Ne/canada shore excursion recommendations

Countrygurl

Our party of 4 women, myself, DM and 2 DA will be sailing on RC AOS in late August - early September. Need recommendations on excursions in Portland, Bar Harbour, Halifax and Saint John. Do you recommend RC excursions or booking our own? Excursions vs. winging it ourselves? Must sees and don't bothers?

Bar Harbor, Maine - is one of our favorite ports, really scenic, quintessential small town America.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTuM8HukrnjhCQxPup8-dq28kX8Wg45B0PKvxgR3KUiXGXNrI8A

Lovely town square with plenty of shops to browse. The giant Cadillac Mountain soars over all. The highest point along the North Atlantic sea board and the first place to see the sunrise from October 7 to March 6.

P1090120.jpg

9k=

Your ship will provide excursions there, you can also catch Ollie's Trolley right in town.

https://olistrolley.com

We also enjoyed a food walking tour in Bar Harbor a couple of years ago and have since returned to several of the venues on port stops in Bar Harbor.

www. maine foodie tours .com - the link doesn't work. The tour was great, not so much history but tasty stops along the way.

Halifax, Nova Scotia -

Is a terrific port, tons to see and do right in the city. Just outside the cruise terminal the Harbor Walk is scenic and takes you to the famous Maritime Museum with all sorts of sea going and Titanic exhibits too.

There are also some classic old steamers docked nearby that are open for tourists to explore.

The Citadel Fort is perched high on a hill overlooking Halifax. You can hike up there on foot, catch a cab or bus too probably. Lots of uniformed actors detailing the history of the place, a noon canon salute. You can also have afternoon tea here.

https://www.novascotia.com/see-do/attractions/halifax-citadel-national-historic-site/1440

Saint John, NB

The claim to fame for Saint John is the reversing tide. Beyond that there is not much to see in the city.

There is a local farmer's market about a fifteen minute walk from the pier designed in the shape of a ship's hull. It is the oldest continuously running market in Canada.

The claim to fame for Saint John is the reversing tide. Beyond that there is not much to see in the city.

There is a local farmer's market about a fifteen minute walk from the pier designed in the shape of a ship's hull. It is the oldest continuously running market in Canada.

800px-Saint_John2C_New_Brunswick_City_Market.jpg

We have never done an excursion here. But, the Hopewell "Flowerpot Rocks" seem interesting.

HopewellRocks_LowTide-2014_zps1cpoej7m.jpg

Portland, Maine - Went there once and walked around the town, it was scorching hot and we didn't stay out very long.

For a wealth of information on ports in New England/Canada and all over the world, check out Tom's Port Guides, they are free and busting with lots of great information.

Here's a link to the New England/Canada port guides:

https://www.tomsportguides.com/canadanew-england.html

Jonathan

Edited by cruiserking

Our party of 4 women, myself, DM and 2 DA will be sailing on RC AOS in late August - early September. Need recommendations on excursions in Portland, Bar Harbour, Halifax and Saint John. Do you recommend RC excursions or booking our own? Excursions vs. winging it ourselves? Must sees and don't bothers?

Boston...HOHO Bus....such a great driver no one wanted to hop off.

Bar Harbor...we booked online with Acadia National Park...amazing guide a park ranger for many years.

Portland....we just walked into town...Holy Donuts a must.

Halifax...Titanic Historical Tours with Paul McNeal...AMAZING !!!! (booked with a group on our rollcall.)

St John NB...Dave's Taxi Tours...another great guide. (booked with our rollcall).

This is what we opted to do on our Anthem cruise last October.

Thank you Jonathan!
Your Welcome Countrygurl. Also, the Public Gardens in Halifax, Nova Scotia are really beautiful. About a twenty-minute walk from the pier, gorgeous flowers, gazebos and places to grab a cold drink and relax.

There is also a great farmers market just next to the cruise terminal in Halifax with lots of local foods, crafts and some great Canadian wine too.

If you have a sweet tooth you must visit Rousseau's Chocolate Shop in Halifax. Just a ten-minute stroll from the Halifax terminal. These are really terrific artisinal chocolates, 5151 South Street, Halifax. We discovered it on a walking tour and go back on every port visit.

Jonathan

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Forums mobile app

Portland, don't waste time going to Fort Williams to see Portland Head Light, get up early before arrival, and watch the sail by, and get unique photos from the sea towards land of the lighthouse. Casco Bay mailboat run is a way to see the islands of Casco Bay, and learn about island life in Maine. Schooner sails on Casco Bay are nice as well. The Portland Observatory is the only remaining maritime signal tower, and gives great views of Casco Bay. For museums, Portland Museum of Art, Longfellow Home, Victorian Mansion. The Portland Fire Company does a tour of Portland on a vintage fire engine. Shipyard brewery tours.

And for heaven's sake, don't miss the food. Portland Lobster Co, Becky's Diner, Grill Room, Boone's Fish House and Oyster Room, Eventide Oyster, King's Head Pub, Duck Fat, and Nosh are all great (google them).

Portland, don't waste time going to Fort Williams to see Portland Head Light, get up early before arrival, and watch the sail by, and get unique photos from the sea towards land of the lighthouse. Casco Bay mailboat run is a way to see the islands of Casco Bay, and learn about island life in Maine. Schooner sails on Casco Bay are nice as well. The Portland Observatory is the only remaining maritime signal tower, and gives great views of Casco Bay. For museums, Portland Museum of Art, Longfellow Home, Victorian Mansion. The Portland Fire Company does a tour of Portland on a vintage fire engine. Shipyard brewery tours.

And for heaven's sake, don't miss the food. Portland Lobster Co, Becky's Diner, Grill Room, Boone's Fish House and Oyster Room, Eventide Oyster, King's Head Pub, Duck Fat, and Nosh are all great (google them).

Thank you!!!!

We do very few ship tours. You can do these ports on your own.

St Johns is one of the most depressing ports I’ve ever been to. We always ask why cruise ships stop here. It must be the geographic position.

We generally stay on board but in April we walked around the downtown, gloomy and old, There is really nothing to see. Someone said visit the local market, it was unremarkable and we were not buying groceries. Cigarette buts all over the sidewalk, it seemed half of the locals were smoking as they walked.

We talked to a couple friendly locals, felt sorry for them as they seemed down and out. Years ago we saw the reversing rapids, which were unimpressive due to the tide.

In Portland , turn left out of the port and walk a couple blocks and you will see local trolley companies. They have interesting city tours that include the lighthouse. Inexpensive tours. This is a wonderful port.

In Bar Harbour book Ollie’s trolley, very inexpensive tours into Acadia. You can book online or in port. Check the website.

Halifax is very worthwhile. We’ve used a well known guide named Paul McNeil, who gives a great tour. You will see the fort, a public garden, the Titanic cemetery, a fisherman’s village and more,

Has anyone gone to Kennebunkport from Portland? Any hints of what to see and how to get there and back will be appreciated.

Kennebunkport is 40 minutes each way from Portland on the Interstate. If you want to go the scenic route, it is an hour on Route 1, but you would be able to stop and see things along the way. The only way I know of to get there is renting a car, or taking a ship's excursion.

Not much really to see in Kennebunkport, other than try to see Walker's Point, or the Nubble lighthouse. Portland has better food and beverage choices. Kennebunkport is a small town, lots of large houses on the coast, and small houses inland, just like most coastal Maine towns.

Thanks for your help! I don't think we'll use our time to go there!

quote=chengkp75;56381693]Kennebunkport is 40 minutes each way from Portland on the Interstate. If you want to go the scenic route, it is an hour on Route 1, but you would be able to stop and see things along the way. The only way I know of to get there is renting a car, or taking a ship's excursion.

Not much really to see in Kennebunkport, other than try to see Walker's Point, or the Nubble lighthouse. Portland has better food and beverage choices. Kennebunkport is a small town, lots of large houses on the coast, and small houses inland, just like most coastal Maine towns.

Boston...HOHO Bus....such a great driver no one wanted to hop off.

Do you know how far the HOHO bus goes? I was wanting to go to Little Italy but didn't know if the bus would got that far or if I would have to catch a cab or uber. Also does anyone know where Carnival would dock when in port. I am having a hard time find this info to see where I can walk and when I should take a cab.

Edited by ms1badtk

Do you know how far the HOHO bus goes? I was wanting to go to Little Italy but didn't know if the bus would got that far or if I would have to catch a cab or uber. Also does anyone know where Carnival would dock when in port. I am having a hard time find this info to see where I can walk and when I should take a cab.

I assume you mean for Boston. Click on this link and then click on maps on the top of the page.

https://www.trolleytours.com/boston/hop-on-hop-off

For docking, there is only one pier for cruise ships in Boston, the Raymond L. Flynn Black Falcon Cruise Terminal, to give it its official title. It is on Google Maps.

For HOHO maps, try:

https://www.trolleytours.com/boston/hop-on-hop-off for the Old Town Trolley

https://www.hop-on-hop-off-bus.com/boston-bus-tours for the Boston Bus HOHO tours

https://bostonsupertours.com/upper-deck-trolley-tours/ for the Boston Supertours

For docking, there is only one pier for cruise ships in Boston, the Raymond L. Flynn Black Falcon Cruise Terminal, to give it its official title. It is on Google Maps.

For HOHO maps, try:

https://www.trolleytours.com/boston/hop-on-hop-off for the Old Town Trolley

https://www.hop-on-hop-off-bus.com/boston-bus-tours for the Boston Bus HOHO tours

https://bostonsupertours.com/upper-deck-trolley-tours/ for the Boston Supertours

thank you so much for the info this helps a lot.

Tina :)

From advice here on CC, we rented cars in Portland, Halifax and Saint John and I had planned out our itinerary in each Port.

I thought about doing this but I worry about parking and how it is? I was worried there would be a lot of parrallel parking and I will be honest I don’t know how to bringing from Houston we dont have to parrallel Park.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I thought about doing this but I worry about parking and how it is? I was worried there would be a lot of parrallel parking and I will be honest I don’t know how to bringing from Houston we dont have to parrallel Park.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It's not just the parking, traffic and directions. We prefer to book private tours...why stick one of you driving when a professional can and knows where their going the best ways to get there and amazing commentary as you go.

You will not have to parallel park. You would be going outside the cities. There will be lots of easier parking.

• 1 month later...

A friends daughter gave me the following info:

"things to do in Portland :

breweries: if you like to imbibe or enjoy brewed beverages I recommend checking out some of the local breweries ie Allagash, shipyard, urban farm fermentory (all accessible either by walking or uber). or pay $70/each for a few hours guided tour that includes transportation, food, beverage samples and a commemorative bag

lighthouses: since you are carless I recommend a tour such as the “lighthouse lovers” boat tour by portland discovery nearby to where the cruise ship docks or tenders and there are directions on their website $19/each

food/foodies: Portland has an awesome and evolving food scene. clearly lobster and seafood are big! you can explore fan faves on your own which are nearby to the port, such as Duckfat, Holy Donut, Eventide Oyster Co, or Portland Lobster Co. or you could pay about $70/ each for a guided tour. they offer culinary walking tours, lunchtime lobster crawl or a harbor cruise and lobster picnic.

sightseeing: if you’d like to get a good tour of Portland I recommend Portland Fire Engine Co. They offer a 50 minute guided sightseeing tour aboard an old-fashioned fire engine truck. they hit all the local highlights and is a good deal at $24/each. also the ride starts and ends right in the old port area on Commercial Street, so you can shop, eat and explore before or after your ride. here is info for cruise passengers from their website:

active: if you are craving something active to do, Portland offers a beautiful eastern promenade with pathways to walk and a beach to enjoy can be reached by uber. or it would be fun to take the ferry over to peaks island from the casco bay lines/ for $7.70/each round trip and rent a sea kayak or bike on the island to explore. a recommendation for kayaks is maine island kayak they offer guided kayak tours of a half day tour to see lighthouses, islands, and wildlife for $65/each for a tandem kayak or a sunset tour for $65/each for a tandem kayak. or you could rent bikes and helmets from brads bike rental and repair.. for about $10/each/hour to explore the island. people rave about the sights and the eerie historical location of BatterySteelee, a WWII era military fortification on the island. both rental shops are walking distance from the ferry.

art: as Skylar said it would be awesome to enjoy a paint session at muse paint bar where they work you can visit the website to see if any sessions are going on the day(s) you are here and book them if you want. The studio is walking distance from the docks, and is located on the same street- Commercial Street. if you would like to check out the local art museum, admission is $15/each for adults or there is a deal on groupon (free app) for 2 adults admissions for $15.50 instead!"

We are doing Bar Harbor by air with Scenic Tours of Acadia. This is something different that will always stay with us!

Hope the information helps! Enjoy your trip!

Edited by LGNYcamper
websites included