Key West Help please

conandrob240

we just booked a Cuba cruise leaving in 5 days. I’m sure my Qs are answered in here somewhere but time is if the essence so please indulge me!

On NCL Sun. We dock at 3pm.

First, where does NCL dock?

Any good map you can point me to?

We would like to walk around the Old a Town seeing a few sights maybe shopping and a bar. We aren’t interested in a “tour” and we don’t need to see the beaches.

Is the old town walkable from the pier?

Our intent is to just spend 3-4 hours and then eat dinner back on the ship

The Norwegian Sun docks at the Outer Mole pier which is located behind US Navy property so you will be transported to/from by tram to Front Street.

You will be right at the end of Duval St the main tourist area in Key West with the most bars, shopping and restaurants.

Maps will be plentiful when disembarking.

Mike:)

You can discover quite a bit within about a 6 - 8 square block area. Pick up the lower end of Whitehead just off the docks taking note of the Customs House (the big red building on your left) and its statuary.

Along Whitehead make not of the Audubon house with its free gift shop with reproductions of his work, then the Green Parrot bar and the Mile 0 sign for a photo. Continue on till you pass the Hemingway house at 907 and take a look in through the gates or over the wall. (an interesting side note here is that the son of the man who built that wall still lives in Key West - "Dink" Bruce. Hemingway gave him that nickname because of his small stature). On the corner of Whitehead and Petronia is the new Blue Macaw which would be a nice place for lunch of a make-your-own Bloody Mary. And there's a lot to discover walking 2 - 3 blocks along Petronia.

Then you have a choice. Continue up Whitehead to see the Southernmost Point or cut back over to Duval for the return walk. Or, better, walk across Duval to Simonton and make a left and walk along here, one of the nicest sections of Old Town. A highlight is the Curry Mansion on the left. Then you could walk all the way to the Key West Bight and along there for views of the harbor and any boats going out for a snorkel or kayak trip. Don't miss Kermit's to sample key lime things, and Lazy Way Lane.

Pjk

Perfect! Thank you so much.

I guess the Navy base location is the reason for the horror stories I’ve been reading about disembarking from the Sun? Let’s hope they resolved it this week.

Horror Stories?

Your ship will still dock at the Outer Mole and you will ride the tram to Front St. That is not likely to change in the foreseeable future. There will be several trains/trolleys so it shouldn't be more than a few minutes wait on either end.

Mike:)

Perfect! Thank you so much.

I guess the Navy base location is the reason for the horror stories I’ve been reading about disembarking from the Sun? Let’s hope they resolved it this week.

Is Key West your last port before you return to Miami? If it is everyone on the ship will have to go through immigration before they leave the ship. That does take awhile. That might be the "horror" you are referring to. Actually it isn't so bad, just time consuming.

If Key West is your first port after Miami, all you have to do is leave the ship and get on one of the free trams to Old Town, a ride of less than fifteen minutes. You are not permitted to just walk it because you will be going through US Navy property.

Recent reviews suggest that NCL had long lines to get a "ticket" to disembark in Key West. Then hour long lines to actually get off the ship with no one looking at the tickets. That is the "horror" I'm referring to.

Okay that explains it then. It is a NCL problem.