Soujourn Deck Repairs - Update

billichka

Envirochick, has anyone in management onboard right now addressed the issue or stated that the planned repairs will take place on the cruise Departing on Sept. 11th. The rotting smell sound very horrible and not something one wishes to encounter on a “luxury” cruise ship.

I have not spoken to anyone about this issue, simply reporting back what I’m seeing while onboard. My opinion is that the deck cannot be repaired while sailing. It requires extensive work. I can’t imagine it would be fixed in the next few days prior to your cruise. Regardless of this issue, make no mistake this is still a luxury cruise experience.

Envirochick,

From what has been posted on another thread, a passenger who wil be on the Sept. 11th voyage has been given a $250 OBC to make up for any inconvenience experienced as they perform the deck repairs during this cruise. Many have commented that because of how extensive the damage they believe it can only be done while in dry dock. I guess only time will tell. If you hear of any further updates, please post. Thanks

Envirochick,

From what has been posted on another thread, a passenger who wil be on the Sept. 11th voyage has been given a $250 OBC to make up for any inconvenience experienced as they perform the deck repairs during this cruise. Many have commented that because of how extensive the damage they believe it can only be done while in dry dock. I guess only time will tell. If you hear of any further updates, please post. Thanks

Well, it seems they should know more than I. I surely will post if I hear more. Have a fabulous cruise, airtana.

• 2 weeks later...
Far more concerning in my opinion, is the rotting smell in certain places on the pool deck. We completely avoid those areas. That is something that absolute warrants repair.

We were on the same cruise (didn't meet, or at least know we did? ;-) but never noticed a rotting or mildew smell. We had lunch or snacks at the Patio Grill at least half of the cruise so we were definitely in the pool area, though if just lounging we normally went up above the Sky Bar. We noticed crew trying to epoxy and do other fixes a couple times. Nope, not gonna work.....[it was oddly soothing to walk over the smooshy areas and see the water squirt up. Just me?]

We were on the same cruise (didn't meet, or at least know we did? ;-) but never noticed a rotting or mildew smell. We had lunch or snacks at the Patio Grill at least half of the cruise so we were definitely in the pool area, though if just lounging we normally went up above the Sky Bar. We noticed crew trying to epoxy and do other fixes a couple times. Nope, not gonna work.....[it was oddly soothing to walk over the smooshy areas and see the water squirt up. Just me?]

Lol, Hoya. Just you! Squishy was not comforting to us. The smell was very prominent the first few days on the side of the pool away from the bar/food. Mainly in one back corner; it did improve as time went on. Still a great cruise and we enjoyed Seabourn overall. How did you think they stacked up?

Update - onboard now...

The deck was squishy and stinky in places upon boarding with the repairs commencing early in the cruise.

A large tent was set up over the area to be repaired that day with no noise at all being heard whilst having lunch at the Patio Grill.

The repairs have had no impact on our cruise experience whatsoever! They were on the final section last time I walked past and the repaired areas are flat and freshly sanded.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As I recall when we were on Sojourn in January of this year, the problem was evident then. And since then numerous attempts were made to repair areas of the deck. Hopefully this fix has a different and a final successful outcome after all these months.

Happy and healthy sailing!

I’m sceptical but really hope it works this time. Everything I’ve seen and read points at the exact same repair works as they did earlier in the year during our 74 night cruise. Those repairs lasted about 3 months. Fingers crossed it’s different this time!

Why didn’t they finish the job? The colours are different. I would not permit this in my home if that was my deck. Are they replacing the teak to the right?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Teak lightens as it ages, AND "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" ? ;)

Teak lightens as it ages, AND "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" ? ;)

Yes, I understand teak and it’s properties. Our outdoor teak gets treated annually so that it does not go grey. My point was...if you are replacing 90% of the deck, why not go 3 feet more and complete the job?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by Sunprince

This deck issue has been going on since February. When we did Alaska in July, it was still an issue - yes squishy and smelly, oozing a muddy water if you stood on some of the planks. Pot plants in place to cover up. It was not so much an issue on an Alaskan cruise, but if it is not fixed for the upcoming South Pacific run, guests will not be happy.

This deck issue has been going on since February. When we did Alaska in July, it was still an issue - yes squishy and smelly, oozing a muddy water if you stood on some of the planks. Pot plants in place to cover up. It was not so much an issue on an Alaskan cruise, but if it is not fixed for the upcoming South Pacific run, guests will not be happy.

I am boarding in Vancouver a week from tomorrow for the 8 day Pacific Coastal, hopefully the deck will be fine and dandy. Our team trivia mascot is going to be Otto the Otter! 97c660655e5267eea5f98b6824abda48.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk