Wine List

envirochick

Hello all,

This board has been so helpful to me in planning my first Seabourn cruise. There were a few wine lists floating around, yet I took Seabourn veteran’s advice and asked for a current list at the square. Before the evening was over it was in our suite. Then 2 days later I received an update. This is from Sojourn Alaska, so ymmv. Thanks again for all the help. 0602d1518de17209661e2c53fa69c7b9.jpg

• Like 1

We were on Ovation in June and while some of the wines were the same, others were different. I expect that this is the way it usually is. I only drink white wine and especially liked the Clarandelle which is on this list. I didn't see it at first. From this list, I would try the Viogniers. I wouldn't know (without a list) that they were available!!!!!

Thank you so much for posting this list! I will ask for one right away on our next voyage.

The Santa Margherita Pino Grigio has been on BOTH Encore and Ovation when we have sailed with them. It is not my favorite, but seems to be a favorite of SB.

Many of the wines keep changing, but some remain the same. I’ve been on many cruises in which my preferred wine gets used up and doesn’t get replaced.

Many of us have been on longer cruises where the availability of many wines is exhausted and we await the next shipment with anticipation. I’m always frustrated with this answer “. Yes, we received a new shipment of wine but it’s still awaiting to be unpacked and inventoried “.

Even wines on the premium list have only a few bottles in inventory at any given time...

On our recent Quest cruise where there were some of the same wines as noted on the Ody list posted here I really enjoyed the Vistamar Reserve Syrah with beef. Of course the Malbec would also be a good choice for steak.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We also enjoyed the vistamar Syrah. Our cabin stewardess was from chile and she approved of our cabin choice!!

So looking at the Ody list, what would you have with a steak at TK? Shiraz Cab or Zinfandel? Just dreamin' :) We may carry on a better choice.

We fall prey far too easily to the premium wine list at TK. They have a very nicely curared collection that highlighted many past favorites from our wine country trips.

Speaking of... are the TK wines also available for purchase in the piano bar? (We have yet to sail on one of the big ships but have a plethora of OBC on our upcoming Ovation sailing... always good for good wine!)

Yes certainly some very good reasonably priced wines on the Premium List (particularly with an extra perk of 25% off). We usually order a number of bottles during each cruise irrespective of having shipboard credit however the OP did not ask about the Premium List. And of course the TK Grill has its own premium list thought I have been able to order from the MDR Premium List while dining there.

And FYI Mr L I do think you meant Saasicaia.

Yes certainly some very good reasonably priced wines on the Premium List (particularly with an extra perk of 25% off). We usually order a number of bottles during each cruise irrespective of having shipboard credit however the OP did not ask about the Premium List. And of course the TK Grill has its own premium list thought I have been able to order from the MDR Premium List while dining there.

And FYI Mr L I do think you meant Saasicaia.

I meant Sassicaia actually

Your spelling is as bad as mine I think.[emoji3]

We fall prey far too easily to the premium wine list at TK. They have a very nicely curared collection that highlighted many past favorites from our wine country trips.

Speaking of... are the TK wines also available for purchase in the piano bar? (We have yet to sail on one of the big ships but have a plethora of OBC on our upcoming Ovation sailing... always good for good wine!)

I ordered wine at the TK bar every evening sometimes from the TK list and sometimes from the main dining room list which was promptly delivered.

This time I did not try any of the included wines as I struggle to find anything that I like and drink at restaurants on land.

What happened to the complimentary Sancerre and the Cotes du Rhone? These are the wines I usually request.

Linda

Yes, totally agree...the Sancerre was one of my favorites! And do love the Cote du Rhône as well.

On this list, the Feudi Greco di Tufo & Paco y Lola Albariño are favorites...wish they bring back the Sancerre as well...

Mr. L touché! Serves me right for trying to type while sitting out on the sun.

As to wines on the house list - such as the noted missing Sancerre and Cotes du Rhône - I think one of the reasons Seabourn is hesitant to hand out the list is because some passengers get fixated on it and expect the same on every cruise or get annoyed when they run out of a particular wine mid cruise. Yes there are some that always seem to be on every list on every cruise - Oyster Bay Sauv Blanc, Santa Margherita PG, Banfi Chianti - but for the most part the list is very fluid and I think it is unrealistic to expect that just because they had it on your last cruise they will have it on your next cruise. If an old favorite is missing try some others and I’m sure you will find a reasonable substitute. And if that does not work enjoy the well priced selections on the Premium List.

I ordered wine at the TK bar every evening sometimes from the TK list and sometimes from the main dining room list which was promptly delivered.

This time I did not try any of the included wines as I struggle to find anything that I like and drink at restaurants on land.

Good plan - the included wines were not at all good, we never found one we liked on this cruise which is unusual. The whites were acidic and the reds I don't have a good description for. This from two passengers who actually like the Nicky Folly champagne so not the most refined of palettes. We took to popping into whatever shops we found in town and grabbing something local which looked interesting for not many euros then had that opened for dinner. Some were quite good, some less so, all better than the house pour. At least you can do that on Seabourn.

Did buy off the TK premium list, wasn't bad, didn't even think to look at the shipwide list, wish I had.

Certainly buying wine on shore and bringing it on board to drink with dinner (or lunch) is an option and one we have employed on a number of cruises - such as in Europe and South Africa. However it is not always as option as was the case on our recent cruise from Reykjavik to Montreal..

• 7 months later...

A couple of interesting wines on the complimentary list, but substantial improvement on the premium list. What is the experience with the Connoisseurs selection? Presumably 3 or 6 wines out of the premium list? An average price in the $70s. Value for money here?  Does anyone have any insight here?

Hilarious! It would be abundantly clear to most folks mildly familiar with a decent international wine list that what we see of the SB complimentary list is quite mediocre and definitely at the cheap end of the wine shop spectrum. Don’t need no wine-searcher to reveal the truth there. The problem for those that appreciate “nice” wine is to find some value in the SB Premium offerings, where the “Recommended Premiums” are significantly overpriced. SB will sell the Veuve Clicquot Le Grande Dame for $294, whilst is can be had at the local wine shop for $160. The basic Veuve Yellow is $64 as against $44 in the local; The St Henri Shiraz is $134/$64; Louis Latour Gevrey Chambertin is $99/$53; and so on. You might think offshore wine with no taxes even with simple storage would be cheaper, but no. And then SB add salt to the offerings by offering a lottery of wines in the Silver and Gold Collections. IF the Silver/Gold wines are nominated from the listed Premiums, the average price for the Collections is about $75 for the reds against about $110 for the whole Premium range, so maybe a little value there. At the same time the average for the premium range at “the local” is closer to $60. Overall the Collections might still be a trifle overpriced relative to the “local wine shop” but maybe worth the plunge to bookend an otherwise great cruise? So the question to the “oenophiles”, who might have “availed” themselves of either of the collections, are they selected from the list of Premiums as nominated? Are there more or less Premiums included at time of actual sailing? There is also a rumor, that the Premiums and the respective collections are actually “discounted” heavily once the cruise has begun. Any truth in this?

As Chairsin said above, some get a 25% price reduction which relates to their Seabourn Club status.

FWIW, we find the wines, both included and premium lists, good for us and when priced favorable to what other cruise lines we know offer.

If you want to shlep your own wines aboard you can and there is no corkage fee.

Happy and healthy sailing!