Celebrity Today for AUS to NZ on Solstice

450ZX

Doing the above trip in November. Does anybody have recent copies of Celebrity Today for this itinerary so we can make some advance plans?

Hi, I did the 14 night reverse cruise last November (Auckland to Sydney) there's a link to my review in my signature if you're interested, also, I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have :)

I cant see the relevance of a Celebrity Today for a trip in November. Bar times and meal times remain pretty constant on all ships and day to day events change from cruise to cruise. What type of plans do you see info on?

• 2 weeks later...
Hi, I did the 14 night reverse cruise last November (Auckland to Sydney) there's a link to my review in my signature if you're interested, also, I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have :)

Great photo's and review cruise kitty! Glad you enjoyed your trip to New Zealand. :)I am doing this cruise January 17th next year. Will be nice to sail from my home port of Auckland.

Kiwichick62,

I am doing the same cruise from Auckland this coming November. I would like your recommendation for the best way to experience the Glow Worms. Currently I have booked an excursion to Kawiti caves from Bay of Islands. Would you recommend that or do you have another recommendation? Thanks.

BTW, if you have any other “must see” for natural flora, fauna, geology that would be accessible from the ports of call please pass them along. I am excited to visit your country.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi VitaminSea53.

I haven't been to the Kawiti caves in the Bay of Islands. Bay of Islands is a lovely part of NZ. Looking at your itinerary I see you have two days in Tauranga. You could do a day trip from there to the Waitomo Caves which NZ is better known for. It is a nearly two hour drive so it would take a lot of your day to get there and back but it is quite a scenic drive through mostly countryside to get there. We did a trip to Waitomo last year and toured two of the caves, both were excellent. Another option from Tauranga is a visit to Rotorua, excellent for the geothermal areas and Maori cultural experiences. The Rotorua lakes are very scenic as are the parks. You can also wander around Tauranga, sit on the beach (late spring time so it may not be the warmest for swimming.)

South Island - from the ports of Picton, Akaroa, Dunedin - There are many wineries in these areas. You may like to swim with the dolphins or go on the boat to watch them. There are tours to see penguins, albatross and sea lions. Each port also offer harbour tours.

If you like train trips then the Taiere Gorge train trip is highly rated, you get to see some amazing scenery. This departs from Dunedin and if you book the trip through the cruise line the train comes to the port.

From most ports you can do bush walks, very safe as we have no snakes or dangerous animals to worry about. Let me know if there is anything else you would like to know. Have a fantastic trip and report back.

Cheers, Heather.

Kawiti Caves in the bay of Islands are not as commercial as the more famous Waitomo Caves. The are operated by a Maori Family Trust. If one has never seen Glow worm caves before these would provide a very good introduction. Be advised though that one needs have a reasonable amount of fitness as there is some up and down walking through the board walks in the caves.

I would counsel against a day trip from Tauranga to Waitomo caves unless it was a ships excursion. There are just too many factors that can go wrong and miss the ship because of the distance to travel. Its a long way to go from Waitomo to the next port if you miss the ship

We recently did a combination of a cruise on Solstice and a road trip. I can recommend Kawiti Caves. They were a smaller family run operation and our guide was informative and enthusiastic. It was quite dark inside the caves but you had a lantern to use when walking within the cave and could turn it on and off as necessary. Also in the Bay of Islands there is the Treaty House not far from Paihia. History told on the beautiful grounds. There is a very good cultural show if you are staying overnight and can return the next day to see the museum and Treaty House as well as a visit to the gift shop and cafe.

We enjoyed the Te Papa Museum in Wellington but we're really wowed with the War Memorial Museum in Aukland. Also from Aukland you can take the ferry across to Waiheke Island. Beautiful scenery and great wineries like Cable Vineyards, Mudbrick, and Casito Miro.

While in the Port of Tauranga, if you decide to go to Rotorua, which is about 75 miles away, visit the Buried Village. A truly interesting though tragic story. Don't miss walking along the waterfall if you are up for it.

Dunedin-we booked an independent tour with Castle Cruises. An enjoyable visit to Larnach Castle with an hour guided tour and an hour on your own to explore and take pictures or a break in the cafe. A full day option also includes local stops like the beautiful RR Station.

Akaroa-If you stay in port, be sure to visit the Giant's House and definitely bring your camera. Modern glass mosaics in life-size figures. Admission fee ($20) but unique place and beautiful gardens. Pop inside and watch the video so understand how it came to be. It is a short walk off the main street up an inclined street.

Picton-Take advantage of this premier wine tasting spot in the Marlborough region with "Your Local Chauffer" visiting wineries like Alan Scott and St. Clair with scenery not to be missed.

Enjoy!;)