en Encore

rols

Greetings from the good ship Encore out of Barcelona, full to the gunwales as far as I can tell.

Ship's lovely, really just a slightly bigger O class, everything new, but everything familiar.

There was the usual long sit down at the Colonnade on embarkation and the wait staff seemed a little on the harried side, never did get a water refill. Mrs Rols tried both the red and the white wine on offer but found them both lacking so we'll see what else is on the list. I went straight for the Nicholas Gut-rot, it's a known evil.

They are taking the 1 TK reservation per segment policy quite seriously. We have one on this leg (and another on the second week) but enquired if there was room yesterday, it being embarkation day. There was, however if we took up yesterday's empty space we'd need to give up our booking in two days time, so we left it. Probably good they have a policy they stick to, we'll ask around the end of the week when everyone's had a chance and see if they have any space. It does look like a great restaurant space and the bar is, as suggested, the nicest on the ship.

There was the Retreat open house and a bunch of spa events, not sure they timed the former very well as most people were sitting around waiting for their suites and didn't want to drag themselves and the bags to a party. I haven't even found the space yet. The spa is in full up-sell mode today.

MDR dinner last night was not wonderful. Both the quality and the presentation were noticeably lacking. This may be our first disappointing meal on Seabourn ever in very many nights of cruising. We'll hope for improvement a and try the other dining venues to see if they offer better fare. Else we'll be eating a ton of club sandwiches the next two weeks.

Happy to answer any questions as and when I remember to connect to internet.

Rols,

I hope you have an enjoyable cruise on Encore and I am sure everyone who is reading your reviews will agree! Our friends who were on the maidens of both Encore and Ovation say that the Ovation is a smoother operation from Encore’s last year and so I trust that those improvements are now shared by both ships.

That said, I think that the main problem - to the extent that others might find problems with Encore and Ovation - is that they simply don’t have the space per passenger as the Odyssey class ships. The MDR, Grand Salon and pool area are about the same size on ships that can hold 150 more passengers. This does not suit me at all. The Colonnade, TK and Seabourn Square are larger (the Club is smaller!) but they don’t make up for needs of the 150. For example, there is the same setup for barista service in Seabourn Square as on the Ody ships. But how can it serve you as efficiently.

One easy remedy, but one the bean counters don’t want to hear, is to reduce capacity by maybe 50 for awhile and see what happens. And obviously to tear down that silly Retreat and restore deck space - which is far less that what’s on the Ody ships - for everyone’s use such as for deck sports. That would go some ways to improving matters.

I look forward to seeing how you settle in. Enjoy your cruise and let us know what Mrs Rols decided about the wine.

Happy and healthy sailing!

I'm on Encore now and had a wonderful dinner in the TK grill last night

Had a salad in the Colonnade when we arrived at lunchtime no problem getting my Evian water in any venue,crew seem friendly and efficient and there are a few that I know and the excellent Boji is Hotel director.

I'm liking the suite and think that the ship is much nicer in design and is brighter in some areas.

I have not been up to the Edsel suite to see how bad it is and may not even bother myself.

Good selection of wines on the revenue list but not tried anything from the included pour only Evian water.

Just left Mahon in Majorca and we are on route to Marseille.

Haven't seen any weak links yet

Lovely ship.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Forums mobile app

First full day - Mahon. As often happens we're tempted to stay on board the first day, and it being Sunday with the gin museum closed we did.

The area downstairs from Colonnade, at the back of TK grill is a wonderful venue for breakfast, very quiet. Any trip to the buffet requires the stairs but they're wide and it was worth it for the peace and quiet. Coffee service at Seabourn Square is improved over the O class as the machine is larger, the poor guy behind the bar was rushed off his feet, would be good to put two staff there as it's very popular. It's a good place for a quick coffee and danish breakfast if you're trying not to start the day with a full plate.

The pool deck does get pretty crowded by midday. The patio grill lunch was very good especially as the fish was fresh grilled and tasty. Again when things got busy the staff were a bit pushed but they kept the service coming. There are lots of nice places elsewhere on the ship to hide out, back of Seabourn Square is very cosy and if you like sun there's a lot of sunny spots.

Tonight is formal and the Tim Rice show which we're looking forward to. They run two shows at night which is handy for choice, might also represent the difficulty of getting 600 people fed and into one venue by 2045.

I have not been up to the Edsel suite to see how bad it is and may not even bother myself.

Visited Edsel earlier today, no people in evidence. Observation bar downstairs was a much jollier place. The sun terrace in front of Edsel is quite easily accessible but with the sun beating down today, only the brave and well-lotioned were there.

Agree on the suites, ours is a delight and we appreciate enough plugs to charge everything we brought. Bed's so comfortable we nearly missed trivia due to afternoon nap.

Hi, we are new to Seabourn and will be boarding the Encore in Civitavecchia / Rome on the 25th. So reading your post with great interest. We have been cruising a lot on Regent and have always wanted to give Seabourn a try. Looking forward to the experience.

Quick question ; what are the WIFI costs and how good is the connection?

Interesting about the strict adherence to the “one reservation “ rule at TK.

We are traveling with another couple on a seven day cruise on Encore in October. We booked a reservation for 4 for one night and they booked a reservation for 4 on another night. All were booked on line. Is this a new secrete way to beat the system?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

CD is Chris Harley.

And we often walked into the TK at 6pm and got lucky. Several of us dined twice or more in 10 days.

The WIFI is terrrible on Encore. Don’t do it. We did better using our mobiles or iPads on roaming. It’s okay for whatsapp but terrible slow for internet. Think old dial-up modem 14.4k speed days. Cost is exorbitant but ok if you buy $19.95 for 2 hours and log on for 5 minutes at a time to download the odd email.

The jumbo shrimps, rib eye and lamb chops were the best dishes. Followed by the Dover sole and the Lobster. Stay well away from the artichoke. Caesar salad was not the best I had with too much Lemon and overrated. But lots of flair with table side preparation. We tried almost all the dishes and if you can eat it, you can order more than one main per person!

Interesting about the strict adherence to the “one reservation “ rule at TK.

We are traveling with another couple on a seven day cruise on Encore in October. We booked a reservation for 4 for one night and they booked a reservation for 4 on another night. All were booked on line. Is this a new secrete way to beat the system?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

When I was on in May I had one reservation on my own and then I joined friends as a third at the table. They also had a separate reservation for two. So yes we both dined twice in TK as did others, Then again, the ship was no where near full and the hostess told me that TK was not full every night. I would guess it varies by demand and how full the ship is.

First full day - Mahon. As often happens we're tempted to stay on board the first day, and it being Sunday with the gin museum closed we did.

The area downstairs from Colonnade, at the back of TK grill is a wonderful venue for breakfast, very quiet. Any trip to the buffet requires the stairs but they're wide and it was worth it for the peace and quiet. Coffee service at Seabourn Square is improved over the O class as the machine is larger, the poor guy behind the bar was rushed off his feet, would be good to put two staff there as it's very popular. It's a good place for a quick coffee and danish breakfast if you're trying not to start the day with a full plate.

The pool deck does get pretty crowded by midday. The patio grill lunch was very good especially as the fish was fresh grilled and tasty. Again when things got busy the staff were a bit pushed but they kept the service coming. There are lots of nice places elsewhere on the ship to hide out, back of Seabourn Square is very cosy and if you like sun there's a lot of sunny spots.

Tonight is formal and the Tim Rice show which we're looking forward to. They run two shows at night which is handy for choice, might also represent the difficulty of getting 600 people fed and into one venue by 2045.

You missed a treat - i’m In Mahon now and noticed Encore in the harbour earlier today. It’s a lively, quaint and charming little city.

CD is Chris Harley.

And we often walked into the TK at 6pm and got lucky. Several of us dined twice or more in 10 days.

The WIFI is terrrible on Encore. Don’t do it. We did better using our mobiles or iPads on roaming. It’s okay for whatsapp but terrible slow for internet. Think old dial-up modem 14.4k speed days. Cost is exorbitant but ok if you buy $19.95 for 2 hours and log on for 5 minutes at a time to download the odd email.

The jumbo shrimps, rib eye and lamb chops were the best dishes. Followed by the Dover sole and the Lobster. Stay well away from the artichoke. Caesar salad was not the best I had with too much Lemon and overrated. But lots of flair with table side preparation. We tried almost all the dishes and if you can eat it, you can order more than one main per person!

I liked the artichoke in May, steamed, cleanly trimmed, nice butter sauce. Perhaps out of season now? Lemon in Caesar is subjective. Then again I enjoyed the lobster though it’s on the rich side, by definition. The little lemon meringue pies were nice, too.

You missed a treat - i’m In Mahon now and noticed Encore in the harbour earlier today. It’s a lively, quaint and charming little city.

Having visited Mahon on a Sunday in July I would definitely not call it lively. It is probably quite different on other days of the week when most shops and the market is open. But on the Sunday there was only a tourist shop on the front port area and a few restaurants due to open at lunch time down the other end.

We enjoyed our walk and the view from the top was glorious but it was very quiet. It is definitely I place I would like to revisit on another day of the week.

Julie

It did look lovely but we were still suffering the effects of a bit too much travel and needed a rest day. There are no sea days these two legs so we grabbed a Sunday to take the day. Today la joiette so well be off.

Glad to hear you're all enjoying yourselves.

I suspect you're enjoying the much improved gym Mr L and attract quite a crowd as you deliver a master class in personal fitness :)

If you get the chance and if it's your thing make sure to try Sushi one evening. It's OK at lunchtime as an alternative to other venues but for us came into its own at night, particularly on longer voyages when you want to take a break from heavier foods.

I pretty much let them decide what to bring and ended up most enjoying the items I thought I would least enjoy. The eel was a delight.

The Tim Rice show works very well on Encore with the enhanced audio visual presentation.

Edsel suite indeed - you cheeky monkey :)

Henry :)

Glad to hear you're all enjoying yourselves.

I suspect you're enjoying the much improved gym Mr L and attract quite a crowd as you deliver a master class in personal fitness :)

If you get the chance and if it's your thing make sure to try Sushi one evening. It's OK at lunchtime as an alternative to other venues but for us came into its own at night, particularly on longer voyages when you want to take a break from heavier foods.

I pretty much let them decide what to bring and ended up most enjoying the items I thought I would least enjoy. The eel was a delight.

The Tim Rice show works very well on Encore with the enhanced audio visual presentation.

Edsel suite indeed - you cheeky monkey :)

Henry :)

Gym is great and they have the aircon full blast which you needed today, it’s blazing hot.

Sushi is on the list, we nearly did the kaiseki last night but went to the MDR and had a much better dinner than first night and some lovely company.

The Tim Rice show was very good, felt a little sorry for the cast having to do it again 20 minutes after the first performance.

Tonight TK so we’re saving the day’s calorie budget, however the wraps at lunch around the packed pool grill were too tempting not to try.

Room stewardess has been perfect and even scored us up the current wine list which I’ll post later.

Luke the TK restaurant manager is excellent and knowledgeable about the ingredients and how the dishes are made.[ATTACH]426906[/ATTACH]

Luke was on Sojourn at Christmas. and was a superb asset to the TK Grill. Good to know that he's been promoted*, it's well deserved.

*I don't mean promoted in the correct sense, I mean promoted as in moved to the bigger ship. I see that as a move up, given the difference in size between the TK Grills on the O class ships and the new ones.

I'm rambling....:o

Gym is great and they have the aircon full blast which you needed today, it’s blazing hot.

Sushi is on the list, we nearly did the kaiseki last night but went to the MDR and had a much better dinner than first night and some lovely company.

The Tim Rice show was very good, felt a little sorry for the cast having to do it again 20 minutes after the first performance.

Tonight TK so we’re saving the day’s calorie budget, however the wraps at lunch around the packed pool grill were too tempting not to try.

Room stewardess has been perfect and even scored us up the current wine list which I’ll post later.

Ooo... re: wines - we found the Louis Latour Chardonnay and the Castlerock Pinot Noir to be our two favourites on the complimentary list. And several others were also regularly ordering them.

Random notes we discovered:

The teas in the observation bar was the best - proper loose leaf tea. Even TK were onto teabags and our waiter was kind enough to arrange a pot from the O bar just for us at dinner time. We managed a pot of tea outsides afternoon tea time by asking nicely specifically what we wanted and that it was available at the O bar.

- the restaurant did send courses on the main nightly menu to our room via room service if we were already dining and didn’t want to wait. Usually dessert. We didn’t do this often.

- the O bar also had the best complimentary liquor range. Some very drinkable single domain cognac and gin. You can specify what vodka or gin also for cocktails as the house pour varies from Bombay sapphire to Hendricks to Tanqueray 10 - all on the included list.

Off the top of my head it was Patron and Don Julio. The entry level although they had both anejo and reposado one evening.

Herradura anejo was on the paid list if I recall correctly

Edited by Bestie098