Singapore hotel suggestions

Isklaar

I'm interested in hotel recommendations from my fellow Seabourn regulars for a 3 day stay before boarding Ovation.

It's been about 4 years since I was last there. I stayed at the MO (Club level) and apart from the 'strange' dark lobby area, I enjoyed the service and the F&B was very good too. I liked the location.

I would stay there again but am open to trying somewhere different.

I'm not interested in staying at Marina Bay Sands, having spent 10 minutes in the lobby there last time it reminded me of the dreadful Burj al Arab. More about attracting tourists to gawp than providing an elegant and sophisticated hotel experience to its guests. (JMO!)

Apart from that, I'm open to suggestions.

We liked the Shangri La, just beyond the top end of Orchard Road. In particular, one dinner at their ground floor Chinese restaurant, which was lovely - it was Chinese New Year, and was pretty full of locals, so I would say that speaks for itself. But a few years since we were there, so others may say it has gone off, perhaps.

I'm interested in hotel recommendations from my fellow Seabourn regulars for a 3 day stay before boarding Ovation.

It's been about 4 years since I was last there. I stayed at the MO (Club level) and apart from the 'strange' dark lobby area, I enjoyed the service and the F&B was very good too. I liked the location.

I'm not interested in staying at Marina Bay Sands, having spent 10 minutes in the lobby there last time it reminded me of the dreadful Burj al Arab. More about attracting tourists to gawp than providing an elegant and sophisticated hotel experience to its guests. (JMO!)

Apart from that, I'm open to suggestions.

As Singaporeans we live here more than stay here, but we've tried many of them over the years and spend a few nights every year 'in town'. I'm with you on Marina Bay Sands, and nobody I've talked to who stayed there really liked it much. Mandarin Oriental is always good, in fact all the hotels along that stretch are, MO, Oriental and our favourite for a long time, Ritz Carlton.

In the Orchard area we always love The Four Seasons.

The Intercontinental (the one at Bugis) is a lovely and under-appreciated hotel. Great service, really good location.

Capella on Sentosa is a complete oasis. If you want to go exploring it's not ideal because you have to cab in and cab out, but it's a really lovely hotel for just chilling out.

I believe a lot of people on the board love the Shangri-La, I like eating there, I didn't like the one time we stayed there but we may have just had a bad stay.

My wife and I have stayed at the Ritz Carlton (Club Floor - Premier Harbour View) twice before/after cruises. We are booked in there again next February, following a cruise on Ovation.

The Ritz Carlton (Club Floor) is not only our favourite in Singapore, but one of our favourites in the world. I believe it is owned & run by a licensee - and all the better for it.

We once booked to spend 4 Nights in Raffles, but checked out after 1 night and headed to the Ritz Carlton for the rest of our stay.

The views across Marina Bay, both from the bedroom and the Club are wonderful, particularly at night.

The F&B in the Club Lounge is extensive and of a high quality, served throughout the day until at least 10pm.

The service, across all departments, we have found to be outstanding.

Having stayed in the MO next door you will know and presumably like the area, so if you are looking to try something different, but with some familiarity, the Ritz Carlton may be a good bet.

My wife and I have stayed at the Ritz Carlton (Club Floor - Premier Harbour View) twice before/after cruises. We are booked in there again next February, following a cruise on Ovation.

The Ritz Carlton (Club Floor) is not only our favourite in Singapore, but one of our favourites in the world. I believe it is owned & run by a licensee - and all the better for it.

Ritz Carlton has constantly been our favourite hotel in the city, it's very good. The accommodation is better I think than the food, but there are lots of places to eat. I probably should have praised it more in my reply but I was trying to be fair .. and it is a little further from the subway.

We like the Four Seasons

We have stayed at the Ritz Carlton and the Four Season and Mandarin. You can’t go wrong with either. My advice is to go to Trip Advisor and look at reviews on all these properties. Trip Advisor is a wonderful source for information.

I am glad that you rules out the Marina Bay Sands. Having visited there but never stayed there my observations were:

Way too big.

A lot of people.

A lot of large groups.

Not for us although obviously some enjoy it.

You have been given several good recommendations already.

It is likely that very few people have stayed at all of those already recommended to compare.

I've stayed at two of the ones recommended. Four Seasons and Ritz Carlton. For me I highly recommend Ritz Carlton and I like its Club Floor. Nice lounge to enjoy breakfast and/or an afternoon or evening snack and/or a drink. Beautiful hotel. As some have mentioned we enjoy the views from our room and from the club lounge. For me it works well.

I am glad to hear you want to try something new and the nice things about Singapore is that there are several wonderful hotel options.

Whatever you decide have a great time. Since you have been to Singapore before you have a good sense of the city. Hopefully you can visit places that you might not have had time to see the first time for touring as well as enjoy additional possibilities for dining.

Keith

I am looking at the Ritz for an upcoming brief stay in Singapore. For those who have stayed in a Club room do you remember the champagne they serve?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'd like to know that too!

Thanks everyone for all of your suggestions - I'm spoilt for choice.

Gravitating towards RC Club level. For this trip one of us will be working most days of the 'holiday' (anyone care to guess which one of us:rolleyes:) so it's important to have a decent amount of working space and that the F&B offered by the hotel is good as I'll be working there at lunchtime.

I am looking at the Ritz for an upcoming brief stay in Singapore. For those who have stayed in a Club room do you remember the champagne they serve?

I think it was Louis Roederer. I know they had a couple of varieties of vintage champagnes. I couldn't go past the rose champagne, it was delicious.

As a local, I would suggest Ritz Carlton, Fullerton Bay(Not Fullerton, but a newer sister hotel), and JW Marriott South Beach and Andaz in the Marina Bay/City Area.

And Four Seasons if want to stay near Orchard Area.

:)

Another local! I've stayed in all the hotels in this thread apart from Goodwood Park, Andaz and JW Marriott. I forgot the new South Beach complex, it's a really nice building, I have no idea what the JW is like, have you stayed there? From the outside it looks pretty chic, despite being opposite the Raffles Hotel building site, but the Tripadvisor reviews are very polarised. Not sure they have quite reached their A game yet.

Agree that Fullterton Bay beats the heck out of Fullerton, Fullerton has a nice building but really tiny rooms, I like just walking through Fullterton Bay on the way to Sabai, it's a lovely hotel. Ritz Carlton never disappoints, Four Seasons has the best bar and great rooms, better now that all the construction around there finished a few years ago; depends which end of town you want to be.

I love the St. Regis and Ritz Carlton. I’ve also had great stays at the Conrad and Grand Hyatt (both had fantastic club lounge breakfasts).

In my younger days, I enjoyed the pool-level cabana rooms at the Sheraton. Hotel was nothing spectacular, but it was nice to have that easy access, especially in the evenings.

If you wantva gracious setting with lawn, gardens and a large pool on the ground then the Shangri la is for you. Then splurge for the Valley Wing’s benefits for more luxury with premium champagne and hors d’oeuvres etc off an exclusive lobby.

Some of the othet hotels mentioned are cold and too modern for my taste. You are in tropics but all you get is cement, glass, some potted plants and pools on a small roof top or perched on a high floor.

Happy and healthy sailing!

We liked our view from the Mo but that’s about it. Worst breakfast buffet ever.

I was Club level at MO and had an excellent breakfast cooked to order and served to my table in the lounge each morning. If I did stay there again I'd book Club level again thus avoiding the buffet breakfast so it's not an issue.