance fee to sting ray city is $50 USD per person. The taxi will quote you an after tour price.

Renting a car will be the cheapest option, but not necessarily the best, only if you are great at exploring new places, or have google map accesable on your device (please download an offline map of all the countries you will visit on this cruise). A rent a car wont be more than $60 USD for a cruise stop. Insurance may be another 20$ temporary license another $20. $40 gas should be able to take you around the island.

Once you have google map, you will have an easy time making your way to Galleon beach. If you select this option, you can also contact us for advice in seeing the most at Galleon. It give great joy helping.

I hope this was informative enough, feel free to ask any other questions.

All prices mentioned are in US currency.

Skyler, can you recommend any private customizable tour guides? I thought about renting a van and going at it ourselves but the whole drivi f on the left and on the right of the car makes me nervous. We are a group of 8 ages 1.5 to 66 arriving in January. The 2 kids will be using car seats that we are bringing. We would like to do the donkey sanctuary, devils bridge, and a beach. Any suggestions? TIA

Skyler, can you recommend any private customizable tour guides? I thought about renting a van and going at it ourselves but the whole drivi f on the left and on the right of the car makes me nervous. We are a group of 8 ages 1.5 to 66 arriving in January. The 2 kids will be using car seats that we are bringing. We would like to do the donkey sanctuary, devils bridge, and a beach. Any suggestions? TIA

Hello Tia, yes this can be done. I just phone a driver who does tour from the port, he said the tour will have you see other places including the places you mentioned, with a beach stop. this will be $55 USD per person, kids ride for free. It will be fully private to your family.

you can contact me at info@skylork.com if you are interested in booking this tour.