Utterly Frustrated and Confused By Celebrity’s Policies!!

kcdionysus

I am a Australian and book in US. Reason on the plus side it gives me flexibility minus is the exchange rate. Most times even with the exchange rate it is still cheaper to book in US. If not I transfer booking to something else in the future. Obviously this has to happen before final payment and any flight bookings.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

Would I have different treatment as a UK citizen if I booked via a US site??

Do a search and you will find many posts over the past few years explaining the difference. You can book in the US - I’ve been doing it for years - with no problem.

I’ve been saying the same mantra for quite a long time on here (I can see the eye rolling from the regulars :D): ‘check on both sides of the pond before you book and if you decide to book in the U.K., you have to be happy with your initial reservation T&C/pricing because it’s highly unlikely that you will be able to make any changes without penalties’.

We did used to get price drops in the U.K., however, they stopped quite a few years ago ;).

Do a search and you will find many posts over the past few years explaining the difference. You can book in the US - I’ve been doing it for years - with no problem.

I’ve been saying the same mantra for quite a long time on here (I can see the eye rolling from the regulars :D): ‘check on both sides of the pond before you book and if you decide to book in the U.K., you have to be happy with your initial reservation T&C/pricing because it’s highly unlikely that you will be able to make any changes without penalties’.

We did used to get price drops in the U.K., however, they stopped quite a few years ago ;).

I think there was a time when the cruises were just released that you were guaranteed a price drop if it happened. The problem was that the cruises were overpriced at that time with no "perks".

I always look at the cost via US agents but often shy away because of the potential currency variations. We did it once a number of years ago when the US were offering free drinks packages and the UK was not.

We normally book on board and it gets referred back to our TA. We get the OBC to use either on the current cruise or future ones and get 5% off from out TA and that extra usually is around 10% of the cruise price in total which usually make up the price difference between the UK and US.

The only problem is if you get all 4 perks booking on board in a suite, most of our costs are covered other than a few speciality restaurants and you end up buying stuff you really don't need. Ended up with another pair of sunglasses to add to the pile and a new camera that I really didn't need.

Ended up using what was left as extra gratuities.

Most US travel agents are only allowed to make a Celebrity booking if there is a US or Canadian resident or citizen in the stateroom.

I have yet to come across a US TA who has refused or been unable to book a Celebrity Cruise for me. We are neither from USA nor Canada nor do we pretend to be!

No problem to book and we fully disclose our nationality and personal information.

Reservations can also be made directly with Celebrity USA. No problem whatsoever.

I think there was a time when the cruises were just released that you were guaranteed a price drop if it happened. The problem was that the cruises were overpriced at that time with no "perks".

No, UK TAs used to honour price drops (obviously under X’s instructions) irrelevant to when you booked. It was the same system as the US and then it stopped over here ;).

Since we’re all in the same boat, sort of speak, it would make sense to me that rules would be the same regardless of nationality. But, it does not seem to be the case.

Therefore, does anyone know, if the mentioned differences regarding processing of booked passengers in the event of a price change are the result of a Celebrity policy or local/regional government rules/regulations?

And, if a Celebrity policy is the factor, is it know why?

I am very curious and interested by this issue! Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Since we’re all in the same boat, sort of speak, it would make sense to me that rules would be the same regardless of nationality. But, it does not seem to be the case.

Therefore, does anyone know, if the mentioned differences regarding processing of booked passengers in the event of a price change are the result of a Celebrity policy or local/regional government rules/regulations?

And, if a Celebrity policy is the factor, is it know why?

I am very curious and interested by this issue! Thanks in advance!

X’s T&Cs (same for Royal). Just in the same way as we have non-refundable deposits and the US don’t. Or the GTY bookings in the US are allowed to choose another cabin in the same category if one doesn’t like the allocation - unlike a U.K. GTY where you have to keep what you are given. The differences have been recorded on various posts over the years and they also highlight the added flexibility of reserving in the US.

As I stated previously, do a search and you will find many, many posts about the booking differences. If you are waiting for it to change, then I wouldn’t hold my breath for any time soon!

X’s T&Cs (same for Royal). Just in the same way as we have non-refundable deposits and the US don’t. Or the GTY bookings in the US are allowed to choose another cabin in the same category if one doesn’t like the allocation - unlike a U.K. GTY where you have to keep what you are given. The differences have been recorded on various posts over the years and they also highlight the added flexibility of reserving in the US.

As I stated previously, do a search and you will find many, many posts about the booking differences. If you are waiting for it to change, then I wouldn’t hold my breath for any time soon!

I have read about this in previous posts and I believe I understand the outcome. What I am curious about is why the difference?

Did your research allow you to find out?

Would I have different treatment as a UK citizen if I booked via a US site??

We have a lot of family in the UK, two years ago cousins booked a Hong Kong to Shangahi cruise and then invited us to join them. We booked it here in the US. After final payment the prices dropped and we were able to upgrade from a veranda to CC for no charge. Actually could have upped to A2 but then we could not eat with the cousins. Once we were finally on the cruise we booked another cruise for the next year, booked it together and had it assigned to my US TA. When the price dropped $250 per cabin we both got the price drop with one quick phone call to the TA. So, find a cousin in the US, use their address and book in the US :D:)

We have a lot of family in the UK, two years ago cousins booked a Hong Kong to Shangahi cruise and then invited us to join them. We booked it here in the US. After final payment the prices dropped and we were able to upgrade from a veranda to CC for no charge. Actually could have upped to A2 but then we could not eat with the cousins. Once we were finally on the cruise we booked another cruise for the next year, booked it together and had it assigned to my US TA. When the price dropped $250 per cabin we both got the price drop with one quick phone call to the TA. So, find a cousin in the US, use their address and book in the US :D:)

You don’t need to have a cousin in the US, they can book via a US TA quite easily - been doing it for years ;).

I have read about this in previous posts and I believe I understand the outcome. What I am curious about is why the difference?

Simple answer: because they can. Most U.K. pax are totally unaware of the differences.

I would like to go on record as being available, for long lost relatives.... especially those who will invite me to join them in the Iconic Suite... no matter the destination... :halo:

bon voyage

Simple answer: because they can. Most U.K. pax are totally unaware of the differences.

Short answer; Jenny (villauk) is spot on.

Longer answer: This is a policy decision by Celebrity UK. There is no government legislation that I am aware of that prohibits refundable deposits or price drops, irrespective of consumer protection. What is likely to be at play is that Celebrity has determined what the local market will bear to maximise profits. I do not know what the actual cost of consumer protection is to Celebrity UK but it is possible that this is used to factor in a projection of total potential 'losses' in operating costs and hence decision not to allow price drops etc.

As a side note, I have read that the reason Princess and Carnival have the same policy is the background of a hostile takeover of British company P & O by Princess/Carnival. v RCI. This in order to protect the UK travel industry interests.

Can anyone speak to other cruise lines that have the same/similar policy on deposits and cancellations?

I, for one, would be interested in knowing which ones that do as either a pattern or policy.

bon voyage

No. In my experience it depends on when the price drop occurs; in the US after final payment you can’t get a price drop but can upgrade to a higher category cabin if it costs more than you have paid. That amount could be $5 more could be much more.

Unfortunately, that's not always true either as I found out several days ago. We were willing to pay $700+ more but we're told our additional booking was part of a package deal, and that didn't allow us to upgrade and keep our perk. That killed the deal . We would have left a wonderful A1 cabin which I'm sure celebrity would not have had any trouble booking. Fortunately, we are extremely happy with the status quo but sure would have liked to move up to a suite.

Edited by BosoxI

Sometimes you gotta be careful what you wish for though, as far “find cousin in the us to book for you”.

We’ve gone through a nightmare sailing with celebrity this past January, with zero compensation. The Argentina passengers on board were able to sue and reach a settlement for a refund, Australians and UK pac are in the process of doing the same.

Those of us who booked in USA though are subject to the small print you accept (and don’t read and can’t do anything about) at booking, which means we can’t do a darn thing by default.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can anyone speak to other cruise lines that have the same/similar policy on deposits and cancellations?

I, for one, would be interested in knowing which ones that do as either a pattern or policy.

bon voyage

This is not a cruiseline policy per se

Most travel agents whether land based holidays or cruises tend to have non refundable deposits this goes back to the inception of package holidays. There is no law against having non refundable deposits as long as it is spelled out in the terms and conditions.

American cruiselines in the UK used to have price drops but coincidentally:rolleyes: this ended when Thomson travel agency (TUI) made a big push into the cruise market with the help of RCI.

Thomson are also the largest player on the board of the Association Of British Travel Agents (ABTA) which sets policy and guidelines for all it's members and lobbies the UK Government in how it sets out it's travel policies and regulations. All the cruiselines selling in the UK market are members of ABTA.

Travel agents/tour operators/cruiselines are required by law to have either insurance or a bond set a side to protect the customers money should the travel agent/tour operator/cruiseline fail ABTA runs these schemes for it's members.

Travel agents/tour operators/cruiselines do not have to be a member of ABTA to operate as long as the necessary insurance/bond are in place

To the OP unfortunately it is what it is. 5-10 years ago you could have probably have changed to the new promo as cruiselines were desperate to enlarge the UK market. Nowadays there is not the same need to be as generous.

Had a pretty generic response from a complaint I made to Celebrity that didn’t actually answer my questions so I’ve sent the questions again.

It really grates on me. It feels like the admin side of the business doesn’t care a jot yet the operational side do all they can to ensure their passengers have a good experience. I’m not holdIng out much hope that things will change. It’s a shame but I guess I’ll be swerving all RCI companies whenever I can.

This is not a cruiseline policy per se

Most travel agents whether land based holidays or cruises tend to have non refundable deposits this goes back to the inception of package holidays. There is no law against having non refundable deposits as long as it is spelled out in the terms and conditions.

American cruiselines in the UK used to have price drops but coincidentally:rolleyes: this ended when Thomson travel agency (TUI) made a big push into the cruise market with the help of RCI.

Thomson are also the largest player on the board of the Association Of British Travel Agents (ABTA) which sets policy and guidelines for all it's members and lobbies the UK Government in how it sets out it's travel policies and regulations. All the cruiselines selling in the UK market are members of ABTA.

Travel agents/tour operators/cruiselines are required by law to have either insurance or a bond set a side to protect the customers money should the travel agent/tour operator/cruiseline fail ABTA runs these schemes for it's members.

Travel agents/tour operators/cruiselines do not have to be a member of ABTA to operate as long as the necessary insurance/bond are in place

To the OP unfortunately it is what it is. 5-10 years ago you could have probably have changed to the new promo as cruiselines were desperate to enlarge the UK market. Nowadays there is not the same need to be as generous.

Nomad - thank you very much for the explanation on how the UK travel system operates.

Warmest regards and look to sail with you again soon.

Bon voyage

Sometimes you gotta be careful what you wish for though, as far “find cousin in the us to book for you”.

We’ve gone through a nightmare sailing with celebrity this past January, with zero compensation. The Argentina passengers on board were able to sue and reach a settlement for a refund, Australians and UK pac are in the process of doing the same.

Those of us who booked in USA though are subject to the small print you accept (and don’t read and can’t do anything about) at booking, which means we can’t do a darn thing by default.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What happened that was actionable?

bon voyage

As far as the differences between UK and US bookings HAL and Princess are similar. Though I believe that they are even more restrictive when it comes to non-US residents booking under US terms.

Several years ago RCCL and celebrity instituted a program call Double/Double. That is where they double their revenue and profits. The bottom line is they no longer care about the customer as X once did when under the Greek ownership of Chandris. So understand if it doesn't add to their bottom line, they don't care about you. Simply stated, accept it or move on.