Traditional vs Select Dining

workingtocruise-59

My understanding of the OP’s initial post is that he is currently assigned Late Dining. He is waitlisted for Select but he is currently booked under Traditional. As such, he cannot select his dining times in the MDR. He can only make specialty dining reservations. Otherwise his assigned MDR time is 8:45. There is nothing he can do about this on the website. Only if he is able to switch from Late to Select will he be able to make MDR reservations.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My understanding of the OP’s initial post is that he is currently assigned Late Dining. He is waitlisted for Select but he is currently booked under Traditional. As such, he cannot select his dining times in the MDR. He can only make specialty dining reservations. Otherwise his assigned MDR time is 8:45. There is nothing he can do about this on the website. Only if he is able to switch from Late to Select will he be able to make MDR reservations.

I agree. That's why I questioned it in my earlier posts (#7 and #13). Like being assigned TD but once on the ship try to be seated in SD. Not happening.

Well, that's a horse of a different colour! Sorry, I misread his initial posts. Of course he cannot access SD if he is booked into traditional. You, of course, are correct, he needs to switch to SD before he is able to make reservations.

I agree. That's why I questioned it in my earlier posts (#7 and #13). Like being assigned TD but once on the ship try to be seated in SD. Not happening.

Hello

My booking states :-

Traditional Dining

Seating 8.45pm

Time Waitlist -

Cel Slct

I understood this to mean we had TD and were waitlisted for SD. But perhaps I am wrong as I am able to book SD for each night.

We have only enjoyed one previous X cruise and then we had SD and just turned up each night so I am a little confused about which type of dining is on our booking.

Edited by workingtocruise-59

Well, that's a horse of a different colour! Sorry, I misread his initial posts. Of course he cannot access SD if he is booked into traditional. You, of course, are correct, he needs to switch to SD before he is able to make reservations.

I thought we were assigned TD at 8.45pm but , nonetheless, I was still able to book reservations each night for SD?

PS I am a she and not a he but one, obviously, cannot deduce that from my posts!

• Like 1

Hello

My booking states :-

Traditional Dining

Seating 8.45pm

Time Waitlist -

Cel Slct

I understood this to mean we had TD and were waitlisted for SD. But perhaps I am wrong as I am able to book SD for each night.

We have only enjoyed one previous X cruise and then we had SD and just turned up each night so I am a little confused about which type of dining is on our booking.

Hi...What does your CP and calendar say you have for dining? SD or TD? Obviously I'm the one confused on how you could be waitlisted for SD with reservations and have TD with assigned seating time. :confused: I'm the Dave half of davekathy…:D

Can I ask a really dumb question, please? First timer. What’s the difference between traditional and select dining? Our booking says dining time: Anytime. When I go into the Planner, I can book Specialty restaurants, but can’t do anything else that I can see. I followed the instructions above, and don’t have Select dining as an option.

Can I ask a really dumb question, please? First timer. What’s the difference between traditional and select dining? Our booking says dining time: Anytime. When I go into the Planner, I can book Specialty restaurants, but can’t do anything else that I can see. I followed the instructions above, and don’t have Select dining as an option.

If you don't know, its not a 'dumb question'!

Traditional...1st and 2nd sitting at the same table, with same wait staff, same people at table at a fixed time every night. Sitting times usually about 6.30pm and 8.30pm, but it does vary from ship to ship and location (especially in the Med).

Select...(or Anytime) ... no set sitting times. Theoretically you can go to dinner anytime between 6.30 and 9.00, though the popular times (say 7 to 8) are very popular and therefore busy. You sometimes have to wait 10-15 minutes, even with a reservation (even though you theoretically don't need a reservation!). So it is best if you can, to book your preferred time before sailing.

You can't switch between Trad and Select, but you can book a Speciality restaurant (at a price) any time you want assuming there are reservations left. If you do Trad dining, please tell your table mates the night before if you are doing a speciality, as it saves them waiting for you.

Of course, the Oceanview buffet is always open for evening meals (and good they are too!) if you want a more relaxed atmosphere...especially after a tiring day!

Hope that is all clear as mud and answers your query!

As to you not having 'Select' as an option on your planner, I can't answer that. I have just checked our cruise planner and Select does come up as an option. Obviously Celeb's website is playing silly buggers again!

Simon

And that would explain why I can't book select dining. I couldn't understand why working to cruise - 59 could as they stated they were in the same slot as me.

The one thing I will say in defense of traditional dining is the luck we have had with tablemates. We are a small family of three.

With traditional dining, we were assigned tablemates with a child or children about the same age as ours. It seemed we always had a lot in common to talk about. The kids were shy at first, then bonded throughout the cruise. One time we stayed so long talking the waiters had to ask us to leave so they could get ready for the next seating.

With open dining, either we were given a table for just us, or we were placed at a large table where they had open spots at the moment--usually with retirees or couples. It seemed like we never had much in common. A few times it even felt like we were all rushing to get out of there.

If you don't know, its not a 'dumb question'!

Traditional...1st and 2nd sitting at the same table, with same wait staff, same people at table at a fixed time every night. Sitting times usually about 6.30pm and 8.30pm, but it does vary from ship to ship and location (especially in the Med).

Select...(or Anytime) ... no set sitting times. Theoretically you can go to dinner anytime between 6.30 and 9.00, though the popular times (say 7 to 8) are very popular and therefore busy. You sometimes have to wait 10-15 minutes, even with a reservation (even though you theoretically don't need a reservation!). So it is best if you can, to book your preferred time before sailing.

You can't switch between Trad and Select, but you can book a Speciality restaurant (at a price) any time you want assuming there are reservations left. If you do Trad dining, please tell your table mates the night before if you are doing a speciality, as it saves them waiting for you.

Of course, the Oceanview buffet is always open for evening meals (and good they are too!) if you want a more relaxed atmosphere...especially after a tiring day!

Hope that is all clear as mud and answers your query!

As to you not having 'Select' as an option on your planner, I can't answer that. I have just checked our cruise planner and Select does come up as an option. Obviously Celeb's website is playing silly buggers again!

Simon

Thanks so much for the great explanation, Simon. I’ll have another go at the website later, and call Celeb if I get stuck.

Sorry if this has already been covered (didn't read through the whole thread) but you can request a table for 2 (or just the number in your party) in either traditional or select dining if you prefer that to a group situation.

Yes you can. Check with your TA and they should request that for you.

Den