Best Key Lime Pie?

allen.crawford

There are two places I have found through research in which we can buy a whole key lime pie:

1. Key Lime Pie Company

2. La Dichosa Bakery

I am wondering:

a) Which place is better?

b) Is there another place we should buy from?

c) What hours are these places open?

Of course, any other suggestions or information will GREATLY be appreciated!

In my humble but very well experienced opinion, you can't beat La Dinoschsa's value...the pie is 8 bucks compared to 16 or so for blonde giraffe and as far as I am concerned there is no comparison in taste...the cuban bakery is the real thing! One word of caution, they close by noon or so and sometimes run out, so put it on your early morning to do list...they are open before 7am.....White Street between Catherine and United.

Clay - a key west local

• 1 month later...

I have been reading great things about this place! Can anyone tell me which stop (if any) on the Old Town Trolley would get me here? Or is it walking distance from the port? Thanks!

It is a fairly easy walk. I suggest good walking shoes in Key West because other forms of transportation seem to do hard to find certain times of the day. Have fun and try the pie slice dipped in chocolate.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have heard that there are no limes from Key west actually used in the making of the pies.

It's just a tourist thing to eat/get pies there as the lime juice comes from elsewhere.

True/false and/or does it make any difference?

:confused:

I have heard that there are no limes from Key west actually used in the making of the pies.

It's just a tourist thing to eat/get pies there as the lime juice comes from elsewhere.

True/false and/or does it make any difference?

:confused:

Key Limes are a little sweeter than regular, Persian, limes IMO. Either kind can be used to make pies. Most of us however use the store bought "Nellie and Joes" brand that you can buy just about anywhere. We save our Key Limes for drinks. :) Did you know you can freeze limes? Just pop them in a zip lock bag. When you want fresh lime juice, put the lime in the microwave for about 20 seconds. Since we have 4 lime trees on our property, 3 Key Lime and one Persian, our freezer is always full!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I've been researching some restaurants and places to shop in Key West for our visit in August. The Blonde Giraffe keeps coming up as the best place to have key lime pie. Last night on the Food network they did a show on the best foods on a stick and right up there with corn dogs was frozen key lime pie on a stick from the Blonde Giraffe.

Anyone been there??? Is it as great as it sounds???? I love key lime pie and plan to buy several bottles of key lime juice to take home to make my pies.

dondonma

In my opinion, and I am a very picky eater, The Blond Giraffe has THE best Key Lime Pie. My husband and I have been to Key West twice in the last year and have tried many places. We even tried the bakery that Clay prefers. I think The Blond Giraffe is better. I will be heading straight there when we go again in December. Good luck testing!!

Nanners

I've been researching some restaurants and places to shop in Key West for our visit in August. The Blonde Giraffe keeps coming up as the best place to have key lime pie. Last night on the Food network they did a show on the best foods on a stick and right up there with corn dogs was frozen key lime pie on a stick from the Blonde Giraffe.

Anyone been there??? Is it as great as it sounds???? I love key lime pie and plan to buy several bottles of key lime juice to take home to make my pies.

dondonma

The Blonde Giraffe has GREAT pies, but very expensive. Take a step down a bit and you can get a whole pie for about $8.00 at Publix. A whole pie at the Giraffe is close to $30.

The best Key Lime Juice is "Nellie & Joe's Key West Lime Juice". It's distributed throughout the US so it might be available at home. Go HERE and select your state to see where to find it.

Don't plan on buying a whole pie because it would never make it home........YUM ! ! !

Do plan on buying Nellie & Joes's Key Lime juice when we get back from the cruise and head over to Clearwater......Publix is my favorite grocery store in FL, wish they were up north.

dondonma

I stick by my guns that I prefer the pie at Dionoscia (spelled way wrong) Cuban Bakery on White Street over Blonde Giraffe. However, I will add a caveat - the pie I bought last week was not nearly as tasty as they have been in the past. Not sure if the regular maker is away on vacation or what, but I was sorta disappointed...that being said, the $8 buck pie was still better than the 30 buck one from Giraffe if I look at the cost.....and any of them are better than the one from Publix!

Clay - a key west local

...the $8 buck pie was still better than the 30 buck one from Giraffe if I look at the cost.....and any of them are better than the one from Publix!

Clay - a key west local

Clay - I'm just using the Publix pie to compare prices. That pie would indeed set the bottom rung of the price scale.

Wonder what happened to the pie at La Dichosa?